Are All Escape Windows Dark-Tinted? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Are All Escape Windows Dark-Tinted?

Every time there's a thread about windows, I think about mine, but rather than derail a thread, I'll start one of my own:

I notice, especially in Autumn as the days grow short, that sitting in our 2019 Escape in early morning or late afternoon, I turn the lights on because it's getting dark out. But then I step outside, and it's not dark at all! The rather smoky tint of our frameless windows has shortened the day even further.

Well, the obvious solution is to spend less time inside and more out, but sometimes it's cold outside, baby.

Doubtless many camping in hot summer afternoons and running their ACs will relish the darkened windows, keeping the cool in and the heat out. Maybe we will, too, though we've yet to need the AC since we got Farther Along (our new trailer name) last April.

Anyway, I was just wondering whether tinting, and its degree, is ever an option, or is it decreed by the Escape Production gods on high? I think if I had a choice with a new build, I'd pick a lighter tint for some windows, and maybe no tint at all for some others (e.g. the one over the galley).

It's just an idle question, as we're not building a new one anytime soon, but might be of interest to some in the process.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Every Escape I have owned and seen has the tinted windows......
Old 01-17-2023, 04:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes they are all tinted except the front window of your 19. You can be thankful of that and that you do have a front window. The 5 does not and the 21 if selected is a much smaller window.

We agree the trailer is darkish inside. Our last 19 ft stick trailer with smaller and few windows appeared lighter. We got the kitchen window which helps but I would have liked it to be 3 times the width.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #4

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We ordered our 21C with the additional front window and the window over the drawer set so we would have more natural light.

I'm okay with the tinting though. Having had cataract surgery in both eyes I where sunglasses a lot.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 E19
Just a guess, but since all windows (except for the front covered one) are double glazed, I bet that Lippert uses the same tinted float glass for both panes when they are manufactured. That would explain why the windows appear darker on Escape trailers vs much of the competition (which tend to use single pane windows as standard).

If that is indeed the case, I doubt Lippert would offer any option for a lighter tint version of a double-glaze unit. However, if you are able order a single-glaze version in the same size, the tint might be lighter (though much less thermally efficient/condensation resistant).
Selkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
We had the opposite experience. The 5.0 has more windows on one side than the Rpod had in total. It is considerably lighter (the modern interior panelling helps too) inside. The darkened windows did fool us though, on our first couple of nights in the PNW a few weeks ago. With the sun rising at 8 and setting at 4 with clouds and rain all day, along with dark windows to boot, you kinda felt you should be wearing your headlamp all day. A little too much for this desert rat.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I believe our 2010 17B with single pane windows were a lighter shade than our "thermal windows". ETI's Hehr rep told back in 2014 that the best attribute in his opinion of the dual pane was sound attenuation, i.e. quieter. He said Hehr was hesitant to go the dual pane route, yet the competition made them do it.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I believe our 2010 17B with single pane windows were a lighter shade than our "thermal windows". . .
That would tend to validate Selkirk's hypothesis.