Avoiding Rookie Mistakes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'll have to have another look at my Rubbermaid trays. Maybe glue one of those in place. Problem is, I usually stack cans in that cupboard, making it worse.

Twelve years we've had this trailer and still figuring out storage.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't." Pete Seeger

Notice there are no mistakes involved, even if there is a bit of a mess to clean up afterward.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I cracked a WDH mount with a too tight back up to a Veteranians office door. The Lefty dog had previously had a sizure, and things were in Code Red. Forget all that stuff....take whatever time it takes to do the job, correctly. Don't get or be rushed! Lefty was well over his issue by that time, I had a new issue (busted WDH) to deal with. And that worked out to my benefit in meeting some swell folks.
But do do the checklist thing. Pilots use them,....as mentioned, I do too, because we are very fallible folks.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
I print my checklists on legal paper. I check each item off as I go around the inside and outside of the rig. One thing to check that I did not notice on this thread is to make sure the drawers are fully closed by pushing on them. If they are not latched they will pop open on a turn.

The checklist has spaces for mileage in and out, time in and out and room for a grocery list on the bottom. The checklist goes on a clipboard and each night I use it to update my log. Driving times and mileage are handy for later reference.

The comment about not leaving the water pump on or water hose turned on while gone was a good one. I seldom get a hookup, but when I do I fill the tank rather than use the hose connection. That way I will hear the water pump if there is a dripping faucet. Years ago my parents did major damage to their trailer when the toilet valve hung on a chunk of toilet paper and the flush valve was cracked. Flush water filled the black water tank and overflowed the toilet. They got up to an awful mess and years later parts of the floor rotted.

The comment about getting ready to go without distractions was also good. The only times I have goofed was when a busybody was 'supervising' the hookup!
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnB View Post
The comment about getting ready to go without distractions was also good. The only times I have goofed was when a busybody was 'supervising' the hookup!

I've found it difficult when my buddy helps, and he has his own Escape 19, so he knows what he's doing.
I do a double-check when I get 'help'.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One thing I have always followed is when hooking up or unhooking, try to stay focused. Usually someone comes over to say hello or goodbye and distracts you from the job at hand. I ask them politely to please wait until I'm done if unhooking or say my goodbyes and then get back to the job. But talking and trying to do both do not mix.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Before pulling out always, ALWAYS do the eagle-eye walk-around, looking for issues that will bite you.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m usually hooked up and ready to go before Rita is. She does more than I do. I used to fold up our chairs and put them under the trailer behind the wheels at night especially with the awning stowed. I never drove away with them there but a couple times when she came out of the trailer and asked “ready to go” as I looked around and saw the chairs I said “just about, have to get the chairs yet.” Now I put the chairs in the front seat of the tow vehicle. No chance of leaving them, running over them forward or backward, and they are dry in case it’s rained overnight. Like others, I do not like answering questions while hooking up and readying the trailer to tow. I don’t mind hellos but will admit that a day later I’ve noticed three stabilizers down and one still up.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Look high, look low, look everywhere you go.

Look high, look low, look everywhere you go.

Words of hard wrought wisdom from a buddy, who left his cookware safely hanging in a tree, after the first day of a Yukon River canoe trip. Remembered this after a days paddling and getting ready to cook dinner. Was cooking in tin cans and improvised cutlery the rest of the 2 week trip.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
When you get to your destination, open the fridge door slowly so that your beer does not fall on the floor and break!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The worst thing that has happened to me with beer in the last 6 years is having a six pack fall out of the Highlander when I opened the hatch. Two broke, the seal was cracked on two ( so I had to drink them) and two were ok. Luckily they were cold, I had a way to clean up the mess, it was only a few miles to more beer and best of all I had a case and a half in the cooler. I always try to look on the bright side but two beers wasted is hard to look at for me.
I’m going to build a picnic table with 2X10s one of these days. The center top board I’m going
to slot out so a piece of rain gutter will drop in. In the trough will be my ready beer supply on ice. A friend from California sent me a picture of this modification with the caption “Thinking of you”!
Iowa Dave
Old 02-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA "Catalyst"
Use a checklist before moving everytime!

I have an 8 ft box on my truck. So when unhooking up my fifth-wheel, if the truck-camper connection is at any kind of angle, the lowered tailgate won't clear the front of the camper. When that happens I "just barely" close the tailgate until I can pull forward enough to disengage the king-pin. Experienced RVer's are wincing now at what happens next. I forget that the tailgate is "just barely" closed and pull forward until the kingpin smacks into the tailgate. Moral: Have a checklist and use it repeatedly and religiously.
Cleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
When you pull into a site, BEFORE YOU UNHITCH, check that the electrical post actually works, AND that your cord will reach from trailer to post.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
For any rookie I highly recommend the Casita A-Z Owners Guide. VERY helpful and 95% applies to an Escape or any other fiberglass trailer.

A-Z Casita Owner's Guide
Old 03-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 17b
Door

Always use the deadlock on your outside door when you're driving. My first trip the door flew open in the middle of commuter traffic in Seattle when it was locked
Jinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Make sure you have a jack and tire iron for a flat tire. I did that, and had a flat my second outing. Was prepared. Now looking at Tire pressure sensors for the trailer.
jkcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #37

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hitch Considerations

When backing up, disengage and remove your sway bar.

Also, when backing up, consider removing your weight distribution hitch trunion bars.

When hitching up, after dropping and locking the trailer coupler onto the trailer ball, crank the tongue jack up until the tow vehicle starts to raise up to verify that the trailer is, in fact, locked onto the trailer ball.

Also when hitching up, to facilitate attaching your weight distribution hitch's trunion bars onto the trailer, crank the trailer's tongue jack up to slightly raise the tow vehicle.

LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I agree—use pre-trip and pre-departure from camp site check lists. There’s a lot to check on!

Be sure the tongue has fully fallen onto the hitch ball.

If you have an electric awning, be sure the control switch inside is turned off before driving.

Always walk around and inspect your rig before driving off, and check the lights.

Practice dropping your hand automatically to the brake controller and applying only trailer brakes if your rig starts to wobble at speed.

Turn off your fridge if you’re parked on much of an incline for awhile. But be sure to start it again when you get underway!
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Practice dropping your hand automatically to the brake controller and applying only trailer brakes if your rig starts to wobble at speed.
Yes, please do this. I had a situation where I was light on the tongue, going a little too fast and was hit by a crosswind. Sway started and I was able to reach down and apply just the trailer brakes to get it under control. I am forever grateful that I read about this somewhere and had practiced it beforehand.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #40

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
When backing up, disengage and remove your sway bar.

Are you talking about backing up in general, or just when backing into a space in the campground and plan to unhitch from the tow vehicle?

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote