Awnings - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Seems like a lot of these threads go kind of off the rails with heated arguments.... New guy here but on lots of forums that mutual respect without animosity reigns..
Old 08-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Seems like a lot of these threads go kind of off the rails with heated arguments.... New guy here but on lots of forums that mutual respect without animosity reigns..
I agree totally! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you do not need to think that your opinion is the right one for everyone.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good grief.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
And the assertion that awnings are only for shade is garbage. Maybe motorized ones can only handle sun but most people want something that can work with sun and rain.
Agreed. The Carefree Fiesta Owner’s Manual even discusses how to adjust the pitch to handle rain. These awnings take your typical rainstorm in stride. If it gets real nasty of course you should retract any awning.
Attached Thumbnails
54ED2350-F768-4D29-B198-D491CBEDC329.jpg  
Old 08-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Not sure what the point of these posts are, some of us like the motorized awning, some don't. If you don't like the motorized awning replace it, and vice versa. Neither one is "junk". Geez
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
I think the point of these and other posts is that someone gets very frustrated and shares their upset. Then other folks chime in with their own experience, often with a different perspective. Hearing from other people is good, helpful, soothing even. Isn't that what it's all about?
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Everyone has expectations when they make a purchase. Sometimes reality doesn't meet vision. I've seen it with motor vehicles too.

People are welcome to vent. It's when it crosses the line and attacks someone else for their opinion, that's when problems start. As long as venting is on product and not people, we're cool.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:16 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
You bring up a good point Donna.

I have the electric awning and I have stated the shortcomings in several threads.

However I still don't know which one I would choose if I had it to do over.

Go figure.

BTW, which trailer wax do you use again?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Back in the day I used to trapshoot. There was a fair degree of elitism displayed by those who could “afford”’high dollar shotguns. Two things affected me. One night a young guy showed up with a beat up $150 shotgun. Took home most of the prize money and all of the good packages of meat. “It was a meat shoot” with Hams etc. for prizes. A few weeks later I was paired with a stranger who had a very fancy shotgun. He made a remark about what I was shooting and it wasn’t complimentary. I picked up 4 of his five birds (that he had missed) and we won the event and the princely sum of $45. An hour later when that event came up again, he sought me out to be his partner. We came in second that time and won a few bucks apiece plus our entry money. I quit knocking other people’s equipment and quit paying attention to criticism of mine. Works for me.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Back in the day I used to trapshoot. There was a fair degree of elitism displayed by those who could “afford”’high dollar shotguns. Two things affected me. One night a young guy showed up with a beat up $150 shotgun. Took home most of the prize money and all of the good packages of meat. “It was a meat shoot” with Hams etc. for prizes. A few weeks later I was paired with a stranger who had a very fancy shotgun. He made a remark about what I ttwas shooting and it wasn’t complimentary. I picked up 4 of his five birds (that he had missed) and we won the event and the princely sum of $45. An hour later when that event came up again, he sought me out to be his partner. We came in second that time and won a few bucks apiece plus our entry money. I quit knocking other people’s equipment and quit paying attention to criticism of mine. Works for me.
Iowa Dave
Can’t agree with u more Dave. Once while on a dove hunt yrs ago, a young boy tagged along on this being his first dove hunt. We made sure he understood safety rules while hunting. We didn’t think he’d hit anything as he had an old single shot 410. We placed him in a safe area when the time came. 45 mins he came walking up with his limit. We all hung our heads n shame and congratulated greatly n told him he was welcome e to come hunt with us anytime he wanted to .

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Yawning awning!!!

Hi: All... Back before the great ETI kerfuffle Reace asked me if I'd want a new 5.0TA. I said IDK but I did like those new motorized awnings. HE JUST WINCED... that said it all. Made me happy I have what I have. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050278.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
The one reason that I’m bringing up the issue of motorized awnings 4 years after I got one is to warn people filling out their build sheet that motorized awnings are junk. And the assertion that awnings are only for shade is garbage. Maybe motorized ones can only handle sun but most people want something that can work with sun and rain. The Carefree Manual awning offered by Escape is the best choice IN MY OPINION.

OP's original post was unnecessarily inflammatory, but I agree with the general stated position that motorized awnings are not a good solution for people looking more for protection from rain than sun.

I can't speak to availability of manual awnings on older Escapes, etc.

I've owned RV's, and I like a manual awning because I use my awning covered area to protect things like shoes etc. from rain. Out of the gate, a manual awning is stiffer and better prepared for rain and the wind that usually comes with rain. Given some wind, the automatic awning will typically fold itself up.

When I'm expecting a bit of a blow, I loop ropes around the ends of my awning and tie it down so the wind cannot get under it a flip it up. I prefer to tie it to trees, but a picnic table or stakes will do as well.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
OP's original post was unnecessarily inflammatory

Why would you say it was inflammatory? Just because he has a strong opinion of the automatic awnings doesn't make it inflammatory. And the automatic awnings are junk if you want to use them in the rain. If you only want to use an awning for shade then I guess they are OK. But just barely OK.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Why would you say it was inflammatory?

Saying something is "JUNK" is deliberately inflammatory. He got exactly the reaction he wanted though.

If automatic awnings were agreed to be "JUNK" by everyone everywhere, then they would not exist. So calling them "JUNK" is making a statement designed to draw out the people that like them.

I don't like them. I would characterize them as "not well suited to providing rain protection."
Old 08-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Saying something is "JUNK" is deliberately inflammatory. He got exactly the reaction he wanted though.

If automatic awnings were agreed to be "JUNK" by everyone everywhere, then they would not exist. So calling them "JUNK" is making a statement designed to draw out the people that like them.

I don't like them. I would characterize them as "not well suited to providing rain protection."

Do you really think that he's "making a statement designed to draw out the people that like them"? I find that hard to agree with. To me he is just frustrated with their limited functionality.

The only difference between you and the OP is that your opinion could be considered "politically correct" while his is not.

I think this is a case of where as they say, we should agree to disagree.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I think this is a case of where as they say, we should agree to disagree.

Manners are actually a critical part of civilization. The internet grinds along on a lack of same largely due to anonymity, but that doesn't make manners unimportant.

You don't look at your buddies new trailer and blurt "That awning is JUNK" to his face because.....manners. If you know him really well you might suggest that the awning won't work out too good for him in the rain. Make sense?
Old 08-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #37

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Manners are actually a critical part of civilization. The internet grinds along on a lack of same largely due to anonymity, but that doesn't make manners unimportant.

You don't look at your buddies new trailer and blurt "That awning is JUNK" to his face because.....manners. If you know him really well you might suggest that the awning won't work out too good for him in the rain. Make sense?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-27-2021, 09:51 PM   #38

Quote:

You're as they say, comparing apples to oranges.
Have a good day
Old 08-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have owned manual awnings on all trailers, including my Escape 19, before getting the electric awning on my 5.0TA.

Both have benefits and drawbacks. These have been discussed a lot so I am not going to go into them.

I do want to say again, that it really irks me when those who chose the manual and haven't even owned an electric state the weaknesses of the electric awing. While there are weaknesses, there are many benefits. The one that gets me the most is that electric is no good in the rain. Well, we have used ours in the rain all the time, every time it rains. We have sat and enjoyed coffee or cocktails under the electric awning in the rain. We have had meals with a group of 6 under the electric awning in the rain. We have had other small groups under the electric awning in the rain.

If the weather is really ugly it is fully retracted, as I did with manual awnings in these circumstances.

I hold absolutely nothing against the manual awning and have enjoyed using them many, many times, other than one that collapsed in a heavy downpour.

I would like to see folks state their preference and then move on. We see some that prefer to go on and on about their choice providing justifications for making it. We see this on lots of things. The right choice for one person will not always be the same for another.

Moving on.....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
A decidedly diminished sense of decorum is rearing its head in this forum. Moving on.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote