Awnings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Awnings

I live in Northern PA. When I bought my trailer I ordered a manual awning. Reace called me on a Sunday night and needed to know the next day what I wanted because he could not figure out how to install a manual awning even though I said I wanted it 9 months previously. I chose the motorized awning and at this point I want other folks to know that the motorized awing is JUNK. Where I live it rains and the motorized awning is not good in the rain, it’s junk! It may be convenient if you want shade. But not if it rains. I now use a prop under the center of the awning to help shed rain, but none of this would be necessary with a manual awning.
I would suggest any new buyers NOT to choose the motorized awning.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Steve, ALL awnings are designed for shade. Although people use some awnings in the rain, that's not what they're designed for and what manufacturers state.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your awning, truly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
I live in Northern PA. When I bought my trailer I ordered a manual awning. Reace called me on a Sunday night and needed to know the next day what I wanted because he could not figure out how to install a manual awning even though I said I wanted it 9 months previously.
So, you are saying that Reace couldn't figure out how to install a manual awning on your 2017 trailer when they had been installing them for years. I have the manual awning on my 2009. Nonsense.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, you are saying that Reace couldn't figure out how to install a manual awning on your 2017 trailer when they had been installing them for years. I have the manual awning on my 2009. Nonsense.
Hummm, I'm surprised Reace didn't take this on. He liked to experiment....
Old 08-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Okay I have had my experiences with the auto awning.

Here's one from last week.

Sitting under it, out about 5 feet. In Michigan.

Then a sudden, heavy rainstorm occurred and before I could blink, the awning had so much water in it that it must have had 5 gallons. I stuck a stick up to relieve the water and wouldn't you know it, it almost hit the 30 amp service that was placed on the wrong side of the space. Hard to believe.

I did not think the awning could take that stress, but it did. It did go cadiwaumpus for a day or two but I got it go guide correctly after a bit.

I did not expect that one. They are suspect! For sure.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

Awnings

Quote:
Bull—it baglo he called me and said he needed a decision the next day. He offered a $345 credit if I chose no awning. Folks on this forum swooned and said how good of him to be working on Sunday.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #7

I am only contesting the statement that Reace said he couldn't figure out how to install a manual awning.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #8

Awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Steve, ALL awnings are designed for shade. Although people use some awnings in the rain, that's not what they're designed for and what manufacturers state.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your awning, truly.
So Donna, do you crank in your awning every time it starts to rain since you say they are only for shade? Do you ever deploy the awning in the rain?
Old 08-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #9

Awnings

Quote:
I am only contesting the statement that Reace said he couldn't figure out how to install a manual awning.
Contest all you want. That’s what he said.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Quote:
Bull—it baglo he called me and said he needed a decision the next day. He offered a $345 credit if I chose no awning. Folks on this forum swooned and said how good of him to be working on Sunday.
Escape only offered an electric awning when the new molds were introduced. Due to the new awning recess in the mold and straighter sides the old style manual Carefree Fiesta wouldn’t work without modification. I believe Reace tried another Carefree manual model on a couple 17’s but that didn’t work out well due to a restricted area for the crank against the shell. Based on the 2017 model year my guess is Steve’s trailer was produced during the time period when Reace hadn’t figured things out completely on all models. Eventually manual awnings were again made available on all models as standard with electric as the option.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Contest all you want. That’s what he said.
I don't know what that has to do with your issue, which is the automatic awning.
Anyway, thanks Rubicon for your analysis of the situation.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
So Donna, do you crank in your awning every time it starts to rain since you say they are only for shade? Do you ever deploy the awning in the rain?
Steve, I actually don't use my awning all that much. But when I do 90% of the time it's for shade. Where I camp, if it's raining the wind is typically blowing and that can be a bad situation for a manual OR electric awning.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
I live in Northern PA. When I bought my trailer I ordered a manual awning. Reace called me on a Sunday night and needed to know the next day what I wanted because he could not figure out how to install a manual awning even though I said I wanted it 9 months previously. I chose the motorized awning and at this point I want other folks to know that the motorized awing is JUNK. Where I live it rains and the motorized awning is not good in the rain, it’s junk! It may be convenient if you want shade. But not if it rains. I now use a prop under the center of the awning to help shed rain, but none of this would be necessary with a manual awning.
I would suggest any new buyers NOT to choose the motorized awning.
You had a choose between a manual and an automatic? When I got my 19 in 2017 the manuals where not an option only the automatic. I hated the automatic and had Escape change it out two years later for the manual. I guess I’m confused why you had a choose for a manual and I didn’t and why are you still so upset from something that happened 4 plus years ago. Camp on and enjoy your Escape
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Awning

Quote:
He told us the same thing. We wanted manual but we're told no.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkavanagh View Post
He told us the same thing. We wanted manual but we're told no.
"No" to a manual awning, not that he couldn't figure it out.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The manual awning on my 2013 Escapes have worked flawlessly since I have owned them and we use them frequently for both shade and protection from the rain. Once you have deployed them a couple of times they are simple and foolproof to use, even by one person. I often deploy mine about halfway extended so that it they are less impacted by sudden wind gusts but still provide protection from sun and rain. When it rains, it is a simple matter to lower one side of the awning more than the other to direct the runoff where you want it to go. When properly sloped, water does not accumulate on the awning. When stowed for travel, I have never had even a hint of any issues with the awning unfurling while travelling, but do fasten the arms to the stop brackets with a strap when it is not deployed. If I was to ever move on to a new Escape, it would be a no-brainer for me to choose the manual awning.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
The manual awning on my 2013 Escapes have worked flawlessly since I have owned them and we use them frequently for both shade and protection from the rain. Once you have deployed them a couple of times they are simple and foolproof to use, even by one person. I often deploy mine about halfway extended so that it they are less impacted by sudden wind gusts but still provide protection from sun and rain. When it rains, it is a simple matter to lower one side of the awning more than the other to direct the runoff where you want it to go. When properly sloped, water does not accumulate on the awning. When stowed for travel, I have never had even a hint of any issues with the awning unfurling while travelling, but do fasten the arms to the stop brackets with a strap when it is not deployed. If I was to ever move on to a new Escape, it would be a no-brainer for me to choose the manual awning.
After 4 years of the electric awning, we have not had any issues with it. It’s quick to deploy and quick to retract. The auto retract functions works. If it’s raining hard I retract it from inside, and the same if it’s windy. I’d not choose a manual awning. I have seen some never electric designs that have more bracing. But each to his or her own. I do think in 2017 they only offered the electric option so the report was correctly reported. However, our experience with the awning is fine as I just enumerated. Saying it’s junk ? Everyone has an opinion. As I age, I’d rather not deal with a manual awning, I do , however maintain my trailer pretty thoroughly. Obviously they did find a way for manual awning installation after those first years of the new molds.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #18

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There is a massive difference between "what they are designed for and what manufacturers state."

Most manual awnings we've had were designed for rain. I say most because a couple of our first awnings were just two poles holding up a shade tarp.

We want an awning that is built robust enough for heavy rain. Today's manuals will have a support structure to handle considerably more weight than needed just for shade (ETI supplied electric doesn't), because people do use them in heavy rain. They also have an easily changed angle adjustment so the rain rolls down and off so it doesn't stay trapped on top (ETI supplied electric doesn't). This adjustment can also lower one side to direct the rain to where it can move away from your camper; the side changes from one to the other depending on your site (ETI supplied manual doesn't).

On multiple rainy days we live outside underneath the awning, cooking on our camp stove, and burning charcoal, wood, or pellets in our BioLite Firepit. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking a pole in the middle won't get in our way; we've looked and a center pole is exactly in our way. I wonder if the manufacturer approves of this pole, even off the record.

Today, "what manufacturers state" depends on whatever they want to say to protect themselves from warranty claims. Times have changed in this realm.

Over our past 15 campers we've had some really poor manual awnings, but design and materials have massively improved over the years. For us the manual is a no-brainer. I'm talking about a fully extended awning. Only rarely do we partially extend our awning. It usually only goes out if we want to be under the awning in full rain, but very rarely for shade.

If you don't live outside underneath an awning and want one for minimal rain, partially extended for a covered entry, or shade, an electric is a good choice. However many of us do live under the awning and heavy rain, so the electric just doesn't work well. How you camp should decide your awning choices, since we're all different.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #19

Awning

The one reason that I’m bringing up the issue of motorized awnings 4 years after I got one is to warn people filling out their build sheet that motorized awnings are junk. And the assertion that awnings are only for shade is garbage. Maybe motorized ones can only handle sun but most people want something that can work with sun and rain. The Carefree Manual awning offered by Escape is the best choice IN MY OPINION.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post

I was going to post, Dave, but you've covered all the points I was going to make (and probably in a clearer fashion), So:.

I very frequently do the half-way deployment for 2 reasons. (1)shade for the portion of the trailer exterior just outside the frig compartment (On the E17, the frig. is on the passenger side!), and (2) 'porch' cover for when it rains, to keep a bit more of the rain out of the inside at the doorway.
I replaced the bolts at the intersection of the arms and the awning barrel with eye bolts (cut to length) and stop nuts. These give me attachment points for straps, to resist wind.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote