Back-up Camera , is it worth it? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Back-up Camera , is it worth it?

Just wondering about the wireless back up Camera. Who has it? Do you like it? Would you get it again? Just want the pros and cons. Thanks
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
If traveling alone it might come in handy but if traveling with others a buddy system seems just fine. Save your money.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Just wondering about the wireless back up Camera. Who has it? Do you like it? Would you get it again? Just want the pros and cons. Thanks
I installed one but it is on a switch rather than being turned on when the tow vehicle goes into reverse. It can be used as a rear view camera as well as for backing up. I like it when going through traffic in cities when traffic is heavy. And yes, I like it and would do it again. I had Reace run a wire through the trailer but installed the camera myself.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Love the backup camera; although it was installed before ETI standardized on the same unit. I use the clip-over-the-mirror monitor. The field of view lets me see traffic coming up behind me almost all the way to the rear bumper, well within the tow mirror visibility zones, so it's invaluable for changing lanes with the zoomies coming up from behind. I had it wired into the marker lights instead of the reverse wiring; the mirror monitor has an on/off button to control it. I don't really use it much for backing into a campsite - primarily for backing into the storage building where I put up a big bullseye mark to aim for. Ran the monitor wiring from the receiver through the truck to the drivers side visor so it's just a plug-in when used, no dangly wires all over the cab. Oddly, the cable needed is an extension cable for a PS2 computer mouse (carries both power and video to the monitor) so it's simple.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I've tinkered with the idea of using my GoPro camera as a back up camera. Easy to mount temporarily on the trailer back bumper, nor wires as it connects to my phone or tablet via bluetooth. Have heard of others doing it successfully but have not actually tried it myself.
There is a bit of a delay between the camera and the tablet so I guess the advice would be to back up s.l.o.w.l.y....
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
I've tinkered with the idea of using my GoPro camera as a back up camera. Easy to mount temporarily on the trailer back bumper, nor wires as it connects to my phone or tablet via bluetooth. Have heard of others doing it successfully but have not actually tried it myself.
There is a bit of a delay between the camera and the tablet so I guess the advice would be to back up s.l.o.w.l.y....
The TADI camera also has LED illumination to use at night that work quite well.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I love it as a rear view camera when traveling. Nice to be able to see what is coming behind me.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I love it as a rear view camera when traveling. Nice to be able to see what is coming behind me.

Can you put an "identifier" in it so it will warn you if a 'Smokie' is tailing you?

Tom
Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Is there such a thing as a little back up camera that is wireless?
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
After towing hundreds of thousands of kilometres, I have never once felt the need for a backup camera.

That said, I have used the ones on a vehicle for hooking up to the trailer.

If they are used as a novelty thing, then I see no harm in them, but if people rely on them to see behind them, especially when driving, I do have a concern. If there is someone coming up behind me when driving, I am always fully aware of them, as I constantly monitor my mirrors out of the corner of my eye, and get a much broader view than a camera would ever provide. I have never had a vehicle behind me that I could not see in my mirrors, even if they were tailgating.

So, no harm in having one at all, I know a couple people that have them, both are gadget nuts. Just don't rely on them for driving decisions is all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I have a backup camera and love it. It allows me to see cars up close to my rear when I cannot see them in the side mirrors - which is often when in traffic. Wireless and yes, I have ETI install the wiring while in production. Got mine from TADI Brothers and there are multiple models from which to choose. I'd do it again.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I concur with Jim. Drivers need to keep their eyes on the road ahead, with a glance in the mirror from time to time.
And, if you do use a backup camera to monitor what is going on behind you while driving, NEVER tell your insurance company that you were doing that.
I glanced in my rear view mirror to see if my brother was following me into a parking lot. Another driver was leaving the lot, driving against the painted arrows. I didn't get on the brake in time and we had a minor collision.
It was my fault for taking my eyes off the road, according to the insurance company.
And those arrows in a private parking lot? They have no legal consequence.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Is there such a thing as a little back up camera that is wireless?
I bought an iBall wireless camera ($150.00+-) because my 2007 Tundra doesn't have a camera. I also have bluetooth with the Tundra, and that interferes with the transmission to the point that I can't get good picture. Haven't found a way to deactivate the bluetooth. It works swell when the ignition is off!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
It allows me to see cars up close to my rear when I cannot see them in the side mirrors - which is often when in traffic.
Just curious as to how this is? Your trailering mirrors should extend well past your tow vehicle, and with that angle to the rear, should show who is behind you, short of a motorcycle in close.

The only Escape I have towed is the 19, and with it being a bit narrower, when using towing mirrors could very clearly see everything behind. I do admit to cheating on a couple short trips and not putting them on , and could see behind me, but not near as well.

My construction trailer has tall walls, is 8' wide, and I can see well what is behind me.

When I have driven tractor/trailer combos in the past, I could not see as well close in, directly behind me, but we are taking 40' long, 8' wide trailers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #15

I don't have towing mirrors on my Tundra.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I don't have towing mirrors on my Tundra.
In that case, you might get pulled over and ticketed.
There are requirements that you be able to see for a distance in adjacent lanes ( not directly behind you ).

The following is from B.C. Motor Vehicle Act:

Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m ( 36' ) behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m ( 200' ) from the rear of the combination of vehicles.

Note that it says adjacent lanes, not the lane you are in ( directly behind the trailer ).

You will find similar laws throughout North America.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #17

Do the Tudra mirrors extend?

Most stock mirrors (the non-towing) kind, are not legal in most places. I know I have mentioned it here before, but I got a good reprimand in BC for not having towing mirrors on my Pilot. The cop was not wrong.

Trailering mirrors are one thing I insisted on when buying my new truck to tow the 5.0. It is so nice to have them extend at the push of a button. Heck, they are even quite a ways out there when fully retracted.

For add on mirrors, I really like the ones that Alf added to his truck, that can extend outward for towing.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #18

Thanks for the warning! I didn't realize the legal issue of not having towing mirrors. Guess I am going to have to figure out what kind of towing add-on mirrors will work with the Tundra. I I had contacted Toyota a long time ago to see what it would cost to install them and the price was prohibitive for me. Again, thanks for the heads-up.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #19

Many of us have the Milenco Grand Aero and are happy.
They attach to the mirror housing so you can adjust them and the Tundra mirrors independently.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Aero 1.jpg   Grand Aero 2.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Macman, if third party mirrors are OK, have a look at A1 auto. They tend to have a larger selection of what is available. Never used them, not a recommendation. Just a research point.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote