Back up light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Back up light

Hi

Our Escape does not seem to have back up light. Dont even no il it is available since it is park away from our house.

Was thinking to add an auxiliary light with the back up circuit on the 7 pin trailler plug.

Does the Escape 7 pin (center pin) et hook to the trailler?

Or do I have to start a new circuit?

Thanks for helping
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #2

Well, if I dont have back up light, I'll just ad auxiliary light. On my previous trailler they were working with my truck that hat 7 pin from the factory.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Or for the rare occasion when you find yourself needing to back up in the dark, just stick one (or two) of these inexpensive magnetic mount LED lights (or any similar product) on your rear bumper. Then stow it (them) away for the next time.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Promier-2...iABEgJ-qvD_BwE
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape can provide a 4 pin connector to the rear hitch. Not sure if the reverse light would work off that but I added an auxiliary brake light to the rear hitch using that connection.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Escape can provide a 4 pin connector to the rear hitch. Not sure if the reverse light would work off that but I added an auxiliary brake light to the rear hitch using that connection.
4 pin trailer connectors are strictly brake, left parking/turn, right parking/turn, and ground. no reverse, no trailer brakes, no trailer battery power.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Escape may have made changes (or left it out of both my trailers) but I have no back up lights on either my 2011 17 or 2017 21. No lights, no wiring, and the 7 pin connector junction box under the front of the trailer does not have any wire connected to the center pin connection. (pin 7 & yellow wire in the trailer cord)
Old 10-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
eat my own words. its the CASITA that had integrated backup lights :-/
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Lets talk about wiring up back up lights. Here is what I want … In truck cab switch and under trailer rear bumper very bright LED lights. Mostly, because I so often am arriving at a camp sport at night, I'd like to be able to switch them on and off while trying to park …. thinking of being considerate of other camper nearby. Also, and this is very illegal, I'd like to flash my back up lights at rude drivers who follow too close with their lights on Retina Melt.

Anyway, I'm open for ideas on how to do this. Would like to have the power and switch go through my 7 pin so when de-coupling there is not an additional step to forget when driving off. Thank you ahead of time for your suggestions.

I met a tear dropper who had this problem resolved. I was touring a campground and found this guy with stainless steel polish and was really working over the metal covering his rear hatch on his tear drop trailer. He had that metal polished to a mirror shine …. mentioned that he never had anyone come up too close at night and no one EVER had their lights on bright behind him.

Tom
Old 10-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Instead of lights, you could toss generators out your tow window.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just mount a mirror on your spare, that should wake them up....
Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Pin 7 (the round center pin) is not used by the Escape trailer. You could run a wire from the rear bumper (and your back up light(s)) to the yellow wire in the trailer's 7 pin connector.

If your tow vehicle already has the back up lights connected to pin 7 in the tow vehicle receptacle, you might have a problem connecting your own switch to control the power to the pin since it is wired to the reverse lights in the tow vehicle. If it is an older vehicle without burned out lamp detection, etc you might be able to add a switch. If it is not connected at all it is a simple add.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape
In my experience, putting a couple of red headlamp lights on the ground on either side of the back of your parking pad as guides is more effective than trying to illuminate the campsite with a backup light.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
If you are doing your build sheet, you can add one or two LED lights on the back of the trailer. We have two on the back of ours and use them both for backing in after dark and to illuminate behind the trailer at times when we want it while camping. We also have them switched from inside the trailer by the door so we can light up the outside if we hear a strange noise at night. So far that has not happened, but it has been worth it to have the extra lights on the back for the first two uses I mentioned. Glad someone suggested it to us.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Pin 7 (the round center pin) is not used by the Escape trailer. You could run a wire from the rear bumper (and your back up light(s)) to the yellow wire in the trailer's 7 pin connector.

If your tow vehicle already has the back up lights connected to pin 7 in the tow vehicle receptacle, you might have a problem connecting your own switch to control the power to the pin since it is wired to the reverse lights in the tow vehicle. If it is an older vehicle without burned out lamp detection, etc you might be able to add a switch. If it is not connected at all it is a simple add.
Thanks for the confirmation that the center in in the 7 pin plug is unused.

My final option is gonna wire from inside the trailler and install a led flood light for backing up in the dark and if I need illumination on the camping ground.

Thank for every one input on this one