Batteries drained - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My trailer has a single 27F deep cycle battery. I have left my trailer unplugged for up to 3 or 4 weeks with the propane detector connected and have never fully drained my 12v battery.
Battery operated smoke and C/O detectors can run for years on one small 9V battery. I doubt one propane detector drained two golf cart batteries in ten days. One of your 6 volt batteries may have a bad cell. I had a new battery loose a cell after only 18 months.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My trailer has a single 27F deep cycle battery. I have left my trailer unplugged for up to 3 or 4 weeks with the propane detector connected and have never fully drained my 12v battery.
Battery operated smoke and C/O detectors can run for years on one small 9V battery. I doubt one propane detector drained two golf cart batteries in ten days. One of your 6 volt batteries may have a bad cell. I had a new battery loose a cell after only 18 months.
Steve is correct, a bad cell will draw a battery (or two if hooked together) in a hurry. Charge them up and get out your trusty battery hydrometer. The cells should be within 50 points of each other. Another simple test if you don't have a hydrometer would be to disconnect the batteries, If they go dead disconnected you have a battery problem.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
They did tell me at my orientation in March to shut off the battery switch since the propane detector would drain my 6v batteries in a 10 days or so if left on. Haven't tested that theory yet....and they may telling people this just to be cautious. I have solar on mine so I don't think it would be a problem. But if the trailer was covered in some fashion and not plugged in it could be a problem.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
A lesson I learned a long time ago is to not overfill the battery water level. If you have clear access to the battery, I like a regular battery filler "jug" you can tip it horizontal without it leaking, insert the nozzle in the cell top after removing the cap and push down. Water will quit flowing when proper level is reached. When done, it's good to wipe the battery off so no corrosion occurs on terminals and hold down due to acid/water. Tip number two. Do not ever sit on a battery , the ambient greasy top juice will destroy the rear end of your pants. And your mom will get real mad.
Dave
We've had our 21 for almost two months now and I've finally gotten around to opening the battery compartment and checking the batteries. (The GoPower always shows 100% charged so I figured all was well...) With the cell covers off I shined a flashlight inside and the water level is over the plates but a half-inch or so below the bottom of the cylinder of the fill holes. (The cylinder is about an inch long and has a 3/4 inch vertical slot on one side). How full should each cell be before it would be overfilled?
Posttoasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I was always taught to fill them to the cylinders as you put it, the 3/4 inch slot is to allow gas to escape. It is better to under-fill than to overfill. The water will expand with heat and as hydrogen gas is created on the plates it will cause the acid level to rise. I would probably fill it half way from where your battery is right now with distilled water and check the level while charging. If you overfill the battery the excess sulfuric acid will bubble out the vents and that is when you don't want to sit on the battery.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's a ring inside each cylinder. You fill to that. With a flashlight (NOT an open flame), you'll actually see the water concave around the fill ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Ring.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologals View Post
They appear to be completely discharged. I've done some research on recharging and am not hopeful at this point. Completely a rookie mistake on our part. Anyone have any experience with AGM vs the flooded batteries with an ESCAPE 21?
I would not get rid of these batteries until you have an actual reading. I would not assume that they are completely discharged and/or cannot be recharged just by that monitor. And every battery type has its problems.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posttoasties View Post
We've had our 21 for almost two months now and I've finally gotten around to opening the battery compartment and checking the batteries. (The GoPower always shows 100% charged so I figured all was well...) With the cell covers off I shined a flashlight inside and the water level is over the plates but a half-inch or so below the bottom of the cylinder of the fill holes. (The cylinder is about an inch long and has a 3/4 inch vertical slot on one side). How full should each cell be before it would be overfilled?
You fill to near the bottom of those tubes, but not into them. as long as the plates are covered you are fine. Always use distilled water to top up.

Or, do as I just did, which was to put AGM batteries in my 5.0TA. No maintenance.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks for all the responses. Now I have to go back and check again to see if I can see the "fill ring".
Not ready to switch out a perfectly good set of batteries just yet, but for knowledge's sake - What's the trade-off between flooded and AGM batteries. There must be some "cost" for no maintenance? TANSTAAFL!
Posttoasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #30

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
Quote:
Help!! I checked our battery level 10 days ago and had 4 lights after sitting for a week. Went on vacay for 10 days and now register dead. Only had my trailer for 7 months. Are they dead dead amd in need of replacement? How do I determine that? What are my next steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi yologals

I accidentally discharged my batteries to zero volts last year when I put antifreeze in the plumbing. How did that happen? I inadvertently switched the heating bands to the on position. Escape 19 owners with tank heating bands will know what I'm talking about. I have two 6 volt interstates in series and the voltmeter was giving me millivolts for each, thats how badly they were discharged. My batteries were also about 7 months old, in other words, like new.

Modern battery chargers will not function on a battery that's has been completely discharged. I had to "jump" charge the battery using my truck battery and checked the voltage from time to time until it dead ones were reading 11 volts. At that point I could use my modern battery charger to complete the charging process which took another day to bring up to 14 volts.

Since that time I have used the trailer, with my rejuvenated batteries, for a 3 month trip across the southern USA over the winter and they have worked fine.

This video explains how to jump charge a dead battery:
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Did our first battery check (standard single 12V) since delivery back in February (4 months ago). In all six cells, the fluid was down only about 1/8" to 1/4". I can live with that. Even under our carport, the roof-mount solar panel is keeping it charged up nicely (with the storage switch turned "OFF").
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #32

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
UPDATE!! I filled the cells, none were completely dry as best I could tell, but one or two were pretty low. My trailer is at my house with no 30 amp service, so I purchased a converter and plugged it in today and piddled around in and out of the trailer making sure all was well. After about 8 hours my batteries are showing "full" per the display on the wall. I disconnected the power and hit the kill switch. I plan to test the cells tomorrow after I find a hydrometer. More to come.
yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When the trailer is plugged in, it will show 'charging' ( four lights on mine ). Disconnect the trailer from shore power, and a couple hours or more later, check the level of charge, after the 'surface charge' has dissipated. That will give a true reading.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
UPDATE!! I filled the cells, none were completely dry as best I could tell, but one or two were pretty low. My trailer is at my house with no 30 amp service, so I purchased a converter and plugged it in today and piddled around in and out of the trailer making sure all was well. After about 8 hours my batteries are showing "full" per the display on the wall. I disconnected the power and hit the kill switch. I plan to test the cells tomorrow after I find a hydrometer. More to come.
Good! That is the advantage of these batteries: they can be depleted and still be charged again. Hope you can get a reading shortly.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote