Benefits of the 5.0 compared to the bumper pull? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 21' Escape
I think there are pros and cons to both. It is kinda hard to pull a 5th wheel with an SUV or car. I have a friend with a 5th wheel and his hitch takes up a lot of space in the bed of the truck. The 21 is a dream trailer to me. I didn't want to buy a real pickup to pull a trailer but I may change my mind someday
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yes I like the idea of a small trailer easy to fit in any where but the 5.0 looks so big inside with that nice bed. Might like it later when I retire and can travel more. I have a 250 truck set up to tow a gooseneck trailer but are the RV set ups different ? My truck just has a ball in the center of the bed the one in the picture looks much larger?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I have a 250 truck set up to tow a gooseneck trailer but are the RV set ups different ? My truck just has a ball in the center of the bed the one in the picture looks much larger?
The ball-in-the-bed arrangement is popular in agricultural and appears in light commercial use, but is rarely used in RVs... although adapters are routinely available to convert common RV fifth-wheels to this setup.

The Escape 5.0 (classic and new TA) follows the common RV practice, using a pin-and-plate coupling (just like the big rigs, but with small plates) with the mating surface about four feet off the ground, high in the pickup box (a foot higher than a typical bed-mounted ball). Since this fifth-wheel hitch system is the same size as used in much larger trailers (2" diameter pin), the hitch seems oversize for the trailer. The lightest common fifth-wheel hitches have three times the capacity needed for the Escape 5.0; fortunately, following this standard makes hitches readily available.

You may have notice a recent discussion (5th wheel hitch) in which the Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection" was discussed. This isn't a fifth-wheel at all, but a 2-5/16" ball used just like the ones mounted to the truck bed floor, but sitting up at the height of a typical real fifth-wheel. This is not a common setup, although Scamp uses a similar configuration (but with a 2" ball) on their 19' trailer. I have not heard of anyone converting an Escape to this system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #24

I'm thinking that my truck with that type of hitch would no longer pull my horse trailer unless it was removable
Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #25

The Anderson hitch is pretty cool and easy to remove
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
After much thought, we decided on the 5.0 a couple of years ago.

Pros:

Easy to hitch up.
Power legs up front are easier for us old folks.
More compact on the road and in the parks -- It's really more like towing a 14 footer.
Tows REALLY nice.
Separate sleeping area.
Lots of people stopping to admire it. :-)

Cons:

Will always need a pickup for a tow vehicle
Not much room left in our Nissan Frontier 6 foot bed for storage.
Lots of people stopping to admire it. ;-)

Sharon
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I'm thinking that my truck with that type of hitch would no longer pull my horse trailer unless it was removable
Yes, but these fifth-wheel hitches are generally removable. The most common style (including the one sold by Escape) mounts to low rails that run across the truck bed, others use four mounting pads (which they call "pucks"), and some just sit on the bed floor and are anchored to that existing ball socket in the bed floor (B&W is perhaps the best known brand of these).

You can also get a near-floor-level ball (for the horse trailer) which mounts to the rails or pads normally used by fifth-wheels.

Finally, the Andersen system could be used for the horse trailer, if that trailer's coupler can be adjusted high enough (gooseneck trailers with ball couplers normally have a wide vertical adjustment range to accommodate variations in trucks), if the horse trailer uses a 2-5/16" diameter ball (some use a 3" ball).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... We have a very low rejection rate for camp sites. If the site looks ideal for mountain bikers to ride through...I'm not interested. If it's on a side to side slope with lots of tree roots and the current bush is on the wrong side...there's usually a better one for us.
The new 5.0TA is only a few inches bigger in all directions, than the 5.0 and leveling the TA. could be a bit more work, but I don't for see being put in with behemoths usually associated with 5th. wheels. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030454.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote