Best choice on fridge ?? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
That simply isn't valid as a 'blanket statement'; just like many tow vehicle characteristics relating to it's capability for towing any given RV, the adequacy of a TVs systems for supporting a reefer in 12VDC mode varies according to the TVs OE equipment.
My point is that folks should recognize some (many) TVs as OE are in fact perfectly capable of comfortably supporting RV reefers in 12VDC mode when underway. It's an easy matter to confirm that for any particular TV.
I took the time to measure the voltage drop from the alternator to the RMD8555 on 12V with the battery switch flipped to off so all the power was coming from the Tacoma. At 2000 RPM the voltage at the truck battery was 13.8, as expected. But at the same time, the voltage at the Escape distribution box was around 12.3. That's a drop of 1.5 Volts. Conclusion: Should I choose to drive all day with the Escape batteries connected, some solar as usual, and fridge on 12V, I would likely end up with partially depleted batteries in the trailer. The alternator can handle the load but the wires can not. There are solutions but they all cost money and I am saving every penny for fishing worms when the time comes.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Your choices with regard to fire / explosion risk-management are of course your prerogative, just as others may elect to exercise different choices in that regard.
Actually, I agree, and would say almost exactly the same thing except that I would insert “the extremely low probability” before fire / explosion. When one considers the number of self propelled RVs and travel trailers on the road and the percentage that run refrigerators on propane when traveling, the likelihood is probably closer to miniscule than it is to extremely low. Other than doing an experiment with the 12v setting and one other time when I ran out of propane, I have always travelled on propane with 4 different trailers spanning 35 years. But each individual has got to do what he/she I had got to do.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #43

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Actually, I agree, and would say almost exactly the same thing except that I would insert “the extremely low probability” before fire / explosion. When one considers the number of self propelled RVs and travel trailers on the road and the percentage that run refrigerators on propane when traveling, the likelihood is probably closer to miniscule than it is to extremely low. Other than doing an experiment with the 12v setting and one other time when I ran out of propane, I have always travelled on propane with 4 different trailers spanning 35 years. But each individual has got to do what he/she I had got to do.
My general approach to info-sharing on forums is to try to help folks gather accurate facts and understand options, trying to avoid opinion or anecdotal experience unless specifically asked. Obviously, I've provided some unsolicited anecdotal experience in this thread to illustrate some options.

Folks will apply their own judgment, decide and do what they want to do, my only goal is to help them make fully-informed fact-based decisions. I may or may not succeed in that effort, so it goes, fault me if you will, no worries!

Risk-management is a highly personal matter, one can only hope that the decision-maker considers the implications on other potentially affected parties. I'll never argue with folks sharing anecdotal tales of 'the accident that never happened', IMO that argument would be a fool's pursuit.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
My general approach to info-sharing on forums is to try to help folks gather accurate facts and understand options, trying to avoid opinion or anecdotal experience unless specifically asked.

Folks will apply their own judgment, decide and do what they want to do, my only goal is to help them make fully-informed fact-based decisions.
I have absolutely no problem with that approach as long as it is, in fact, factual. Often people make irrational decisions based upon paranoia rather than reality, all the while considering any opposing viewpoint as uninformed opinion or anecdote. I for one would not relegate the collective experience of a multitude of seasoned RVers to the category of anecdotal. As I stated in my last post (incorrectly worded by an unnoticed auto correct), each person has got to do whatever it is they have got to do, or in other words, do that which they judge to be in the best interest of themselves. And I hardly believe that anyone running a refrigerator on propane while towing is a huge threat to others sharing the same road. And if I have given you the impression that I find the 12v mode “essentially useless,” it is because time after time that is exactly what it has proven to be for me. If that offends you, then please accept my apology.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Could not have said it any better Carl. I believe that the empirical knowledge of experienced Escape owners shared on this forum is priceless.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #46

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
does the smaller model have a light?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
When I ordered my Escape 19 I had them delete the fridge,, size the cabinet to accommodate a 7.1 Cuft fridge/freezer from Novakool. I also had them delete the outside wall cut out used for cooling, but had them leave the roof vent.
The Novakool uses the Danfoss compressor and uses just over 4 amps per hour while running, but it typically only runs for 15 -20 minutes in the hour.
I also installed 4 x 100 A Lithium batteries. With my solar panel, I have not even come close to running down my batteries. It was an expensive way to go, but the fridge is a dream and in my opinion well worth the expense.
I installed the fridge myself and it was simply connecting 2 wires and screwing the flange to the cabinet. Took about 1/2 hour in total.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
When I ordered my Escape 19 I had them delete the fridge,, size the cabinet to accommodate a 7.1 Cuft fridge/freezer from Novakool. I also had them delete the outside wall cut out used for cooling, but had them leave the roof vent.
The Novakool uses the Danfoss compressor and uses just over 4 amps per hour while running, but it typically only runs for 15 -20 minutes in the hour.
I also installed 4 x 100 A Lithium batteries. With my solar panel, I have not even come close to running down my batteries. It was an expensive way to go, but the fridge is a dream and in my opinion well worth the expense.
I installed the fridge myself and it was simply connecting 2 wires and screwing the flange to the cabinet. Took about 1/2 hour in total.
I have two chest fridges with the Danfoss compressor in each and really like how they hold the temperature that you set.
Do you think that you could run your fridge successfully on two lithium batteries?
How loud is the compressor on the fridge? I find that our chest fridge is to loud to be in the same room to sleep...but they are two different exterior designs.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had 2x12v refrigerator units in my T@da. They were small thus the need for 2. While operating there was a hum and one could sense the vibration in the trailer, particularly at night when trying to sleep. The absorption refer is silent.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #50

I have found the fridge to be quite quiet, though not much wakes me up at night. While you can hear it, neither my wife or myself found it intrusive.
As for running it on 2 lithium batteries, I am sure it would do just fine. However if you are boondocking for lengthy periods and the sun isn't shining too bright for your solar panels, you might run into some issues. We have not incurred anything remotely close to low batteries, but we are running 4 x 100A.
If you do install lithium batteries using a proper battery monitor we found to be very helpful, as it gives you true readings of your battery life.
Fridge works super well when the ambient temperature is high, as we found out in Death Valley. Also you don't have the question of whether you should run propane while driving or not.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #51
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I wonder if i run a direct wire on my Tacoma pickup to the 7 pin if that would support it. I know with tow package it has heavy Duty alternator . I will have to check into that. is that case smaller fridge would draw 1/2 the amps
I have the 5 cu. ft. fridge and tow with a Tacoma with the factory towing package. I generally use the 12 volt fridge setting while driving and have not changed the wiring. I have a remote fridge monitor so I can check if it is staying at or below 40 F. while travelling. Everything works as designed and I do not have battery drain or charging issues. Precooling the fridge is vital as the 12 volt operation does not cool as well as 120 volt or propane. When I stop driving for a quick lunch, I change to propane as the 12 volt will drain the trailer batteries very quickly. I have driven in 90 F weather for several hours and did not experience an internal temperature increase. My 12 Volt setting does Ok maintaining a cold fridge but it is slow to lower the temperature and I am not so sure it could handle Death Valley type temperatures.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018 17A
Large fridge, especially if you plan on boondocking.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
We have the larger fridge and are glad we did! Haven't used all of the freezer space yet but will at some point. We did use DC while towing it but I do have a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and it has a hefty alternator. If we did it again we'd stick with the larger fridge.
Meandering Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #54

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I did end up going large fridge. mostly for the extra freezer space
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:10 AM   #55

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
installed the fridge myself and it was simply connecting 2 wires and screwing the flange to the cabinet. Took about 1/2 hour in total.
Although your choice of refrigerators is good, I suspect that going with your frig of choice took you more than "1/2 hour in total".
Old 04-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Although your choice of refrigerators is good, I suspect that going with your frig of choice took you more than "1/2 hour in total".
I guess if you consider my time in picking the fridge up and bringing it home, it would be more than 1/2 hour. I was thinking of the installation time. It really didn't take long. Escape made the cabinet opening to the specs set out by Novakool. Escape had the 12V wires terminate at the fridge opening. All I had to to is connect two wires, slide it into place and screw about 8 screws through the flange of the fridge into the cabinet. I did use the help of my son to slide it into place though.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #57

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Given the amount of money that an Oliver travel trailer costs, I've always been amazed as to why they don't offer a bigger fridge as an option.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #58
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
Given the amount of money that an Oliver travel trailer costs, I've always been amazed as to why they don't offer a bigger fridge as an option.
I've always wondered that myself, such a small fridge....that and no gas oven. They have a convection oven but not as good as a gas oven when dry camping, which I use a lot. But great rig otherwise. We love our big fridge in the 21. Using it now to store food in fridge and freezer during this pandemic - feeding a lot of mouths now. So nice to have that back up. Had to take the cover off, of course, but so worth it. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
I am thinking of going with lithium batteries eventually, wandering did you install yours in the original batteries location.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #60

Yes I did, I have the storage box in the front of the trailer and put all 4 in that space. It does take up quite a bit of room, but I preferred to have them in the box. Weight wise it works out to about the same as 2x6V batteries. I got mine from Battle Born Batteries in Nevada. They have the golf cart sized batteries which I preferred.
However with Lithium batteries you can put them anywhere. They do not vent so they can be placed inside the trailer. They can go in sideways, upside down etc. Strongly suggest you get the battery monitor. I got mine from Victron