Best choice on fridge ?? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #81

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
A complete novice to camping trailers, I am reading this thread to learn about the refrigerator options. Until this thread I had not heard about absorption or Danfoss refrigeration systems and initially had trouble following the discussion.

I found the following article explaining the differences in functionality and pros and cons of the absorption and Danfoss refrigeration systems very illuminating. It definitely helped me understand where Sean Murry is coming from. The article merely provides information for one to process. I post the link below in case some other reader finds it useful.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...nd-a-few-tips/
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #82

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Good article. Thanks for posting.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #83

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Thanks from me too. I am in about the same learning boat as you, but am not nearly as advanced in the decision-making. I'll be following your posts and replies with great interest.

So far, I've agreed with everything you have noted based on the excellent contributions from the expert contributors on this forum, including the base decision to go for the 5.0TA.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #84

Trailer: NA
Great link to a very good article kavm. Mello Mike only blew it on batteries by not mentioning the difference between lifepo4 (lithium) batteries and AGM (lead acid) batteries. The lifepo4 batteries provide near full Ah rating where you don't want to use over 50% of a AGM battery. The lifepo4 also weighs about half what an equivalent AGM battery does. You could replace two 6 volt 225 Ah battery (as installed by ETI) with two 100 Ah lifepo4 battery and get at least 50% more usable power. The lifepo4 usable lifetime is more than twice that of an AGM battery. The two 6 volt batteries from ETI weight about 124 lbs where as two 100 Ah lifepo4 batteries weight about 62 lbs. There is also no maintenance to be done on lifepo4 batteries and no out gassing to be concerned with. The only issue with lifepo4 batteries is the cost being 3 to 6 times that of an AGM battery. I am not a lifepo4 battery salesman but I know when a technology is ready for prime time and I think both the Danfoss compressor refrigerator and lifepo4 batteries are mature technologies we should all take advantage of. It's time for ETI to step up and start offering these as options on all their campers to compliment their solar system.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #85

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
I agree with TX_Clint on this too.

DC compressor + solar means "free" refrigeration. Lithium means no maintenance, better duty cycle, and low weight for maybe a 1% price impact on the overall trailer? Lithium battery performance in cold conditions may be a factor for some, or some means to keep the batteries warm might be needed.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #86

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you all!

After reading the article - I too came to the conclusion that ETI should start offering both the Danfoss compressor refrigerator and lithium batteries as options on all their campers.

We are planning to buy ours in 2021. I am sure that the prices will go up somewhat but hope the options include the above.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Clint View Post
Great link to a very good article kavm. Mello Mike only blew it on batteries by not mentioning the difference between lifepo4 (lithium) batteries and AGM (lead acid) batteries. The lifepo4 batteries provide near full Ah rating where you don't want to use over 50% of a AGM battery. The lifepo4 also weighs about half what an equivalent AGM battery does. You could replace two 6 volt 225 Ah battery (as installed by ETI) with two 100 Ah lifepo4 battery and get at least 50% more usable power. The lifepo4 usable lifetime is more than twice that of an AGM battery. The two 6 volt batteries from ETI weight about 124 lbs where as two 100 Ah lifepo4 batteries weight about 62 lbs. There is also no maintenance to be done on lifepo4 batteries and no out gassing to be concerned with. The only issue with lifepo4 batteries is the cost being 3 to 6 times that of an AGM battery. I am not a lifepo4 battery salesman but I know when a technology is ready for prime time and I think both the Danfoss compressor refrigerator and lifepo4 batteries are mature technologies we should all take advantage of. It's time for ETI to step up and start offering these as options on all their campers to compliment their solar system.
Lithium batteries also charge a lot faster than AGM, and they can take a partial charge without damage to the battery.
The Novakool compressor fridge and Lithium batteries I had installed have worked exceedingly well for me. Better than expected. I wasn't expecting the solar to do as good a job as it has been, even in less than ideal conditions
Old 07-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
FWIW in my discussions earlier this year with ETI, they politely declined to install a Nova Kool (12VDC/120VAC 'Danfoss' compressor) unit in the same-size cutout, but readily agreed to delete the Dometic and associated propane provisions, leaving the cutout and 12VDC/120VAC wiring ($480 deduct).
$480 deduct? Just a quick check on Google brought prices of $1000 - $1400 for the Dometic 3 way refrigerator. I know they get a discount in bulk but I doubt it's that much.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #89

Trailer: NA
You must remember the labor involved in not putting it in.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
$480 deduct? Just a quick check on Google brought prices of $1000 - $1400 for the Dometic 3 way refrigerator. I know they get a discount in bulk but I doubt it's that much.
That was all I got as well. I am sure Escape makes a bit on the delete. But at least they give you the option. Most trailer manufacturers don't give you that choice. It is their fridge or the highway.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #91

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can get a very healthy deduction by not purchasing the trailer.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #92

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Haven't got a response from ETI yet to my question about the model number of the Norcold 7.0 CF fridge option on the 19', but I noticed an interesting remark on one of the inventory units that is currently being built.
It shows that due to COVID, no other unit was available!
Attached Thumbnails
Norcold 7 CF Covid replacement.JPG  
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #93

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The ‘19 we just bought has a 7 cu ft. fridge. Due to COVID manufacturing issues their regular supplier couldn’t provide the standard ones. I suspect we will lose a cabinet because of it. Oh well...the party’s at our place.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #94

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Voyager,
You may want to update your Avatar to reflect your new Escape........
Old 07-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #95

Got this info from Escape. It appears the 7 CF fridge takes no more room than the 6 CF fridge based on cutout sizes.
"The 6 cubic foot fridge is a Dometic DM2683LB and the 7 cubic foot fridge is a Norcold N7LX.3"
Old 07-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The ‘19 we just bought has a 7 cu ft. fridge. Due to COVID manufacturing issues their regular supplier couldn’t provide the standard ones. I suspect we will lose a cabinet because of it. Oh well...the party’s at our place.
Did you originally plan to upgrade to the 6 CF fridge, or is this Norcold also replacing the standard fridge?
Old 07-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #97

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Got this info from Escape. It appears the 7 CF fridge takes no more room than the 6 CF fridge based on cutout sizes.
"The 6 cubic foot fridge is a Dometic DM2683LB and the 7 cubic foot fridge is a Norcold N7LX.3"
OK, so in this case (Norcold N#LX.3 series) it's a 3-way (DC/AC/LP) absorption unit, not an AC/DC Danfoss Compressor type, which makes sense as a 'forced' replacement for a 3-way due to supply issues. Thanks for that info,

FYI links:
Owner's Manual
Installation Manual
Parts List
Old 07-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #98

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post

looks like the norcold comes in both 2 way and 3 way with same model number. Do you know witch there using? I know they used a 2 way norcold is some of the inventory unit. I still haven't seen a picture of one installed
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #99

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
looks like the norcold comes in both 2 way and 3 way with same model number. Do you know witch there using? I know they used a 2 way norcold is some of the inventory unit. I still haven't seen a picture of one installed
Please see the documentation I linked above - It's the "L" and the ".3" in "N#LX.3" that designates that as a 3-way DC/AC/LP model.

Quote from the first page of the Owner's Manual:
The model numbers of 3-way (only available on LX models) refrigerators include ".3". The model numbers of 2-way refrigerators do not.

All in the series are gas-absorption technology. The 2-way models are AC/LP cooling, the required 12VDC connection is for the control system only. This gleaned from the Installation Manual which spec's the 12VDC supply for 2-way models as minimum 18AWG/6A fuse regardless of wire length, vs minimum 10-8AWG with 30A-40A fuse depending on wire length for the 3-way models offering a DC resistance heating element for cooling in DC mode.

FYI the "N7...." models are spec'd as actually 6.5 cu ft in that documentation ("N8..." models as 7.6 cu ft).

So, other than branding details, the substantive differences between the 'normal option' Dometic DM2683LB and the 'covid' Norcold N7LX.3 are very slight indeed.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #100

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Please see the documentation I linked above - It's the "L" and the ".3" in "N#LX.3" that designates that as a 3-way DC/AC/LP model.

Quote from the first page of the Owner's Manual:
The model numbers of 3-way (only available on LX models) refrigerators include ".3". The model numbers of 2-way refrigerators do not.

All in the series are gas-absorption technology. The 2-way models are AC/LP cooling, the required 12VDC connection is for the control system only. This gleaned from the Installation Manual which spec's the 12VDC supply for 2-way models as minimum 18AWG/6A fuse regardless of wire length, vs minimum 10-8AWG with 30A-40A fuse depending on wire length for the 3-way models offering a DC resistance heating element for cooling in DC mode.

FYI the "N7...." models are spec'd as actually 6.5 cu ft in that documentation ("N8..." models as 7.6 cu ft).

So, other than branding details, the substantive differences between the 'normal option' Dometic DM2683LB and the 'covid' Norcold N7LX.3 are very slight indeed.

good info. the Dometic is 6.11 so only .39cufeet difference. I wish i would have went with the norcold . I like the fact the controls are outside where you can see them.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote