Best choice on fridge ?? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Thanks Sean, I don’t have the storage box on my 19, was thinking of just using the standard battery boxes but noticed it gets very hot inside those black boxes, I’ll figure something out. I do have the Victron battery monitor with Victron solar charge controller and I do like it a lot.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #62

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Thanks Sean, I don’t have the storage box on my 19, was thinking of just using the standard battery boxes but noticed it gets very hot inside those black boxes, I’ll figure something out. I do have the Victron battery monitor with Victron solar charge controller and I do like it a lot.
I would also consider security. Those lithium batteries are expensive. For mine I built a metal bracket that runs underneath and up the sides of the batteries, with a metal bar across the top that can be locked down. So for a thief to take my batteries he would need to break into the storage box, then get passed my steel brackets. For a determined thief they can get past anything but this would certainly slow him down.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #63

Trailer: 1980 Boler
This maybe late info, but we have a 2019 Escape with a full size fridge, so there is no room for a microway above it?
Rpcart87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #64

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpcart87 View Post
This maybe late info, but we have a 2019 Escape with a full size fridge, so there is no room for a microway above it?
Just going through my build sheet now. Saw a photo with the 6CF fridge on an inventory unit, definitely no room for a microwave above that.
I was planning to upgrade to the 6CF fridge, but now on the build sheet they also have a block to upgrade to a 7CF Norcold fridge. Anyone have any idea what that one looks like in a 19 or if that has a good reputation?
Here's the photo of the 6 CF fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
6 CF fridge photo from inventory model.JPG  
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Just going through my build sheet now. Saw a photo with the 6CF fridge on an inventory unit, definitely no room for a microwave above that.
I was planning to upgrade to the 6CF fridge, but now on the build sheet they also have a block to upgrade to a 7CF Norcold fridge. Anyone have any idea what that one looks like in a 19 or if that has a good reputation?
Interesting. Looks like it has the same dimensions as the 6 cu ft fridge. Wonder if it works any better at maintaining a set temperature without needing to change the temperature buttons between day & night.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Interesting. Looks like it has the same dimensions as the 6 cu ft fridge. Wonder if it works any better at maintaining a set temperature without needing to change the temperature buttons between day & night.
The photo I posted is just of the current optional 6 CF fridge, which appears to take up a good chunk of the wall. I have no idea of how much bigger the 7 CF fridge is, or reliability. Was hoping someone had one and some experience with one to see if it cools better in hot weather. The 6 CF is what we will probably order since it's larger than what we have now, but if the Norcold works better then that's another thought I need to process since we live in the hot South.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #67

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We have had no issues with our Dometic fridge and love it so far....but I will confess to feeling a little twinge when I heard that ETI had begun to offer a Norcold unit. Fond memories of the similar size Norcold in our previous trailer that lasted over 15 years and was still working fine when we sold it. Certainly there are plenty of reported issues with Dometic fridges, and who knows whether Norcold's reputation or quality has changed over the years, but it was rock solid reliable fridge.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #68

I looked up the cutout dimensions and they are very close between both refrigerators.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #69

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Where did you see this 7CF Norcold Fridge option? I signed off on my build sheet a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't listed on anything I received for my Escape 19, nor is it currently on the 'build your Escape' section of the website.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #70

Quote:
Quote:
I looked up the cutout dimensions and they are very close between both refrigerators.
It looks like the 7CF Norcold Fridge is AC/DC with NO propane option.

https://norcold.com/product/norcold-...-refrigerator/
Old 07-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
It looks like the 7CF Norcold Fridge is AC/DC with NO propane option.

It wasn't on the internet build sheet I created last week, but the build sheet they emailed me this past week shows the 6 CF at $340 USD, and the Upgrade to 7 cu ft Norcold at $452 USD.
I don't know what model they are offering, but will ask them. I do see that Norcold also has 3 way 7 CF fridges too, but don't know if this is the one?
Attached Thumbnails
NA7LX.JPG  
Old 07-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #72

Trailer: NA
Norcold NA7LX
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Clint View Post
If the NA7LX is the one they are offering, that would be fine with me. It's AC/LP. It does use DC for the controls I suppose, but not for cooling.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Where did you see this 7CF Norcold Fridge option? I signed off on my build sheet a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't listed on anything I received for my Escape 19, nor is it currently on the 'build your Escape' section of the website.
Build sheet dated 6/30/2020
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge options.JPG  
Old 07-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #75

Quote:
If the NA7LX is the one they are offering, that would be fine with me. It's AC/LP. It does use DC for the controls I suppose, but not for cooling.
My only thought is if Norcold is getting more interior volume in the same amount of exterior space are they sacrificing insulation to do it?
Old 07-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #76

I guess we would need to know the model number to know the power/fuel requirements. The one I was looking at was the Norcold NA7LX, last digit either R for right, L for left swing door. This is a 2 way 120V or propane although there seems to also be a 3 way model. The photos on the various websites don't seem to agree with the door hinge description. To me, if it is called a right hand hinge, looking at the front of the refrigerator the hinges should be on the right side. Door swing doesn't seem to be all that a useful description. No idea if I'm right...
Old 07-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #77

Trailer: shopping
I am also making decisions about my build for a future 19 and am thinking about the fridge upgrade. After this discussion and my own inclinations, I pretty much decided on the 6 cubic ft. Now this new option of Norcold brings in another angle. What is the cost to upgrade?
AlohaVicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #78

Trailer: shopping
Oops. Sorry. I see it is $452
AlohaVicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #79

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
... Door swing doesn't seem to be all that a useful description. ...
Useful or not that's the long-standing convention for describing entry & interior doors, cabinet doors, appliance doors, casement windows, etc.

When facing the door / window from the side that it moves toward, "left swing" refers to open on the left edge, hinge on the right; "right swing" refers to open on the right, hinge on the left.

Not saying it's 'intuitive', but it's the universal standard nomenclature.

The easy way to remember when faced with a spec for door "swing" .... it's the side you pull to open the door.
____

As far as the new reefer option ... would that it were a Nova Kool or other with the 'Danfoss' compressor system rather than an absorption type. Norcold does offer such, perhaps that's what ETI is offering? That would be a substantive difference from the Dometic, perhaps of interest to those inclined to all-solar electric solutions, or those who prefer highly efficient flameless refrigeration while underway on the road.

Among other attributes, reefers with 'Danfoss' compressors are relatively insensitive to being 'out-of-level'; the operating efficiency is the same (optimal) whether operating in 12VDC or 120VAC mode; the current-demand in 12VDC mode is a small fraction of the 12VDC demand of comparable size absorption types.

If you run your reefer in propane mode a lot and are happy with it's performance / gas consumption, a 'Danfoss compressor-type' probably won't be of much interest.

Sub'd to follow and see if anyone comes up with the definitive answer to what's now being offered as an option.
____

FWIW in my discussions earlier this year with ETI, they politely declined to install a Nova Kool (12VDC/120VAC 'Danfoss' compressor) unit in the same-size cutout, but readily agreed to delete the Dometic and associated propane provisions, leaving the cutout and 12VDC/120VAC wiring ($480 deduct). The Nova Kool unit that fits the same cutout is slightly larger interior volume than the Dometic due to the more efficient packaging / reduced clearances of the compressor mechanicals in comparison to absorption-type mechanicals; as far as I can tell the box-insulation is comparable between the two types.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #80

Trailer: 2012 E19
The side one pulls (the side with handle) is the side that swings away. The hinged side is held from swinging away. So a handle on the right means right swing. It's not the left-right direction the door is heading, but is the side of the door that swings away from the fridge body. I hope that helps provide a new mental image to associate with the nomenclature.