Best choice on fridge ?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19 ordered
Posts: 494
Best choice on fridge ??

My 19 build sheet is due april 14th and i still haven't decided on the fridge. I like the idea of the bigger freezer for our use i believe that be the only plus for us to upgrade. how much more room in the freezer?
I know they had some fridge problems in the past is one of these unit more prone to problem?also it looks like the bigger fridge would draw to much power to run on 12 volt while traveling. Looking for suggestions . Thanks


P.s any one know the mode of these 2 fridges ?
__________________

NEWYORKHILLBILLY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 1,584
Most people do not use the 12 volt function on any model fridge as the tow vehicleís wiring is not thick enough to carry the amount of current required.

We are always out and about and can pick up stuff at a store so we have the normal fridge. If you are a person that stays a week in the bush...then you might want the big fridge.
__________________

__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,953
I had the smaller unit in my E19 and the larger in my E21, personally, I was happy with the smaller unit. easier to cool down and the freezer was basically only for keeping ice and ice cream which can easily be done in the smaller single door unit in the E19. Propane is the best way to cool with 120v if you have hookups. The 12v function should not be used for various reasons mentioned already.
__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,098
We like the big fridge in our 19. Keep quite a bit of frozen meats, etc so we can prolong shopping on longer trips. Easy to carry extra dry goods in back of truck for resupply, but fridge has to be able to store enough perishables to make the plan work.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,953
If you do get the stock single door unit, that space above the refer is a nice dry goods pantry. Otherwise the microwave goes there,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0056.jpg (229.3 KB, 35 views)
__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 60
As I'm working through my own Build-Sheet with ETI at the moment, one way I look at this sort of choice: "What's the cost / difficulty of an after-purchase upgrade if I 'go small' and later suffer remorse?"

In the case of the reefer both are high. There's mods that can be done to increase the efficiency ('effective capacity') of general storage in the E19; not so when it comes to reefer capacity.

Me, I'm looking forward to much more generous cold-storage capacity (as well as storage in general) in my move from the Casita to an Escape.

Just for your consideration, YMMV.
__________________
Prospective Escape E21 purchaser
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Posts: 142
The large fridge option in our E19 works great. Camped few times for days where daylight temps went above 100 and the fridge didn't miss a beat. I tested it on 12v (22-24 amp) just to see it actually works but when out camping always use it on propane.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 1,856
I’m not going to pull any punches here. I have had small refrigerators and large refrigerators in various trailers, all have been absorption refrigerators, and they all have, for lack of a more descriptive term sucked.
I did not find either size cooled down any faster but even the larger sized refrigerators are still relatively limited in their capacity. I typically relocate the thermistor off of the internal fins to promote better performance, and I find it takes 4 or 5 hours on 120vac when starting up after a period of non use to get to operating temperature. When possible, anything going inside gets pre-chilled. Honestly, for me this is a no-brainer. Refrigerator capacity is better to have and not fully utilize than to not have and wish you did. I would go with the larger size.
__________________
What a long strange trip itís been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I typically relocate the thermistor off of the internal fins to promote better performance, and I find it takes 4 or 5 hours on 120vac when starting up after a period of non use to get to operating temperature. When possible, anything going inside gets pre-chilled.
Carl: Are you suggesting this is abnormal? Sounds pretty reasonable to me for an absorption fridge. I believe most campers turn the fridge on to pre-cool the day before a trip. I have found that pre-chilled food is key as well for initial stability of temperature.
__________________
ďOne way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.Ē― W.F.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19 ordered
Posts: 494
does anyone know the model numbers of these fridges ?I am trying to figure out the freezer capacity of both units.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,803
My 2017 21 refrigerator is a DM2663LBX S# 72792560 958687005.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,953
Escape should/would be able to give you model numbers. The Dometic models are a 5 cu/ft 3 way and a 6 cu/ft 3 way according to their website. So it appears to be a 1 cubic foot difference in the refer/freezer section. I know the available space above is more than 1 cu/ft so there must be some dead space above the unit.
__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19 ordered
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Escape should/would be able to give you model numbers. The Dometic models are a 5 cu/ft 3 way and a 6 cu/ft 3 way according to their website. So it appears to be a 1 cubic foot difference in the refer/freezer section. I know the available space above is more than 1 cu/ft so there must be some dead space above the unit.



I will get them out a email, but was hoping to finish my build sheet over the weekend. as stated i only interested is the increase size of the freezer. if the freezer not twice the size I will just stick with the smaller unit, as i like to have that space above. If i could get model number i could probably find out the freezer size on both units
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,018
Reefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Iím not going to pull any punches here. I have had small refrigerators and large refrigerators in various trailers, all have been absorption refrigerators, and they all have, for lack of a more descriptive term sucked.
I did not find either size cooled down any faster but even the larger sized refrigerators are still relatively limited in their capacity. I typically relocate the thermistor off of the internal fins to promote better performance, and I find it takes 4 or 5 hours on 120vac when starting up after a period of non use to get to operating temperature. When possible, anything going inside gets pre-chilled. Honestly, for me this is a no-brainer. Refrigerator capacity is better to have and not fully utilize than to not have and wish you did. I would go with the larger size.
Hi Carl
Like you, we precool the refrigerator, use the freezer for meat and frozen goods when out for an extended period of time and get by pretty good in "normal weather". When it is in the 90s or above the refrigerator in the 2013 21 Escape struggles.The freezer may warm up some but stays frozen well. For guaranteed 34 degree F refrigeration performance we have an Engel 12v/120V freezer/refrigerator that works great. It has a very low amp draw. something like .8 to 2.8 so the solar keeps the batteries up easily when needed. If we have hookups we switch over ( change cords) to 120 V, We've had the since the fall of 2017 and wouldn't be without it. During the holidays we also use the Engel to keep the beer cold.
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
does anyone know the model numbers of these fridges ?I am trying to figure out the freezer capacity of both units.
I asked on 2/21/2020 I was given the following in an email from ETI:

5 cuft = Dometic RM2554
6 cuft = Dometic DM2683
__________________
Prospective Escape E21 purchaser
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Carl
Like you, we precool the refrigerator, use the freezer for meat and frozen goods when out for an extended period of time and get by pretty good in "normal weather". When it is in the 90s or above the refrigerator in the 2013 21 Escape struggles.The freezer may warm up some but stays frozen well. For guaranteed 34 degree F refrigeration performance we have an Engel 12v/120V freezer/refrigerator that works great. It has a very low amp draw. something like .8 to 2.8 so the solar keeps the batteries up easily when needed. If we have hookups we switch over ( change cords) to 120 V, We've had the since the fall of 2017 and wouldn't be without it. During the holidays we also use the Engel to keep the beer cold.
Iowa Dave
Kinda like comparing apples and oranges for your original fridge vs the ones Escape uses now. The RM8555/RM8551 shouldn't have been used by Escape as it was not intended for the US/Canadian market but for northern Europe. It had cooling problems from the start.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ling-5344.html

Escape uses the DM2683LBFX for the 6 cu ft model.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post318590

The last I heard, they were using the RM 2554 for the 5 cu ft model.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ions-7403.html

Hope this helps. For what it's worth - I've had both fridges and would pick the DM2683 in a heartbeat over the RM2554. The freezer in the DM2683 can hold a lot more and the double doors keep the freezer from loosing cold as much.
__________________
If It Isnít Perfect, It Isnít Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,018
I am aware that the new Dometic units are superior to what we have. I was not comparing them, just reporting on our operation and successes and failures. If any Dometic refrigerator/ freezer exhibits a catastrophic failure when I own it, I will not hesitate to reconfigure the space to accommodate a second Engel of whatever model. I am not impressed with Dometic. The swing compressor is superior to absorption cooling in my opinion. Hope everyone has good results with whatever they use. I’ve also used the Engel loaded in the cargo area of the Highlander to haul frozen, farm raised chickens for 400 miles, and for day trips as an alternative to icing down a conventional cooler.
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I am aware that the new Dometic units are superior to what we have. I was not comparing them, just reporting on our operation and successes and failures. If any Dometic refrigerator/ freezer exhibits a catastrophic failure when I own it, I will not hesitate to reconfigure the space to accommodate a second Engel of whatever model. I am not impressed with Dometic. The swing compressor is superior to absorption cooling in my opinion. Hope everyone has good results with whatever they use. I’ve also used the Engel loaded in the cargo area of the Highlander to haul frozen, farm raised chickens for 400 miles, and for day trips as an alternative to icing down a conventional cooler.
Sorry, I just wanted to point out that for the OP - your fridge problems are not ones that should be worried about as Escape no longer uses the problematic RM8555/RM8551 series in the trailers. If I had owned a RM8555, I would be ticked off as well and would likely never buy another of their products again.

The Engle does seem to be a great fridge - as long as power is available. I still would pick a propane model for boondocking myself. Everyone's camping styles are different and necessitate different needs.
__________________
If It Isnít Perfect, It Isnít Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19 ordered
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I asked on 2/21/2020 I was given the following in an email from ETI:

5 cuft = Dometic RM2554
6 cuft = Dometic DM2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Kinda like comparing apples and oranges for your original fridge vs the ones Escape uses now. The RM8555/RM8551 shouldn't have been used by Escape as it was not intended for the US/Canadian market but for northern Europe. It had cooling problems from the start.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ling-5344.html

Escape uses the DM2683LBFX for the 6 cu ft model.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post318590

The last I heard, they were using the RM 2554 for the 5 cu ft model.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ions-7403.html

Hope this helps. For what it's worth - I've had both fridges and would pick the DM2683 in a heartbeat over the RM2554. The freezer in the DM2683 can hold a lot more and the double doors keep the freezer from loosing cold as much.

Thanks you this is very helpful



The Dm2663 has 1.70 cu FT freezer and 4.6 cu.ft fridge. I cant find specs on the RM2554 But as TDF-Texas pointed out its much larger
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 60
All gas absorption reefer/freezers have their inherent quirks, pros, and cons.

The primary alternative to that technology for RVs is the several reefer/freezers utilizing the long-proven Danfoss compressor technology, which has it's own quirks, pros, and cons. Danfoss is of course electric only, available configured for 12VDC, 24VDC, and/or 120VAC operation. Size-for-size Danfoss units consistently have significantly lower amp demand than gas absorption units operating at comparable voltage in the electric mode (that mode utilizing a resistance-heating element to drive the gas absorption cycle).

Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck is one reputable company offering RV reefer/freezers using the Danfoss compressor, and offering similar capacity units which fit in the cutout dimensions for many Dometic models.

No, ETI will not install a Nova Kool in lieu of the Dometic, I asked; I have not asked if ETI would deliver a trailer sans reefer, or if they would, what what sort of <$deduct> that would involve.

While I might like to try a Danfoss technology reefer in my new RV, I've managed just fine for many years with Dometic gas absorption units as have many, many others. For me at least they've been reliable, albeit quirky with their pros and cons. YMMV.

FWIW I'm in the camp that would opt for the largest reefer available when ordering any given RV.
__________________

__________________
Prospective Escape E21 purchaser
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×