Best travel route from the East to Sumas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Best travel route from the East to Sumas

Now that my trailer is in production I am starting planning the pickup trip. hopefully by late July or August more campsite will be open. I know many of you have made the trip from the east to chilliwack. My question is on the end of my route in washington. Looks like you can go across rt#20 or south on interstate #90 to the #5 . I wondering if towing would be a problem across Rt#20 in the mountains. I sure that will be more scenic along that route. Maybe I should take interstate out and #20 back as i have a nice place to stay behind me.what do you guys think.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We have done the pick up twice now and have 2 different routes but on our last route would make the sense for you since it was the northern route. Depending on your time of travel and day of week. We stayed at Motel 6 which was fine mon-thurs but on weekends that fee is close to double. I80 across from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and around Chicago. AT Chicago you must make a choice, you can bypass Chicago and stay on I80 all the way to Omaha and then head north to I90 at Sioux Falls, SD. Stay on I90 thru Spokane , Wa until you hit I5 north thru Seattle, again avoid rush hour times, stay on I5 until Bellingham, Wa where you exit and head to Sumas, Wa. It took us us 48 hours driving over 3 days and 3 nights, avg 61 mph speed and 2954 miles. Your numbers of course will be different. We left home early Wednesday am and arrived in Bellingham early Saturday am
Old 06-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Route 20 has some absolutely gorgeous scenery, and is fine to tow on, although it is two lanes most of the way, and has some winding and steep grades. I-90 has some nice scenery, and is fast and easy in the summer.

US2 is another nice alternative. I would definitely get off of I-90 before you get to I-5, unless you do it early in the morning on a weekend. Avoid Seattle metro area traffic whenever possible - it is no fun at all.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are concerned about the hills, they are not as bad on US 2. I've comfortably towed on both but I've done a fair amount of mountain driving. WA 20 is a bit more scenic, but both are beautiful drives.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I just got back a few weeks ago.

I went hwy 20 across to the point I hit hwy 2 somewhere in the desert near Spokane. I got flipped off twice in 20 minutes in Spokane, just driving thru.

The drive is lovely and the 5.0TA did great. I had to adjust the trailer assist brake to about 7.5, but no big deal. The scenery is spectacular.

If you end up going I-90 across Idaho, look for a little place in Challis, ID, named Challis Hot Springs! A few days out. Delightful. There are others too.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I just got back a few weeks ago.

I went hwy 20 across to the point I hit hwy 2 somewhere in the desert near Spokane. I got flipped off twice in 20 minutes in Spokane, just driving thru.

The drive is lovely and the 5.0TA did great. I had to adjust the trailer assist brake to about 7.5, but no big deal. The scenery is spectacular.

If you end up going I-90 across Idaho, look for a little place in Challis, ID, named Challis Hot Springs! A few days out. Delightful. There are others too.

In Spokane where they flipping you off just for the out of state plates? I am a little concerned about traveling out west with my NY plates. It seems our city's have gone crazy. I don't mind getting flipped off it the more severe unwelcoming that concerns me.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #7

Just plan on going through Spokane at night, once thru you are getting close.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I don't think you will have any issues with New York tags at all. Most people in the West are very friendly. You can find a few jerks anywhere. Interestingly, we have circled the country six times, and the only place I got a few dirty looks with California tags, was a small town in Idaho.
Kodakajika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
I would recommend Route 2. We took that out West a few years ago and really enjoyed the slower pace of the 2 lane. All of the roads were good and you would have no problem towing a trailer on it.

We did it a little differently at the beginning and I am not sure that the borders will be open when you are ready to go out. We crossed in Buffalo and went around the top of the lakes, crossed back in Sault St. Marie, Picked up US 2 there. If the border isn't open, you will have to take 90 West out to the Fargo area and pick up US 2 there.

I am jealous as we were really looking forward to making that trip West last month to pick ours up.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
WA 20 is a good, scenic route. If you wish to take it on the return trip, go south from the border on WA 9 then turn left at Sedro-Woolley onto 20. I've driven both while pulling my trailer and had no problems. There is a good commercial campground in Winthrop, but there are also public campgrounds along the way in North Cascades National Park.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17A
We picked up our 17A about six weeks ago and drove Route 2 to Spokane and enjoyed it. It is scenic and easy towing. We didn't want to tackle Route 20 the first few miles of pulling our new trailer, having only towed a tent trailer before. We did find a tiny RV camp in Douglas, Washington, in between Wenatchee and Spokane. Room for about 6 to 8 rigs with great hosts and a quiet, small hamlet. Nice to have a quiet night. Good luck.
bobekey6@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
In Spokane where they flipping you off just for the out of state plates? I am a little concerned about traveling out west with my NY plates. It seems our city's have gone crazy. I don't mind getting flipped off it the more severe unwelcoming that concerns me.
Keep in mind, I did not survey the flippers! They seemed to be kids not wanting to deal with an oversized truck not sure of where the driver was going. It was rush hour and I drive a little slow thru cities I do not know.

But it did stand out! God bless them too, just like the furry little critters. God bless everybody.

I went out Hwy 2 and back Hwy 20. Both are good. I like Hwy 20 better. Plus you will be there later in the year and the foliage should be better. Lots of camping that way (20)!

Hwy 20 is twisty turney and the 5.0TA kicked ass!
Old 06-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The city of Sedro-Woolley has an RV park in Riverfront Park. It is reasonably priced, has electric / water hookups, and the city has an RV dump station about a mile or so away. It's a good place to stay if you want to check out the area for a few days. The park had to close for the pandemic so it would be good to check beforehand to see if it has opened again.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I have lived in Idaho for over 30 years and travel I90 in Montana, Idaho, and Washington all the time. In the summer and fall, out of state license plates usually outnumber those in state. So not to worry!! I have no idea why anyone would have gotten flipped off in Spokane, I go there a lot with Idaho plates and have never had that happen. I’ve also never had any problem traveling, fishing, and camping in Montana. Most folks are pretty laid back and very friendly, particularly in rural areas. But again, on I90 in cities, you will be among many who have out of state plates! Please don’t be concerned, there should be no problem
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #15

I would go again and not be concerned. Although I cannot remember that last time that happened.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Schedule??

WE picked up in Phoenix 2 weeks ago. Worked out OK for us and we spent 2 weeks camping our way home to TN..alot of stuff was just not open in WA, CA and OR
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
WE picked up in Phoenix 2 weeks ago. Worked out OK for us and we spent 2 weeks camping our way home to TN..alot of stuff was just not open in WA, CA and OR

Where looking at the Third week of August. Still might get delivered. We are stilled concerned about covid. From what i hearing once we leave NY there may be plenty of encounters with people with out mask. I also trowing around the idea of meeting 1/2 way. It is long drive all the way from here. This supposed to be our trip of a life time . with the hug rise is cases over the last week we are getting second thoughts on pick up. Here in NY where slowly opening back up.We have the new cases down and under control. I hope it stays that way. It just so hard to guess at what will be happening 60 days from now. How did you trip go? I heard the delivery truck broke down. Did you have any problems with social distancing along the way?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #18

This pandemic thing seems to be reigniting. I'd get it delivered, less stress. then you can always take your lifetime trip once it is safer later, perhaps next year back to Osoyoos, like the swallows and butterfly and salmon migration every year returning back home, all the Escapes back in British Columbia, all in a circles, with chairs and members waiting greet you. A sight to behold....
Old 06-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #19

last years rally.......
Attached Images