Beware the cold call - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2023, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Beware the cold call

In sales, the cold call is known as a technique used by salesmen who have no hard leads. They get lists of potential customers who might have an interest in what is the pitch. Never been in sales but that’s my understanding of what salesmen do when they are told by their bosses to dig for leads.

Been called frequently by these annoying people and regardless of my indignant responses nothing has deterred them from handing off my name and number to another salesman who calls me back. It never ends. Usually it seems to be guys offering me better Medicare insurance, or refinancing a mortgage I don’t have, or contributing to some first responders’ fund. Blocking their number just makes them switch to using a different one, and its most often not from Nigeria, but my own area code.

I got a call once with a sob story by a guy claiming to be my young nephew and needing two thousand dollars for bail money because he was unfairly arrested someplace upstate. To scammers us seniors are clearly the most vulnerable. Many alone or lonely, or simply off guard, naïve. When I can think of it, I have fun with them. “OH, him? He died a month ago.”

Yesterday, though, was a new one. A guy called and told me he was told that I have a travel trailer I was looking to sell. He wanted to make me an offer. Wh-a-a-a-t? Jeepers creepers, I thought. How did he get my name and number, how did he even know I had a trailer? Was this guy prowling my neighborhood?

Watch out, gang, because they are out there.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Guy was hitchhiking along the highway. I stopped to give him a ride. He got in, settled in and after a few minutes said thanks for the ride. He said hitchhiking is tough these days with all the crazies out there. He said how do you know I’m not some kind of a serial killer. I looked at him and said “what’s the chance of there being two serial killers in one car?” Guy jumped out of my moving car. Cold callers are like gnats, just irritating.
That’s it for today.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-16-2023, 08:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
If we don’t recognize the number on caller ID we don’t answer. Figure if it’s legitimate they’ll leave a message. They almost never do.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Your tracks are everywhere

With these computers and cell phones, tracking and cookies, forget about being anomalous. They got us "dialed in". Best technique is not to respond in any manner. That said, I've been sending back, with the prepaid postal solicitations that I receive for myself and a deceased relative, to stop. So far, not so good.

They'll hound us 'til were gone.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
That said, I've been sending back, with the prepaid postal solicitations that I receive for myself and a deceased relative, to stop.
This one works. I had to do it for both of my parents after their deaths: https://www.ims-dm.com/cgi/ddnc.php

The USPS has the link to the DMAChoice on their page here: https://www.usps.com/manage/mail-for-deceased.htm
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Guy was hitchhiking along the highway. I stopped to give him a ride. He got in, settled in and after a few minutes said thanks for the ride. He said hitchhiking is tough these days with all the crazies out there. He said how do you know I’m not some kind of a serial killer. I looked at him and said “what’s the chance of there being two serial killers in one car?” Guy jumped out of my moving car.
That’s a good one Dave!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Thanks

Thanks, Donna
I'll give that option a try. Got to be better than what I've tried so far.

What is discouraging is to give a donation to an outfit, and then be hounded, for years afterward, for more. Politicans, National Park groups, whoever. They don't cease and desist.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I always have this ready to read:
Persuant to Title 15, Chapter 87A, paragraphs 6151-6155 of the U.S. code, you can be liable for fines up to $25,000 per call for violations of the federal do not call registry. A complaint will be filed against your company's name.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Thanks, Donna
I'll give that option a try. Got to be better than what I've tried so far.
It will take a couple of months for it to be successful, be patient. I've spent a lot of time looking for organizations to help me stop all insurance and credit card offers, etc. I want to travel and am trying to get as much snail mail stopped from delivery. USPS will only stop mail for a month and right now I'm not interested in a third-party mail service like Escapees. You'd be surprised how much mail you can opt out of.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 05:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I don't usually answer a call I don't recognize the number but you really want to make the person on the other end feel weird? Answer : 'Grandma's Sex Toys new and used, we buy and sell this is Matt how can I help you.' The couple of times I have tried this they hung up on me.

Enjoy the road and smooth travels.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 06:14 AM   #11

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Remember in the world of GOOGLE, AMAZON, FACEBOOK, TWITTER etc YOU are the product.

These businesses are built on collecting every ounce of your data to sell it to others who want to sell you products and services. It is also used by criminals to steal your data. Without collecting and selling your data they would soon be out of business.

If you want to rid yourself of those annoying "sales people" ,either on the phone/email/popups, quit using the internet. The internet is Free for a reason.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 06:23 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
A friend has an app on his cell phone that answers a spam call with a heavily-Russian accented guy saying things like, "I didn't get that; please repeat it"; "Oh my god, see what's happening! Turn on your TV"; etc. Eventually the (human) spammers give up.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
There's a big difference between cold callers and scammers. You're being victimized by scam callers, not salesmen. They don't want to sell you, they want to cheat you.

Like others have said: if you don't recognize the number, simply don't pick up. If it's genuine and important, they will leave a voice mail and you can call them back.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Pretty much not a day goes by without me getting a call wanting to purchase a property. I’m on all the no call registry’s, they couldn’t care less. There are times I’m expecting calls and playing leave a message tag isn’t an option as they are new phone numbers to me. They’ve got it down, usually getting calls with my local area code from someone who is sitting in a foreign country.

Our information is stored with the county government, a trailer call is a new one I’ve never had.
There are services available the scammers pay for the information so they themselves don’t have to search the county database for it. Mostly it’s local realtors who use the service then outsource the cold calls. It’s really nasty when you think about what they’re really looking for, they find victims or they wouldn’t keep doing it.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:32 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
There's a big difference between cold callers and scammers. You're being victimized by scam callers, not salesmen. They don't want to sell you, they want to cheat you.

Like others have said: if you don't recognize the number, simply don't pick up. If it's genuine and important, they will leave a voice mail and you can call them back.
Yes, but a "cold caller" who violates both state and federal law by calling someone on the do not call lists is still breaking the law.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:51 AM   #16
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This one works. I had to do it for both of my parents after their deaths: https://www.ims-dm.com/cgi/ddnc.php

The USPS has the link to the DMAChoice on their page here: https://www.usps.com/manage/mail-for-deceased.htm
Donna, Thank you for the link. I have been dealing with this for a few months. It is so frustrating. Sometimes 4 or 5 donation requests a day. I have gotten to the point of calling the organization and saying "They will not be giving you money. They are dead."

Quote:
It will take a couple of months for it to be successful, be patient. I've spent a lot of time looking for organizations to help me stop all insurance and credit card offers, etc. I want to travel and am trying to get as much snail mail stopped from delivery. USPS will only stop mail for a month and right now I'm not interested in a third-party mail service like Escapees. You'd be surprised how much mail you can opt out of.
Freezing your credit (it is free) will help eliminate some credit card offers. Most credit cards will hit your credit report prior to sending an offer, the freeze will prevent the hit so it minimizes the offers.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...a-credit-lock/

We have also been very diligent about taking each piece of junk mail and calling the organization to get get off their mailing list. This has taken some time, but it has been successful. We actually go days now without getting any mail.

We use USPS Informed Delivery to monitor the our (and parents) mail delivery, so we know what is being delivered and also have an idea when the mail box is getting full. Then we have a trusted individual pick up our mail every three to four weeks or sooner if there seems to be something important. Picking up your mail more often than every 30 days should stop the Post Office from returning your mail to sender with a message that you are no longer at that address. We had this happen to someone we know.

Kathy
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:

Didn't work at all for my first aunt- still getting solicitations for her in year 4. I'll try it for the one who just passed away.
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:34 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
It took 4 yrs before these jerks stop sending stuff to my wife after she passed away from cancer. I gave up after 6 months of telling them all to stop due to her being deceased but it’s had to win when your dealing with a computer
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
The other thing I really, really detest is companies that get someone to sign up for a subscription for things like dog toys, dog food, food prep, etc, without them being aware they will be billed over and over and it may be hard to get them to stop. This really preys on anyone who isn't as sharp as they once were and might not notice the fine print. One company (that sends dog toys) insisted my Mom had signed up on the computer and kept claiming to send a password reset, none of which ever came to her email address (which they confirmed they had accurately). I think we finally got rid of that one by canceling the credit card. It's great for people who want a recurring item but it needs to be 100% clear without reading fine print that it is not a one-time purchase.

Or better yet, make it illegal to sell a subscription item unless the person confirms they understand it is a recurring purchase AND they have bought the item at least once to confirm they want it. Trials should be just that- one and done, then if you like it, you can sign up.
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
If we don’t recognize the number on caller ID we don’t answer. Figure if it’s legitimate they’ll leave a message. They almost never do.
My habit, too.

When I read forum threads on the topic of nuisance voice calls, texts, and emails I'm more often than not amazed at what many folks seem to be dealing with.

Not sure why, maybe related to my total abstinence from any "social media" site (?), and I am on the old school 'do not call registry', but I can go weeks without getting nuisance calls / texts and get maybe 2-5 junk emails per week, invariably automatically routed to my Gmail spam folder.

I can live with that, certainly not complaining, but yeah, the traffic, especially text, does pick up a bit during election cycles. And yeah, I admit I see occasional mentions of stuff on FB groups that I'd like to know more about, but not enough to sign-up to FB (yet).

Maybe I just don't know the 'fun' I'm missing!