Bigfoot Wreck - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Bigfoot Wreck

Video worth watching, especially new campers.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Recalls?
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
First impression “ Too much trailer— Not enough truck “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
Recalls?
The 2003-2007 Bigfoot 21FB was recalled due to unsafe towing conditions with a light tongue. It appears to have been a poor design. The fix was a reinforced tongue section and 275# of ballast (weighted plates) that was added. The recall went out in 2007 and Bigfoot went out of business in 2008 which means that if an owner waited or the recall info didn’t reach them that possibly some of these trailers never got fixed.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2007/B...2520FB#recalls
Old 11-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Thanks
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While this was traumatic and a terrible thing to happen, many of her tips are not all that accurate, especially for the masses.

The number one point she put across though, is that folks need to bother to learn about towing and all the particulars of that. Too many think it will be no problem as lots of people do it, but........

Glad they came out of it okay.

BTW, I love to drive at night, whether or not towing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
She doesn't even know how long the trailer is... not exactly an expert. Even after this learning experience, she still clearly doesn't understand much. Fortunately, it's often possible to learn from the experiences of people who themselves don't know much.

Her list and my comments:
  1. Take responsibility for your own safety.
    I think that all females should be insulted by her characterization of this mistake as a "typical woman thing", but the point about responsibility (for everyone) is valid.
  2. Practice before a road trip.
    Yes, but I don't know how pulling the Bigfoot around a parking lot would have made a difference to this incident.
  3. Lose the agenda.
    That's idiotic; in the real world, people have schedules. A useful tip might be to prioritize safe towing over schedule adherence.
  4. Don't drive in the dark.
    While darkness increases the probability of problems, especially on unfamiliar roads, as a general rule this is nonsense.
  5. Know the weight of your camper [trailer].
    Yes, but she seems to think that it is important only to know whether the trailer weighs more or less than the tow vehicle, which is irrelevant trivia.
  6. Be aware of your surroundings.
    Yes... and not just surroundings, but the whole driving situation
  7. Know how to use your trailer brakes.
    Um, yeah. You needed to crash to think of that? Scary.
  8. Check the recall list.
    In this case, the recall only addressed ballasting to ensure suitable mass (weight) distribution, but the trailer could have been loaded properly without the ballast, which was added to handle situations in which people had full tanks behind the axle, empty tanks ahead, and other cargo not loaded to compensate.

Now for the two things which she didn't learn, and which are actually relevant:
  • load the trailer for proper mass distribution
  • adjust the hitch for suitable trailer attitude (level) (and in this case thus equal load distribution between the axles)
I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that someone who calls herself "Liz Amazing" feels qualified to tell people how to tow, without knowing anything about towing.

By the way, a fifth-wheel RV trailer (or "camper") is a travel trailer... just one with the tongue extending over the back of the truck. It has all the same characteristics and issues as any other trailer, but is typically more stable because it typically (but not always) has a more forward weight distribution, and because the hitch coupling point is much closer to the tow vehicle's rear axle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Both of them had limited or no trailer towing experience at all.....another factor,
Old 11-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm not insulted by her characterization. Surprisingly, that's typical. Perhaps it's because females are more vocal when it come to their fears about towing? At any rate, I often remind women on Facebook... no one, absolutely no one is born with the hooking up the trailer and towing gene. Everyone learns. It actually gives a few an A-Ha moment.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that someone who calls herself "Liz Amazing" feels qualified to tell people how to tow, without knowing anything about towing.
That was my impression. I felt that the video was posted more to get youtube revenue than because she learned some of the factual stuff like proper trailer loading etc.

Hopefully a few of the points might be of benefit to someone. But if they learn from that video then it's scary that they're towing and don't already know those basics.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I felt that the video was posted more to get youtube revenue than because she learned some of the factual stuff like proper trailer loading etc.
Probably. Her mission is to “help and inspire others” yet it appears she posted this many years after it happened. It’s looks like a Gen 1 Tundra, 2007 Bigfoot 21FB at the newest and she looks much younger in the photo still next to her smiley face boyfriend. If she really cared one would think she would have published this much earlier than Oct 4th, 2019. Just seems a bit disingenuous. Adding insult to injury is that in all that time it doesn’t sound like she learned too much.
Attached Thumbnails
BE62129A-E078-4A5D-A6CA-FBDA65C0A932.jpg  
Old 11-05-2019, 10:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: elongest... THANKS for posting this. It's good to know how to... from others mistakes. I have had to correct my 5.0TA's attitude once by using the trailer brakes only!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Yes would agree with all of the comments I read in this thread, she seemed clueless about a lot of important things when you are towing. Interesting how I never heard the mention of a WDH, that would have helped.
Driving today has gotten more dangerous because to many people are not driving hands free. GA passed a hands free law in 2017 but I have seen little change in driving habits. I say all the time enforce the hands free law and speeding in school zones, you could save lives and use the revenue to help with local budgets.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Yes would agree with all of the comments I read in this thread, she seemed clueless about a lot of important things when you are towing. Interesting how I never heard the mention of a WDH, that would have helped.
Driving today has gotten more dangerous because to many people are not driving hands free. GA passed a hands free law in 2017 but I have seen little change in driving habits. I say all the time enforce the hands free law and speeding in school zones, you could save lives and use the revenue to help with local budgets.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Actually a w/d may not have helped as the issue of too light of tongue weight was the issue. Anti-sway equipment as well as the newer vehicles with built in anti-sway brake control would have helped. Neither was in use here.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
While her “mistakes and tips” had value to many trailer owners, from my experience, talking with many trailer owners about towing, I think there’s a whole additional level of towing considerations, many more important than some of the ones she offered up. As mentioned, no explanation or revelation of several important towing considerations.
1. WDH
2. Properly mounted and adjusted WDH
3. Properly set trailer brake controller
4. Properly adjusted trailer brakes
5. Tire inflations , tire age, tire suitability, tread depth
6. Side to side balanced loading
7. Knowledge of tongue weight.
8. Dead level towing attitude
9. Load limits of the tow vehicle (all around)
10. Mentally preparing for tight situations including the manual override of the brake controller.
Most all of these topics are discussed about once a month on this and other trailer forums so due diligence would indicate a responsibility for education before towing.
Sorry she wrecked her trailer and truck and glad nobody was real seriously hurt or worse. Her video was an appetizer in the seven course meal called towing. Left everybody hungry and waiting for the main dish. In my experienced opinion. Your opinion may vary.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #16

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
And be the tortoise and not the hare.

I’ve always towed at 60mph max. A comfortable, for me, speed to handle emergencies, blowouts , etc.

Sam
Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
10. Mentally preparing for tight situations including the manual override of the brake controller.

Having trailer brakes and knowing how to use them are two different concepts. Every time we leave, usually withing a block or so, I squeeze the trailer brakes to make sure they're working. When Terry drives I make sure she squeezes them too.

On some vehicles the brake controller is on the left side of the steering wheel where only the driver can initiate trailer brakes. Our F150 controller is on the right side. On her Toyota the trailer brake controller was on the left. Once, with our Cougar, the trailer started to sway, Terry panicked, and I squeezed the brakes. There is a good vs a better place to install the brake controller. On our Odyssey I had the controller mounted as far to the right as possible.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Installer has to be aware of air bag locations before mounting controller.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
On her Toyota the trailer brake controller was on the left.
I don't think the video ever shows the brake controller used in the Toyota; the short clip shows the integrated controller on the left in her current Chevrolet Silverado, and a first-gen Tundra wouldn't have even had an integrated controller available.

Personally, while my controller is mounted in the middle because that's where a suitable space was available, I don't want a passenger touching it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think the video ever shows the brake controller used in the Toyota; the short clip shows the integrated controller on the left in her current Chevrolet Silverado, and a first-gen Tundra wouldn't have even had an integrated controller available.
I stand corrected.

Quote:
Personally, while my controller is mounted in the middle because that's where a suitable space was available, I don't want a passenger touching it.
And I was glad I could grab the controller when the sway happened with Terry driving. I knew where the controller was to activate.

What kind of passengers ride in your tow?

Enjoy,

Perry