Bigfoot Wreck - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The one point I liked was don't tow in the dark. Besides the safety aspect, arriving at campsites in the dark is stressful at best. Can be hard on your marriage.
As mentioned before, towing (or any driving) in the dark is just fine with me. Way easier to see traffic, and way less of it. I have set up the trailer in the dark with my wife many times, it has zero effect on our marriage. I do the parking and she helps set up the trailer afterwards. A cocktail often follows.

I have heard others say their sight is affected in the dark, but as long as I am awake and alert, I am fine. Don't forget, I am young yet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
and yeah, I don't mind driving in the dark, unless its in heavy traffic or the rain. most of the time when its happened when traveling with a trailer, we don't even unhitch, just park, sleep, and continue in the AM. WHen arriving at a proper destination campground where we'll be setting up for several days, I do like to arrive mid afternoon to have plenty of time to setup and chill.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We normally leave after dark and I just keep driving until it is light again and then look for a place after lunch to stop for the day. Most of the truck traffic stops at night as evidenced by the full rest areas....
Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
they /should/ last forever, unless the surface of the ball shows excess wear or galling. in my case, somehow the nut had come loose, perhaps it wasn't torqued on hard enough in the first place.
Once not towing , the ball was not tightened enough . I did catch it . Does it matter if on the top the chrome is worn off . It has been like this for years . The chrome came off in the first year because, Dennis told us don’t grease the ball. One I saw that I started putting grease on the ball . I wipe off and reinstall and cover the ball if not towing . I bought a huge wrench and tightened the nut down and check . Just wondering if on the top missing chrome is a problem ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #65
Site Team

missing chrome isn't a problem, but if the steel starts to gall and get rough or pitted, thats a problem. as long as you're greasing it, you're good.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #66

Quote:
missing chrome isn't a problem, but if the steel starts to gall and get rough or pitted, thats a problem. as long as you're greasing it, you're good.
Thanks John . Pat
Old 11-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The three best sentences uttered in a campground when arriving after dark are:
1. Look there’s a pull through that’s not reserved.
2. It looks level enough that we won’t have to unhook
3. The restroom is right across the road

Worst sentences
1. Can you back between those trees?
2. Look at all those little bicycles next to us
3. It’s been a while since I saw a Grateful Dead decal on a Winnebago.

And finally, move on if it is:
“I hear banjos.”
Iowa Dave
Right on brother!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz;314
my takeaway is, she had no concept of tongue weight, a Tundra should /not/ be pulling a bigfoot over 17f (and that one looked like a 25 to me), and she didn't udnerstand brake controllers (which she admitted).

this june, i had my escape 21 come unhitched from my F250 (the hitchball came out of the tow bar, with a stripped shank), and start to sway violently. because A) my F250 is as solid as a locomotive, and B) I knew to grab the manual brake before slowing, I quickly brought in under control and pulled off the road. If we'd still been using a Tacoma, things could easily have gotten out of hand.
As I recall it took my brother-in-law and I with a 1" socket driver and cheater bar to properly set the ball on my Reese hitch. 1" or 1-1/4" Shank require 250 ftlb and 450 ftlb. I think we were doing a 1-1/4" shank. Didn't have torque wrench but put everything we had into it.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
And finally, move on if it is:
“I hear banjos.”
Iowa Dave
unless its...

Old 11-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I really thought her last big mistake was going to be poor load distribution.

The reason I don't like driving in MO after dark with or without the trailer is there are way too many deer crossing the roads. I must have seen at least ten dead deer on a 220-mile trip yesterday.

This is one reason why I don't drive my tow vehicle much between trips. I broke my rule once and a deer ran into the side of my tow vehicle and fortunately after bending the fender so the door would open it was drivable for two trailer trips before they could schedule it to fix it.

And a young hipster chain restaurant waiter rear-ended my minivan three days ago not paying attention in rush hour. No damage to mine, plenty to his, but I'm glad it wasn't my tow vehicle.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
As I recall it took my brother-in-law and I with a 1" socket driver and cheater bar to properly set the ball on my Reese hitch. 1" or 1-1/4" Shank require 250 ftlb and 450 ftlb. I think we were doing a 1-1/4" shank. Didn't have torque wrench but put everything we had into it.
yeah, I used a extra long 1/2" drive breaker bar, with a 6-point impact socket, put it in the truck receiver rotated 90 degrees and bounced all my weight (220 lbs) on it, I think that got it tight enough

a 1-1/4" shank would require a 1" drive air impact wrench to get tight enough, I suspect.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Pennsylvania ranks #3 behind West Virginia and Montana for deer collisions. From August thru November during their mating season is when there is a propensity for them to be active and thus on the roads.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
I really thought her last big mistake was going to be poor load distribution.

The reason I don't like driving in MO after dark with or without the trailer is there are way too many deer crossing the roads. I must have seen at least ten dead deer on a 220-mile trip yesterday.

This is one reason why I don't drive my tow vehicle much between trips. I broke my rule once and a deer ran into the side of my tow vehicle and fortunately after bending the fender so the door would open it was drivable for two trailer trips before they could schedule it to fix it.

And a young hipster chain restaurant waiter rear-ended my minivan three days ago not paying attention in rush hour. No damage to mine, plenty to his, but I'm glad it wasn't my tow vehicle.
Another reason for not driving in the dark . Have had many close calls , but so far not collided . And have seen more dead deer that I have lost count . Pat
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #74

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Pennsylvania ranks #3 behind West Virginia and Montana for deer collisions. From August thru November during their mating season is when there is a propensity for them to be active and thus on the roads.
30 years ago we used to see what felt like dozens between Scranton and Harrisburg, not nearly that many these days.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #75

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I just hate driving at night this time of year because of the deer. Iowa is in the top 5 or 10 for
Deer / car collisions nationwide. My son in law and his family hit one last Sunday night $ 8,700 damage. Air dam, bumper, grill, hood, entire headlight assy, front fender, both doors on driver side. Subaru actually held up pretty well considering the speed and angle. Nobody hurt and as I always say, it’s only sheet metal and you can fix it with money. Does put a crimp in the flow of life though.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #76

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
1" or 1-1/4" Shank require 250 ftlb and 450 ftlb.
Quote:
yeah, I used a extra long 1/2" drive breaker bar, with a 6-point impact socket, put it in the truck receiver rotated 90 degrees and bounced all my weight (220 lbs) on it, I think that got it tight enough

a 1-1/4" shank would require a 1" drive air impact wrench to get tight enough, I suspect.
I have a 3/4" drive breaker bar which is at least 30" long, so my weight near the end of it (no bouncing) might be just about right for 450 lb-ft of torque. Even a 1/2" drive cordless impact will easily go past 450 lb-ft, so I would be cautious about using an impact to tighten any fastener without an appropriate torque-limiting bar.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #77

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: elongest... THANKS for posting this. It's good to know how to... from others mistakes. I have had to correct my 5.0TA's attitude once by using the trailer brakes only!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Yeah, correct me if I’m wrong, but when she said know how to use trailer brakes, isn’t the most important tip one she didn’t explicitly mention? As soon as you can, when a fishtail starts, drop your left hand to the trailer brake controller and apply trailer brakes only. Once fishtail resolves, start applying tug’s brakes.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #78

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
I just hate driving at night this time of year because of the deer. Iowa is in the top 5 or 10 for
Deer / car collisions nationwide. My son in law and his family hit one last Sunday night $ 8,700 damage. Air dam, bumper, grill, hood, entire headlight assy, front fender, both doors on driver side. Subaru actually held up pretty well considering the speed and angle. Nobody hurt and as I always say, it’s only sheet metal and you can fix it with money. Does put a crimp in the flow of life though.
Super true in California. Deer at dusk. See one, safely brakes to a crawl as the rest of the herd is coming, too!
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #79

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
As soon as you can, when a fishtail starts, drop your left hand to the trailer brake controller and apply trailer brakes only. Once fishtail resolves, start applying tug’s brakes.
It's only the left hand if you controller is on the left - controllers are in various locations, and being familiar with yours is important, especially if your trailer is unstable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #80

Trailer: Na
You don't think a first Gen tundra is capable of towing that 21ft safely?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
First impression “ Too much trailer— Not enough truck “
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote