Bike Rack for 4 Bikes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
With the 1Up you need to be careful with how you orient the bikes. I have to lower the seat on one bike and bungee cord the cranks to keep them from rotating into the other bike or the spare tire. Other than that, I love the 1Up. If I used lighter bikes, might consider going with more than two bikes. I always front load our 21' to avoid light tongue weight. I always crank the wheel "holder downer" pretty tight to keep the wheels in the tray.
While I too adjust seat heights to accommodate the two bikes, I have had to do that on other racks too. I have never had issue with the cranks rotating and causing trouble though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
An additional thought. The results on a bike rack may depend on your tow setup as well. We get very little porpoising with our Silverado and Reese hitch with integral friction sway control. Other rigs may bounce a bit more. Just something else to consider.
Yes, the added weight of the bikes on the back would only amplify this porpoising action. For the most part I am not bothered by a bit of it, chalking it up to a towing nuance, but if it gets too bad it can be dangerous too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why not put two on the vehicle roof when needed?
After reading all the great comments I think that will be my only option.

The 4Runner is almost 6'-4" to the roof racks so adding roof carriers and bikes with sure increase the frontal area. Not to mention they won't be much fun to load.

More likely I will buy some sort of 2+2 tray carrier for the truck and only use half on the trailer.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
You can take it with a grain of salt, but the 100 lb limit ( I thought it was 150 though), is an arbitrary safe number, and not one that was arrived at from an engineered point of view. It covers Escape's butt from people who put ridiculous weights back there.

I know with our 19, I used a two bike rack on the back before I started using a WDH with the Honda Pilot, and boy did it make a HUGE difference with lack of stability. I pulled the front wheels and stowed the bikes in the back for most of the trip. This instability will affect any trailer to some degree, though the effects may be lessened by a strong tow vehicle and a WDH. This effect will only be compounded by sticking weight even further out with a 4 bike rack. No matter what you mount on the rear, make certain you have an adequate hitch weight.

Personally, I don't think I would ever put a 4 bike rack on the back of an Escape. Possibly the 5.0TA, but even then you are best to keep the weight tucked in close to the trailer.
I recall Tammy saying ours was rated to 300lbs when it was originally built in 2008. They don't give it that rating nowadays. I suspect having a single battery partially made that possible.

Great feedback on the potential instability. I had some thoughts about that and a majority of the comments have confirmed those concerns. The rear projection of a 4 bike rack is quite significant!

We are going to add the solar and dual 6V batteries soon and that will shift the center of gravity back further.

msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post

The 4Runner is almost 6'-4" to the roof racks so adding roof carriers and bikes with sure increase the frontal area. Not to mention they won't be much fun to load.

More likely I will buy some sort of 2+2 tray carrier for the truck and only use half on the trailer.

This is a good approach and similiar to what we've done on occasion since last summer (adult bikes on the roof, kids bike on the 1up).

With our 4Runner (2009 V6) I found no noticeable decrease in towing gas mileage with bikes on the roof. Perhaps a slight increase in wind noise, but not bad. Loading also isn't terrible if you have running boards and fork-mount trays for the bikes.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Just out of curiosity has anyone thought about or used a front receiver on tow vehicle for a bike rack? Very popular with truck campers because bikes on the rear block access into camper. Pros I see are very easy to load, puts weight where we need it and bikes are already on vehicle if trailer is parked and trailhead is offsite. Cons are bikes will catch many bugs (and covers could block airflow to radiator and headlights) and some possible obstruction of view on vehicles with lower front profiles. I ask because we have the Stowaway box on rear of trailer so no rack possible there and may have canoes on the roof of truck. With boats up top currently no way to carry bikes unless they are secured in the trailer. Thoughts?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:

The roof of my FJ is probably about the same height off of the ground (or even higher) than your 4Runner. I use the factory roof rack to carry up to three bikes. Works quite well, however, it does take a few minutes longer to load and unload as compared to a rack on the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike-Bra.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #27

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Bike Rack for 4 Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just out of curiosity has anyone thought about or used a front receiver on tow vehicle for a bike rack? Very popular with truck campers because bikes on the rear block access into camper. Pros I see are very easy to load, puts weight where we need it and bikes are already on vehicle if trailer is parked and trailhead is offsite. Cons are bikes will catch many bugs (and covers could block airflow to radiator and headlights) and some possible obstruction of view on vehicles with lower front profiles.

Dave,

I love my front receiver. I bought a Curt front hitch online designed specifically for my truck. It took me several hours to install (the online videos didn't work for me). It had a 500# load limit and my 1UpUSA rack fits on it without an extender. And it doesn't pose any problem with visibility.

Rich

ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I love my front receiver. I bought a Curt front hitch online designed specifically for my truck. It took me several hours to install (the online videos didn't work for me). It had a 500# load limit and my 1UpUSA rack fits on it without an extender. And it doesn't pose any problem with visibility.
Rich, Thanks! Was just looking at Curt and there is one that is made to specifically fit the 4Runner. Your installation looks perfect. I would be looking to use a Thule tray type that I'm inheriting from a friend that holds 2 bikes. A trick I read online that you may benefit from is removing the seat to gain a little better view, but I do realize when driving you are looking out over the bike so may be a non-issue.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
I have a Kuat NV bike rack. They come in two bike and four bike versions. One thing I like about the NV is that it has a built in bike repair stand. I tend to acquire bicycles during my travels, so need to strip them down to fit in the truck, or even ship them home.

All that being said, usually my bikes are inside the back of the pickup truck (I have a truck cap), more secure and out of the weather.

Mounting a rack on front of the truck is intriguing, I've seen it before. Its a pretty good option.

Don't underestimate the weight of your bikes and rack. The two bike Kuat weighs in at 45 pounds, a lot of bikes weigh over 30 pounds, so you can quickly get past 100 pounds total weight, just for two bikes.

Roof racks are a good option, just remember they are up there. A lot of people have destroyed their bikes pulling into their garage or whatever. Easy, easy to forget.

One rack I avoid is what I call a "dangler". These are where the bike's top tube is placed in the rack, and the bikes dangle. I am into vintage bikes, and you can do a lot of damage to a bike as it bangs into the bike next to it mile after mile.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscarab View Post
I use a Yakima 2" receiver rack. It holds 4 bikes but they hang by the top bar. Would maybe prefer the type the tires sit in, but I've had it forever and its built like a tank! Full 2" all the way, swivels down (I don't use that feature), and built in receiver lock and bike cable locks that stores in the frame - matching keys. I love it!
Hi,
What particular Yakima model do you have? Is it this one?
https://smile.amazon.com/Yakima-Ridg...491459011&th=1
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #31

We went thru many bike racks ( we have 6 bikes !) before landing on the 1-up rack. We had that giant Yakima 4-bike rack where the bikes sit on their tires...it's just too dang heavy to deal with. You'll blow a gut trying to mount and remove it...I would skip it. I ended up giving it away to a friend after having over $800 in it.

Having said that, the 1-up bike racks are the way to go. The engineering on them is excellent, and they are much lighter and seem even stronger. You do get what you pay for, and they seem the best to me ( so far) . ( No I don't have stock in them...)

We got the 2-bike heavy duty version, which can be turned into a 4-bike rack with an additional appliance. All in all, their product is a beautiful thing.

Added: I must add that we usually put the 1-up rack on the front hitch of our F150 where we can see the bikes easily. It's not ideal, but I also had a loose ( Yakima) arm and nearly lost a bike on the back. Another case of being flagged down by a nice driver just in time. I might try it on the back of our 21 when we get it...another reason to order that camera so we can keep an eye on them hopefully.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
Sometimes my life serves as a warning to others who follow ... I'll outline my experience, so others can plan their own unique disasters!

I purchased a Kuat 2-bike rack to fit in the 2" receiver in the back of our 19' Escape. There wasn't enough room to get the rack mounted with the spare tire in place, so we got a short hitch extender. Don't do this. Read below.

We did a couple extensive trips with this, including wonderful BLM roads where we were glad to have 4x4 and high lift on the trailer.

Upon our return from our last trip, we were waved down by another driver who told us that our bikes were dragging on the road. The rack had failed - the pin that allows the rack to be folded down had 'popped out'. Note - this pin comes with a clamp to keep it in place, and that was not enough. The weld connecting the horizontal tube to the pivot point had cracked, and was close to failure itself.

The 'lower' bike was fine - fortunately I had gotten waved down just after the rack had failed. My left pedal is 3/4" narrower, and my left handlebar and the left side of my rack are a bit shorter. Other bikes are jealous of its scars.

So, what did I learn?
- The manual warns against putting their bike rack at the back of an RV, and against using a hitch extender. Manual, schmanual?
- The natural bouncing of the trailer is amplified for the poor bikes hanging at the back of the trailer. We have a stabilizer, so porpoising is minimal. But a look in the back-up camera shows that the bikes have a rough ride.
-The Kuat mount has a nice mechanism to 'tighten' the carrier into the 2" receiver (a knob that presses a SS ball against the inside the receiver). This reduces the 'flex' at the hitch, and reduces the bouncing. All this is lost when you put in an extender.
- "Dangle" bike racks are hard on hydraulic brake lines.

I'm not sure what our next option will be. I like the 1UP style, but for now we have room in the pick-up bed. I won't use a hitch extender.

Oh, and if you're tempted to leave a sanctimonious "you should have known better" post, please don't. We all learn in our own way, and it's better that I give my brush with bike-grinding (for collective wisdom) than not.

cheers,
Stephen
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Having said that, the 1-up bike racks are the way to go. The engineering on them is excellent, and they are much lighter and seem even stronger. You do get what you pay for, and they seem the best to me ( so far) . ( No I don't have stock in them...)

We got the 2-bike heavy duty version, which can be turned into a 4-bike rack with an additional appliance. All in all, their product is a beautiful thing.
I agree with this assessment, having used a 1UP for four camping seasons now. One thing to consider is that they only will recommend the 2 bike version, and not installing any more add-on racks.

I am considering building a rear cargo box for my 5.0TA, and will have rear door access on it. If I do, I will buy two 1UP Roof Rack mounts, and flush mount them on the top of the box. If I do this, I will likely have a used 2 bike heavy duty bike rack for sale.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlandFlyFisher View Post

Oh, and if you're tempted to leave a sanctimonious "you should have known better" post, please don't. We all learn in our own way, and it's better that I give my brush with bike-grinding (for collective wisdom) than not.

cheers,
Stephen
Ooooh, I wouldn't do that. I prefer to think "Lessons Learned" and I just learned from someone else's Lesson.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #35

Quote:
I'm not sure what our next option will be. I like the 1UP style, but for now we have room in the pick-up bed. I won't use a hitch extender.
As mentioned above, my 1UP might be for sale soon, and if you plan to be around Calgary at all.......
Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #36

Quote:
As mentioned above, my 1UP might be for sale soon, and if you plan to be around Calgary at all.......
ACTUALLY, we may be through Calgary the week of Nov. 13. Have not made any firm plans yet.

Does it fit on the trailer with the spare tire in place, with out a hitch extender?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #37

Quote:
ACTUALLY, we may be through Calgary the week of Nov. 13. Have not made any firm plans yet.

Does it fit on the trailer with the spare tire in place, with out a hitch extender?
And by then I will have firmed my plans for a cargo box and what I will be doing with the 1UP.

It will fit on the trailer without a hitch extender.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #38

Quote:
And by then I will have firmed my plans for a cargo box and what I will be doing with the 1UP.

It will fit on the trailer without a hitch extender.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ooooh, I wouldn't do that. I prefer to think "Lessons Learned" and I just learned from someone else's Lesson.
Donna it took me two events to learn my lesson. First off our step goes into a receiver under the door and we store it in the bike rack receiver on trailer when traveling. Well one morning I didn't put it in far enough so the pin was behind instead of through, and luckily saw it bouncing down the road behind us and quickly ran back and picked it up while waving at traffic to hopefully avoid hitting it!

You'd think I would have learned, but no, first time I tried using the bike rack was a short trip with my grandson's taking them camping. We'd just hit highway speed outside of our town when one grandson happened to look out the window and said "Grandad our bikes fell off." Well I had done the same thing

Both bikes were ruined, my son and I went halves on buying two new bikes for them. Now I check the step by pulling on it everytime I put the pin in even if step looks to be well in and I gave the bike rack to my son to put on his new camper.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I love my 1UP rack. But note that it is the heavy duty version and I never carry more than 2 bikes. I have had no issues with sway, porpoising or rubbing between bikes. I do ensure that the seats, etc are adjusted so there is good clearance between bikes.
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote