Bike Rack for 4 Bikes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Bike Rack for 4 Bikes

Hope everyone has had great winter! We have had lots of snow here this year and it is still going today! Almost seems a bit too early to start thinking about the summer camping season with this weather!

We are looking to purchase a bike rack that we can use on our 4Runner or on the receiver on the back of the 17. We are looking toward the future and carrying 4 full size bikes including the kids. I have read the forums here extensively and general consensus seems to be that the 1UPUSA bike rack is one of the best. I contacted 1UPUSA a while back and they said that their racks were only suitable to carry 2 bikes not 4 on back of trailers. However, I noticed a photo in one thread where someone was using a 1UPUSA rack with 4 bikes: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post161792

Has anyone else tried this and had success or failure? Has anyone found any other models that are suitable for carrying 4 bike on the back of trailers?

Thanks!
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
That picture was most likely our bikes. I can't say if there will be any long term issues, but in the short term, it seems to be working fine. I have thought about adding reinforcing bars to help spread the weight, if needed.

Of course, we have the 5.0TA so it may handle differently with a different trailer, but I couldn't tell that they were back there. Well maybe a smidgeon. I stopped several times along the way and each time the rack was tight and the bikes were tight on the rack as well. That's how I determined it is working well. Completely scientific!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 15A
North Shore Bike Racks

The North Shore Rack looks like a good solution to 4 bikes on the back of a trailer. With the vertical configuration of the rack the centre of gravity of the bikes is likely kept closer to the receiver/trailer reducing the moment force. You should make sure of the total mass of all bikes plus the rack and the distance it protrudes beyond the receiver to ensure it does not exceed the specified capacity of the receiver.
Bonus, you almost live next door to the factory.

I have no experience with this rack but have seen a lot of them on the road especially up to Whistler.
If I were in the market for a 4 bike rack I would give this serious consideration.
I do have the 1UP USA for two bikes and really like it.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Why not put two on the vehicle roof when needed?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
We just picked up our 21 a couple of weeks ago and we were told no more then 100 pounds on the bike ready. 4 bikes plus rack probably pushing it.
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
The North Shore Rack looks like a good solution to 4 bikes on the back of a trailer.
It should be noted that these racks are designed specifically for mountain bikes and can also carry kids bikes. It is not designed for road bikes. While they look heavy duty and are designed for off road use there is no mention on their site on the suitability for use on a trailer. They may work just fine, but the closest I saw was a customer photo and a testimonial indicating use of the original Classic 4 Bike (now replaced by the NSR 4-bike) on the back of a motorhome. Bear in mind too that the NSR-4 rack itself weighs 52lbs.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 15A
ETI has reinforced some bike rack receivers in the past. Could always ask if that option is still available. One owner carries a small motorized trail bike on his reinforced receiver.
As rubicon noted, the NSR4 itself is on the heavy side plus 4 bikes. That is a lot of mass bouncing around on the back of the trailer.

Nice bike rack option though.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by crnelson View Post
We just picked up our 21 a couple of weeks ago and we were told no more then 100 pounds on the bike ready. 4 bikes plus rack probably pushing it.
Yeah but that doesn't deter people. It doesn't matter that ETI says 100 lb max or that the rack manufacturer says no use on trailers or more than two bike maximum for a rack OK for trailers. Could possibly be an ODD diagnosis.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #9

You can take it with a grain of salt, but the 100 lb limit ( I thought it was 150 though), is an arbitrary safe number, and not one that was arrived at from an engineered point of view. It covers Escape's butt from people who put ridiculous weights back there.

I know with our 19, I used a two bike rack on the back before I started using a WDH with the Honda Pilot, and boy did it make a HUGE difference with lack of stability. I pulled the front wheels and stowed the bikes in the back for most of the trip. This instability will affect any trailer to some degree, though the effects may be lessened by a strong tow vehicle and a WDH. This effect will only be compounded by sticking weight even further out with a 4 bike rack. No matter what you mount on the rear, make certain you have an adequate hitch weight.

Personally, I don't think I would ever put a 4 bike rack on the back of an Escape. Possibly the 5.0TA, but even then you are best to keep the weight tucked in close to the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
I carried three bikes on our 1Up on the back of our 19 last summer with generally poor results. No way would I try to carry four bikes.

If I am remembering my math correctly, our three bikes (two adult MTBs and one kids bike) plus the rack itself was pushing the 150 lb. limit of the hitch. (Our trailer has a "150 lb. max hitch weight" sticker right on the bumper.) I don't have the numbers in front of me now, but I think a 1Up set up for four bikes will be close to 85-90 lbs for the rack alone.

As I've written about in another thread, our "poor results" included lots of contact between the bikes, loosening of the rack in the receiver, a front wheel slipping loose off the 1Up tray, and even contact between the bikes and the rear wall of the trailer. In other words, tons of bounce and movement back there. Some of these symptoms even occurred with only two bikes loaded on the three-bike rack setup.

I totally get the lovefest for 1Up, as I used ours on SUVs for several years before buying our Escape. While ours has been completely bombproof and awesome on the back of the SUV in all configurations and weights, using it on the back of the trailer requires much more caution. I would strongly suggest you stick to 1Up's two-bike recommendation.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #11

Well said Canyonrider! We have carried two bikes on our 1UP for over 20,000 miles across a lot of terrain with no problems. For those who need more there is always a safer alternative.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Well said Canyonrider! We have carried two bikes on our 1UP for over 20,000 miles across a lot of terrain with no problems. For those who need more there is always a safer alternative.
Was that 20,000 miles (and two bikes) with the 1UP on the back of your Escape trailer?
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Was that 20,000 miles (and two bikes) with the 1UP on the back of your Escape trailer?
Yep; best bike rack ever!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Also, did you have problems with the bikes rubbing each other, or with the bikes rubbing the trailer or the spare tire? Did you use an extender to move the bikes further away from the trailer?
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 2023 21
Quote:
I just got my 1up yesterday, and it's very impressive.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
I use a Yakima 2" receiver rack. It holds 4 bikes but they hang by the top bar. Would maybe prefer the type the tires sit in, but I've had it forever and its built like a tank! Full 2" all the way, swivels down (I don't use that feature), and built in receiver lock and bike cable locks that stores in the frame - matching keys. I love it!
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Also, did you have problems with the bikes rubbing each other, or with the bikes rubbing the trailer or the spare tire? Did you use an extender to move the bikes further away from the trailer?
I bought my 1UP 3 years ago now, and have never once had an issue with bikes rubbing at all. This thing is solid.

I just looked back, remembering a one off post from a member, who has never posted since, suggested the 1UP rack. Almost seemed like spam, but I did a search instead of following the link, was immediately impressed with what I saw, did some research and found that guys with good bikes all loved it. If that "flew" guy never showed up and posted his one post about it, and I never looked into it, who knows, as almost nobody had heard about them before. Now, they seem to be the Escape standard, albeit a befitting one. Funny how things work, eh?

This is that post.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...html#post47055

The thread was actually started by Ross, looking for a better option that a Thule Helium Aero he bought. Seems he found it.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For bike fanatics....https://www.montaguebikes.com/produc...lti-use-bikes/
Old 03-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
With the 1Up you need to be careful with how you orient the bikes. I have to lower the seat on one bike and bungee cord the cranks to keep them from rotating into the other bike or the spare tire. Other than that, I love the 1Up. If I used lighter bikes, might consider going with more than two bikes. I always front load our 21' to avoid light tongue weight. I always crank the wheel "holder downer" pretty tight to keep the wheels in the tray.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
An additional thought. The results on a bike rack may depend on your tow setup as well. We get very little porpoising with our Silverado and Reese hitch with integral friction sway control. Other rigs may bounce a bit more. Just something else to consider.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote