Bike Rack Recommendation? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2023, 02:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 2022 E19
You'll get lots of recommendations for 1-up and I certainly love mine - but they are pricey.
At least you don't need to pay shipping to Canada!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:54 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
You'll get lots of recommendations for 1-up and I certainly love mine - but they are pricey.
At least you don't need to pay shipping to Canada!
Ditto. I love our 1-UP. It is set for 2 bikes. It is pricey but in my opinion well worth it. As someone once said, paying the price initially hurts but after a couple of weeks or months you simply enjoy a really good bike rack and have forgotten the price
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #43

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Ditto. I love our 1-UP. It is set for 2 bikes. It is pricey but in my opinion well worth it. As someone once said, paying the price initially hurts but after a couple of weeks or months you simply enjoy a really good bike rack and have forgotten the price
Totally agree! Our 1-up stays on the back of the trailer, it’s a wonderful addition.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Totally agree! Our 1-up stays on the back of the trailer, it’s a wonderful addition.
We move our bike rack from the trailer to the back of the truck and when not in use store in the garage. The Rack Stash we have found to be really handy for storing the rack when not in use. We also ordered the EZPull which makes it very easy to raise and lower the rack. Couple other add ons we found useful is the Hitch Bar Stop, wheel locks (have 4 of these, two for each bike) and then an Add-On Lock which gives the rack itself a bit more security.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:24 PM   #45

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
We move our bike rack from the trailer to the back of the truck and when not in use store in the garage. The Rack Stash we have found to be really handy for storing the rack when not in use. We also ordered the EZPull which makes it very easy to raise and lower the rack. Couple other add ons we found useful is the Hitch Bar Stop, wheel locks (have 4 of these, two for each bike) and then an Add-On Lock which gives the rack itself a bit more security.
Yeah, we discovered our original lock that came with the 1-up was MIA on our cross country trip last year. I’m glad we didn’t lose the rack! We got a new lock from Walmart and it’s worked out much better. We can ‘lock’ the rack a couple inches out from all the way in, and it keeps the bikes far enough away from the back window.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:31 PM   #46

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Another vote for the 1up! Yes it's expensive but when you see the quality it's worth it. You'd never have to replace it like you will most bike racks.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:33 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
We have a Kuat that holds two bikes. Very well built, reclines easily if we are using it on our Expedition and need to access the rear liftgate. On the Escape, we use a couple of bungies to hold the bikes a little closer together; seems to keep the handle bars of the near one from hitting the glass; spare tire helps, too. Here are the bikes (believe it or not, the trailer is actually level; site sloped down terribly):
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3369_sm.jpg  
Old 05-14-2023, 05:18 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
As a follow-up to my somewhat critical words, some might say tirade, regarding 1Up (Post #31), I will still say my 1Up is the best bike rack I have owned. As to their refusal to sell me a replacement wrench, that issue has been resolved. After conversations with 1Up customer service, I was told after having my original receipt emailed to them that they had checked with their IT folks and my order number was linked to my account. So I tried again and was again told by “the system” the wrench was restricted to people who had purchased their rack directly from the company. On the next call to customer service, I was again told that IT had again confirmed I was in the system as a direct purchase customer. At that point I told customer service that perhaps one of the IT folks should log in using my credentials and try to put a “restricted” item in my cart, said a few choice words, and hung up. They never called air texted me to admit to their mistake, but two hours later I logged in again and miraculously found I could put anything I wanted in the cart.
While I was really ticked off about the whole ordeal, I cannot fault the quality of the rack. Because it secures the bike by clamping on the tires, it can transport bikes without any contact on painted surfaces.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:06 PM   #49

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I'm searching for a bike rack that doesn't cost more than my mountain bike and one that is rated for RV travel. Plus, one that will not let the handlebar shatter our rear window.

We will need a two bike setup and one that will carry a drop bar cruiser bike for Miss Nancy.

The Kuat Transfer V2 looks like an option but It appears window to handlebar clearance might be a concern.

There appears to be some great options out there but at unreasonably high price points.
We have that 1Up rack as well. It is the two bike one, can carry only one e-bike though, closest to trailer. Up to now, we've used it only for regular bikes. One has a pannier rack that had to be removed for the 1Up to work, and if your bike has fenders, you'd probably have to remove them also, as the 1Up sort of clamps against the tires, thinking your cruiser bike might have those? We removed the spare tire from our 21C and carry it under the bed, and also rotate the handlebars of the bike nearest the trailer. Of course you need to carry the correct wrench to put them back!
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:46 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I found a Swagman on Craigslist under free.
They had lost the keys to the locks so it cost the price of a few new locks. Seams well made, very adjustable and holds two bikes.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:34 PM   #51

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
as a new camper, I had no preconceived notions on a bike rack...As a cheap SOB was horrified at the cost of a 1Up bike rack.... I was expecting to pay 200-300 or so.... But as also a cheap SOB, I only want to buy it once... Soooo, it killed me to pay the money for the 1Up. Once it arrived, I saw the value in the quality construction and am sooo glad I bit the bullet..
Old 05-14-2023, 07:11 PM   #52

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
The 1Up looks like a great design and the judging by the videos I've seen the quality looks pretty good.

But $650 is too high. Even the cheaper versions are still $400+. Maybe I can find a less costly alternative to stay fit while camping.

$650 - $400 is a lot of money for most regular folks.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:19 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
The 1Up looks like a great design and the judging by the videos I've seen the quality looks pretty good.

But $650 is too high. Even the cheaper versions are still $400+. Maybe I can find a less costly alternative to stay fit while camping.

$650 - $400 is a lot of money for most regular folks.
Almost sounds like the same conversation people have when comparing an Escape trailer with a Scamp trailer. Both are trailers, both get you away from home. But.....

My first bike rack was a Thule. Used it on the back of my P/U and then on the back of my Scamp.... lastly on the back of Ten Forward. In the end, it beat the 'EL out of my bike and I bought a 1UP! Shudda done that FIRST and saved $150 (or so) I spent on the Thule and my bike would also be in much better shape.

Every choice has consequences. Choose wisely.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:33 PM   #54

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Willy, We like the Swagman 3 that I posted photos of in #7 of this thread. You would need a crossbar for the cruiser but you should be able to get that and the rack for about $200. It's also much simpler and compact compared to the other racks. Good Luck!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 03:31 AM   #55

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have a swagman the one up was too pricey my swagman works fine but it willl rub and leave a mark on your bike I wrapped mine to protect it but I’m not a big bike person so a scratch wasn’t a big deal to me
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:06 AM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
In perusing this thread, I see a lot of comments about the high cost of a 1Up bike rack. And yes, $600 is a lot of money. In July, I will be spending 2 weeks (as part of a 3-month excursion) at Riverside Campground in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Many will recognize that this is the location where one of our forum members hosts the Niagara Wine Escape in September. The cost of the campsite for this 2-week stay is $800, or $400 per week. Is that a lot of money? Well, that depends on whether it is worth it to the person who is spending it. I ride a bicycle, for fitness, almost every day weather permits. Living in Florida, I ride all “winter” long, typically 12.5 to 13 miles daily if it is not raining. The rural road I live on provides 435-feet of elevation gain. For Florida, that is “hilly.” Since the beginning of September 2022, I have logged over 2,500 miles on my bicycle. Sometimes I will ride recreationally on a nearby rail trail with my spouse, requiring the bikes to be transported on a rack. So upon arriving home after a trip with the Escape, my 1Up comes off the trailer and goes on the car. If I have a flat tire (somewhat rare) on my fitness rides, I call home and my spouse will retrieve me. I would rather make any repair necessary in the garage than on the side of the road. Again, the rack is used. But my point is, when I return home from my upcoming 3-month trip, I will have spent well over $1,000 on fuel and well over $2,000 for camping fees, not to mention food and other fees. I will have “Escaped” some of Florida’s heat/humidity and made some memories, many fleeting, but I will still have and enjoy my 1Up bicycle rack, built well enough that I will never have to replace it. That means, “I paid you now so I don’t have to pay you later.” Perhaps that is not an applicable adage, but I can say truthfully that in regards to the 1Up rack, “You get what you pay for.” Buy cheaply, you may get shoddy; spend more and you likely get higher quality. Was the $600 purchase price a lot of money? Yes, but it was not as much as I spent on three other bike racks over the years now discarded (sold at a greatly reduced price or given away). So the $600 (see comment above) was worth it to me, but YMMV. Probably doesn’t matter if you are transporting a couple of Walmart or yard sale bikes.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:03 AM   #57

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
Willy, We like the Swagman 3 that I posted photos of in #7 of this thread. You would need a crossbar for the cruiser but you should be able to get that and the rack for about $200. It's also much simpler and compact compared to the other racks. Good Luck!
I've been considering that one. How tight to you have to tighten the clamp to keep it secure? My grip is not that strong when my arthritis is flaring up.

Also, to Donna's comment. I cracked up laughing reading it. I swore I would never spend $40K+ for a camper. Never say never!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:57 AM   #58

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Willy, Yes you want to make sure it's tight. I haven't noticed that it's too difficult though, the nut is about 2" in diameter and has good teeth around the edge for gripping. I've also found that I only need to use 1 nut because we just have 2 bikes, I'd only use the 2nd nut if we had 3 bikes or if I wanted to leave the middle position open.
The rack does the job for our mountain bikes which both have the top bar. It's RV rated, very simple, nice and compact which makes it easy to remove/install & store if you need to, and in our case since it's so compact we can leave it on the trailer when we store the trailer in the garage. Good luck in finding the rack that best fits your needs and have a good anniversary trip to Colorado!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 11:20 AM   #59

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I agree depends on your passion my bikes are not my passion my horses dogs are also I spend a lot on cooking equipment so I can completely understand buying the one up if you have expensive bikes
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:50 PM   #60

On our 2 man 1-Up we have no problem fitting 2 bikes on including my Trek 520 Touring bike which comes with panier racks front and back as well as plastic fenders. Don’t have to remove either the panier racks or the fenders. 1-Up provides mini foam tubes to fit over the fenders were it gets clamped in. Works really well. If you had metal fenders not sure how it would work as I haven’t tried that