Bike Rack Recommendation? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2023, 03:23 PM   #61

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I think the Swagman 3 is out because of the wide triangular shape of my Trek Roscoe 6 top bar. Swagman says not use if you have this shape top bar.

The Kuat Transfer V2 looks to be a mid price option at $450. It's RV rated.

Too many decisions too little time to worry.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:36 AM   #62

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
We are looking to upgrade our old Yakima rack. 1Up seems to be very popular but the $900 to $1,000 price has me looking for alternatives. The Swagman TRAVELER XC2 for $250 looks bare bones but might work. Also considering the Kuat Transfer V2 for $410. Both are RV rated. I have old fashion bikes (no electric). Thanks!
The 1-up is incredibly well built. Use it for an electric bike and a mountain bike together. Hands down it’s the 1 up for us.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:36 AM   #63

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I'm a cheap SOB... And I hate wasting money on stupid stuff.... When I first started researching bike racks, I was horrified about the price of the often recommended 1UP racks. But because I'm cheap, I only want to buy a product once....It hurt, but its a quality piece of gear and I'm a very satisfied customer. I'm not a hardcore bike rider like C&G in Fl but bought the rack for the same reasons
Old 08-08-2023, 05:18 PM   #64

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Has anyone tried using some sort of bike rack that goes on the tongue of the trailer? I need to be able to transport 4 bikes and almost all of the tray style racks are not RV rated after the add-on that allows for more bikes. I've used a really nice hanging style bike rack from yakima for some time but it is scratching the bikes up pretty bad and it's a real PIA to load bikes that don't have a straight top bar. Both reasons I'm looking into a tray style.
77FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:50 PM   #65

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
Has anyone tried using some sort of bike rack that goes on the tongue of the trailer? I need to be able to transport 4 bikes and almost all of the tray style racks are not RV rated after the add-on that allows for more bikes. I've used a really nice hanging style bike rack from yakima for some time but it is scratching the bikes up pretty bad and it's a real PIA to load bikes that don't have a straight top bar. Both reasons I'm looking into a tray style.
I don't have any personal experience but I have heard Arvika makes a good tray style bike rack for the fronts of trailers. They have a few models and do make a 4 tray model. I know Airstream and others use them

https://arvikabikerack.com/products/...44470343237932
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 08:06 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
The 1Up looks like a great design and the judging by the videos I've seen the quality looks pretty good.

But $650 is too high. Even the cheaper versions are still $400+. Maybe I can find a less costly alternative to stay fit while camping.

$650 - $400 is a lot of money for most regular folks.

Right! My bike is a $50 Restore Trek!
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:12 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Bike Rack

Maybe the hitch on the back of the trailer isn't the answer for some. Perhaps a vehicle roof mount would be a better choice. There would probably be less bouncing around up there. One might need a small step ladder to get the bikes up there? Just a thought towards alternate solutions.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:48 PM   #68

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Go-Aero-...102310810&th=1
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 11:13 PM   #69

Trailer: 21c
Can the 5th wheel handle e-bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
You can get the 1up double, silver for $635 w/free shipping...quite a bit lower than $900. That said, although I do have the 1up, I may not have spent that much if I didn't have electric fat tire bikes. Swagman does have a great reputation...
We have 2 e-bikes equaling 120lbs. Plus the rack that’s over the 150lb. limit rated for the hitch. I heard the hitch can’t be strengthened. Anyone tow e-bikes weighing this much?
Mommoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:03 AM   #70

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommoves View Post
We have 2 e-bikes equaling 120lbs. Plus the rack that’s over the 150lb. limit rated for the hitch. I heard the hitch can’t be strengthened. Anyone tow e-bikes weighing this much?
Mine handles 2 e-bikes just fine, but they don't weight that much...you'll want to make sure the batteries are removed first. Do yours really weight 60 lbs each without the batteries?
Old 08-09-2023, 09:06 AM   #71

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
Maybe the hitch on the back of the trailer isn't the answer for some. Perhaps a vehicle roof mount would be a better choice. There would probably be less bouncing around up there. One might need a small step ladder to get the bikes up there? Just a thought towards alternate solutions.
Gary
Yes that is also a good option that I've used in the past in my pre-5.0 days. We once had a small SUV towing a travel trailer around the country for several years with a rack on top of the tow vehicle. And yes it was very stable and secure up there, but the downside was getting them on and off. I was younger and a bit more nimble then, lol
Old 08-09-2023, 12:37 PM   #72

Trailer: 2018 None
My two cents....I'm an avid bicyclist and over the years have purchased 4 other bike racks. I made an exception on my newest bike rack and spent a lot more money and don't regret it. What I do regret is buying four other bike racks before this one. Ha HA! I have a QuikrStuff Mach II bike rack. It is well engineered by the same 1UP rack engineer. This is his newest creation. I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to shell out the bucks. I also got their optional bike locks and ramp. This rack is very easy to load and will not bounce around. The hitching and locking mechanisms are unique to this rack. Check out their website. https://quikrstuff.com My bicycle alone is $4,500 and I wouldn't trust transporting it with anything else.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote