Bike Rack Recommendation? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Bike Rack Recommendation?

We are looking to upgrade our old Yakima rack. 1Up seems to be very popular but the $900 to $1,000 price has me looking for alternatives. The Swagman TRAVELER XC2 for $250 looks bare bones but might work. Also considering the Kuat Transfer V2 for $410. Both are RV rated. I have old fashion bikes (no electric). Thanks!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
We are looking to upgrade our old Yakima rack. 1Up seems to be very popular but the $900 to $1,000 price has me looking for alternatives. The Swagman TRAVELER XC2 for $250 looks bare bones but might work. Also considering the Kuat Transfer V2 for $410. Both are RV rated. I have old fashion bikes (no electric). Thanks!
I have that Swagman for 2 bikes. Has worked fine for 15 years.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
You can get the 1up double, silver for $635 w/free shipping...quite a bit lower than $900. That said, although I do have the 1up, I may not have spent that much if I didn't have electric fat tire bikes. Swagman does have a great reputation...
Old 07-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a 1-up Super Duty single, with an add-on for a second bike (if I ever take someone with me that has a bike).

I have a 27 y/o $89 Huffy bike.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
After watching CL for a few months I found a Swagman Dispatch, almost new for $210. I try to be able to bid my time with such purchases.
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
We have the 1up heavy duty 2 bike rack in black. It was $655? It’s basically always on the trailer, I don’t regret being able have bikes with us every where we go.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Thanks all for your input on bike racks. We've gone with the Swagman Original 3 for our simple mountain bikes. If we had heavy electric bikes it may not work too well. As you can see from the photo, we store our Escape in our garage. A wide platform rack would have to be removed and stored before I garaged the trailer as the rack would hit the wall. With this simple, narrow, center mounted rack we can leave it mounted in the trailer hitch receiver. I am impressed with how strong the rack is made, it seems to be constructed of heavy steel and little plastic. There was another Forum post that expressed concern about the plastic cover in the middle of the vertical upright tube as a weak point, but the plastic is only a cover, the structural connection is all metal so I don't believe this is an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
swag2.jpg   swag1.jpg  
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I have a Swagman Dispatch we are no longer using. It’s just sitting in storage. I’ll let you have it for $100 if you cover the shipping. Will post photos shortly if you are interested.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I have a Swagman Dispatch we are no longer using. It’s just sitting in storage. I’ll let you have it for $100 if you cover the shipping. Will post photos shortly if you are interested.
Having trouble posting photos on an iPad with a slow connection. Email me at jstelly at gmail dot com if interested. John
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have a 1-up Super Duty single, with an add-on for a second bike (if I ever take someone with me that has a bike).

I have a 27 y/o $89 Huffy bike.
Sheesh, that's like serving a chicken gizzard on a genuine silver platter!
Old 08-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Sheesh, that's like serving a chicken gizzard on a genuine silver platter!
Yep. But I needed a new bike rack. The el cheapo wasn't cutting it. Figured I'd take one of my better bikes along, but so far I really like the Huffy the best! It's just a 'beach cruiser,' for tooting around the campground, etc. so a really good bike isn't needed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:37 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
We have a Kuat rack for two bikes. Haven't used it with the Escape yet. Advantage with our Expedition is that it folds down so you can open the lift gate.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Bike Rack

I bought a Yakima rack off Craigslist for cheap. It's a two-place platform-style rack, extremely easy to use. And, it's quite heavy. Keep an eye on CL and/or Facebook marketplace for a used rack. You can save lots of $$$'s.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:49 PM   #14
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Donna is fortunate; she likes her old bike. Us? Nope! Not our old clunkers. So we decided to get some folding bikes instead. https://zizzo.bike/products/zizzo-folding-bike-liberte Very nice bike. We got ours at Costco. They fold up nice and small and we carry them inside our tow vehicle. No bike rack needed. Rode these all over Alaska this summer. Lots of nice folding ebikes out there, too...but we did see several 'no ebikes allowed' signs on some of our bike trails. Just more food for thought for those looking for bicycle enjoyment management! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We use a Swagman Escapee for our two 55-60 lb E-bikes. Haven't been disappointed so far. Very rugged and well made and along with the bikes totals right about 150lbs which is the max for the rear receiver.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 17ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Swagman

Quote:
I have a swagman bike rack for sale if interested 100 buck . I’m in Ft Worth Texas
rdteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
A sort of related post. Has anyone found a good reliable cover for bikes on their rack? We have a Kuat rack on our E19 for 2 bikes and bought a Team Obsidian cover that was rated highly but it started ripping and pretty quickly was useless. Fortunately we got our money back. Most seem to be fairly large and buffet around.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
A sort of related post. Has anyone found a good reliable cover for bikes on their rack? We have a Kuat rack on our E19 for 2 bikes and bought a Team Obsidian cover that was rated highly but it started ripping and pretty quickly was useless. Fortunately we got our money back. Most seem to be fairly large and buffet around.
I gave up on covers long ago. The tradeoff is, I just accept that I need to clean and lube my bikes more often...
Old 08-18-2022, 09:06 AM   #19

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Me also. I did not like them hiding my tail lights either.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #20
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
Me also. I did not like them hiding my tail lights either.
The newer Escapes show the brake and turn indicators on the top row of lights in addition to the lower lights. They are very bright and visible to anyone following if the lower lights are blocked by bikes or bike covers. My 2018 has this but I am not sure when Escape started this feature.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote