Blackstone or campchef combos with quick connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2020, 12:41 AM   #1

Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Blackstone or campchef combos with quick connect

Hello there
Is anyone using a Blackstone combo bbq/ griddle or camp chef combo with their propane quick connect
Positive and negative feedback appreciated
Thanks in advance
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Hello there
Is anyone using a Blackstone combo bbq/ griddle or camp chef combo with their propane quick connect
Thanks in advance
I have a Blackstone and a Outland Firebowl that I converted for use with either the trailer propane quick connect or 20 lb tank.

Here's a link to that post: quick propane / grill question
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I use a Blackstone but not with the quick connect. I carry little propane one gallon pigs for stoves.

I have the quick connect, but I do not like the thought of connecting a stove up to the trailer. I would if I had to, but I don't have to, so I carry a couple of propane pigs with me at all times. This way you can set up anywhere.

One thing I do not like about the Blackstone is; it does not take a cross wind very well. It interferes with the heat transfer. Sometimes I open the trailer door to block the wind. No biggie! Everybody loves it.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I have the quick connect, but I do not like the thought of connecting a stove up to the trailer. I would if I had to, but I don't have to, so I carry a couple of propane pigs with me at all times. This way you can set up anywhere.
Did you remove the stove inside, which is connected to the trailer?

No idea what a propane pig is. Is it a fancy looking container?

I can set up any of my three appliances that connect to the LP QC within 25' of the connection, which has always done me just fine when camping. I usually just use 10 or 12' though. If I want to go somewhere away from the trailer, a couple minutes connects the one regulator and hose I bring along, but honestly, I have yet to use it when travelling so am no leaving it out of the trailer.

But hey, as long as you can prepare a good meal, there are lots and lots of ways that work to a yummy end.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I can set up any of my three appliances that connect to the LP QC within 25' of the connection, which has always done me just fine when camping. I usually just use 10 or 12' though. If I want to go somewhere away from the trailer, a couple minutes connects the one regulator and hose I bring along, but honestly, I have yet to use it when traveling so am no leaving it out of the trailer.

But hey, as long as you can prepare a good meal, there are lots and lots of ways that work to a yummy end.
Agreed! A propane pig, as we call them, is a one gallon propane tank. It contains about 5 times the amount found in a green Coleman bottle and of course is refillable. I have them for whitewater camping.

We did not remove the inside oven. In fact I am still trying to find a way to attach the right side to the counter. Right now it slides out with a single finger pulling it.

Since I have only been on four trips so far, I am still trying to figure out what I like. I prefer cooking outside if not raining. I bring both my Weber Baby Q and the Blackstone. Sooner or later I intend to leave one at home. I am not opposed to using the quick connect but so far this is what I do. I also carry a Magic Chef stove and have not used it once. And we have only cooked a few meals inside the trailer.

So our opinions are still forming. I love the baby Q.
Attached Thumbnails
propane pig.jpg  
Old 08-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #6

I mentioned this in another thread. When I drove up to get the trailer, I got out the stove at 4 am and started to connect everything on the tailgate for coffee, when some big animal, 30 feet behind me, started to growl / pant at me. It was completely dark and I was alone.

I listened for a moment to be sure of what I was hearing. When I was sure, I flipped up the tailgate, threw everything in back, put down the bed cover and got the hell out of there. I have no idea what was growling. Under different circumstances, I might have stayed around to find out.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have a Camp Chef Oven as well as a 2 burner grill with lid. The grill is nice with the legs for easy set up; however lately the oven travels with us as it is more versatile and compact. On windy nights we have brought it inside to make a pizza - which it does good on the top rack; gets a bit too hot on the bottom rack. Of course we have both roof vents open( we don't have AC) as well as a window.

For a bbq we take the Weber Go Anywhere. It fits easily in the front box along with charcoal and the chimney in the very corner.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
For anyone interested, there is the camp chef explorer stainless model on steep and cheap right now for half price. Maybe only 2 left available. It is the best deal I have seen anywhere.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I used to carry the weber go anywhere gas, but the current model leaves much to be desired from the 10 years ago model.

I recently got the blackstone griddle and have used it a few times at home...I like it. I'm going to do a test to see if I can also use it as a "stovetop" to do things like boil water for coffee when I want to cook outside.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #10

While we do great with a gas grill, arrive our campfire outside for cooking, I would like to check out the Blackstone sometime too, I just know nobody that has one and am not into buying just to check it out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
I did not want to get a dedicated flat top grill, which is why I went with the explorer stove. simple enough to just add a flatop griddle on one side and stilll have a burner available on the other.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRV View Post
I did not want to get a dedicated flat top grill, which is why I went with the explorer stove. simple enough to just add a flatop griddle on one side and stilll have a burner available on the other.
Actually, I have used a griddle covering both burners on my Camp Chef Ranger II, and produced great results. Pancakes for a group are produced quickly.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I have a Blackstone and a Outland Firebowl that I converted for use with either the trailer propane quick connect or 20 lb tank.

Here's a link to that post: quick propane / grill question
Thank you
Old 12-12-2020, 05:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I use a Blackstone but not with the quick connect. I carry little propane one gallon pigs for stoves.

One thing I do not like about the Blackstone is; it does not take a cross wind very well. It interferes with the heat transfer. Sometimes I open the trailer door to block the wind. No biggie! Everybody loves it.
Ty for your reply
Old 12-12-2020, 05:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I can set up any of my three appliances that connect to the LP QC within 25' of the connection, which has always done me just fine when camping. I usually just use 10 or 12' though. If I want to go somewhere away from the trailer, a couple minutes connects the one regulator and hose I bring along, but honestly, I have yet to use it when travelling so am no leaving it out of the trailer.

Ty for your teply
Old 01-29-2021, 12:04 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Hello there
Thanks in advance
Came here looking for an answer to this very question. I didn't know the camp chef versatop griddle with the BBQ box attachment even existed until I saw one tonight. They appear to be relatively new on the market.

We outfitted our new 21C with a Weber Q1200, converted for quick connect and have been using it a lot, both in trailer and at home (working from home during the pandemic, I'll grill lunch on it). I added a griddle grate to one side (all that is allowed) and it works OK to do breakfast, but I'd have preferred something like the Camp Chef where you could use all of the space for either grill or griddle function, depending on need.

It also appears that that the Camp Chef would fit in the under bed storage compartment, which the Weber Q will not (unless disassembled), which would be a huge plus. I'm really interested in hearing others' experiences.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:16 AM   #17

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
Came here looking for an answer to this very question. I didn't know the camp chef versatop griddle with the BBQ box attachment even existed until I saw one tonight. They appear to be relatively new on the market.

We outfitted our new 21C with a Weber Q1200, converted for quick connect and have been using it a lot, both in trailer and at home (working from home during the pandemic, I'll grill lunch on it). I added a griddle grate to one side (all that is allowed) and it works OK to do breakfast, but I'd have preferred something like the Camp Chef where you could use all of the space for either grill or griddle function, depending on need.

It also appears that that the Camp Chef would fit in the under bed storage compartment, which the Weber Q will not (unless disassembled), which would be a huge plus. I'm really interested in hearing others' experiences.
Just for clarity, a Weber Q1200 will fit under the bed of a 21c. Under our 21c's bed we currently keep two anti gravity chairs, two folding 2x4ft plastic tables, q1200 Weber grill in a weber grill bag, and finally a little red campfire in a can propane firepit.

I'm guessing here that your Weber q1200 also has the folding cart attached to it, if so I could see that being a space hog. One of our main reasons for getting the 21c is the amount of storage space, in our previous Casita all of our extras had to stay in the back of the pickup, with the 21c everything has a place.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #18

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	53485
As people say”without a picture it didn’t happen “.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote