Boy did I mess up this time... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Why, do you keep looking after finding something?
Thrill of the hunt??
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Well my buddy thought of another way, he took a piece of round pipe that fit over the lock, about 4 feet long and merely went up and down on the outside one about 4 times and it popped off, the inside lock he went back and forth. The metal was very soft, the stainless steel sleeve is the hard metal but the lock shaft was very soft metal. Something to remember next time you lose your keys......
Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Great idea Jim - glad to hear it worked out easily for you, but makes one wonder how much good the things really do? I suppose like anything else, they prevent the lazy thieves anyway.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Lesson here seems to be that when keys get lost even if you don't learn how to pick a lock on YouTube no hitch lock is safe from the most elementary persuasion.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Aaaaah the old cheater method, and I ain't talkin about looking over a smart kid's shoulder during a tough chemistry test. Glad it worked out and you're good to proceed for now. Anti theft devices, security cameras everywhere, wink and nod soft judges, ain't this one fine society we've created? Course the Mormons learned to hobble their horses with what are now sold as brain teaser chain and loop puzzles and western society was pretty young then. Soldier on Jim.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Well my buddy thought of another way, he took a piece of round pipe that fit over the lock, about 4 feet long and merely went up and down on the outside one about 4 times and it popped off, the inside lock he went back and forth. The metal was very soft, the stainless steel sleeve is the hard metal but the lock shaft was very soft metal. Something to remember next time you lose your keys......
Hi: cpaharley2008... Proves the old saying... Locks are there for the "Honest" people. A thief can find a quick way in when necessary. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Now we have a new tool to carry - a four-foot-long "spare key" for hitch locks, which will also fit other people's locks if needed. Of course it would only fit one style of lock.

More seriously, perhaps a good plan is to use a combination lock (or two, in the case of this adjustable ball mount). It may not be as secure, but it would serve the same purpose of preventing quick or casual disconnection, and there would be no problem with losing keys.

Another option is a lock which is keyed to match the vehicle, such as the Bolt product. Of course, it would need to be replaced (or re-keyed if another brand allows that) when the vehicle is replaced.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim , glad you got your lock situation solved . Now the keys will turn up ! Do you know what manufacturer the locks were ? I have one that has to screw on first then it locks . There are many different ones out there . That was to easy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Another option is a lock which is keyed to match the vehicle, such as the Bolt product. Of course, it would need to be replaced (or re-keyed if another brand allows that) when the vehicle is replaced.
Brian that lock looks so bulky I can't help but think it would get in the way of the safety chains
Old 06-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Is it just me or does everybody carry a lot of keys with them when they go camping these days? First I have the keys for my tow vehicle, and since I now have a pickup I have keys for the tonneau cover, next the keys for the hitch receiver, then the trailer coupler lock, my front storage box, rear storage box, exterior access hatch, and finally the door key. That's 8 different keys just to go camping.
If someone were to come up with a universal locking system requiring just one key to unlock everything, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #51

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Is it just me or does everybody carry a lot of keys with them when they go camping these days? First I have the keys for my tow vehicle, and since I now have a pickup I have keys for the tonneau cover, next the keys for the hitch receiver, then the trailer coupler lock, my front storage box, rear storage box, exterior access hatch, and finally the door key. That's 8 different keys just to go camping.
If someone were to come up with a universal locking system requiring just one key to unlock everything, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Yep, don't drink too much or you can't find the right key
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: sunrisetrucker... Then everyone would have a key!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #53

My foolproof, factory supplied, always-around-your-neck key system. Never leave the tow vehicle or the trailer without it there.
Attached Thumbnails
lanyard.jpg  
Old 06-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My foolproof, factory supplied, always-around-your-neck key system. Never leave the tow vehicle or the trailer without it there.
Myron same here . Just need to attach the whistle . Pat
Old 06-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #55

Great minds, Pat. Keys, of course, useless on the backwoods trails. Whistle though, could be a savior.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Brian that lock looks so bulky I can't help but think it would get in the way of the safety chains
I agree, it is bulky. Even the more compact designs can get in the way, depending on the chain loop location. In this case, the size of the lock mechanism is driven in part by the relatively large automotive keys that need to fit in it.

Quote:
That's the point of systems such as the BOLT line, and they get reasonably close if you're willing to change out compartment locks, but the trailer's door would be tough - there are likely too many variations with not enough customers to bother including them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Yep, ours are on except for showers and sleeping. You have blue! We have red. Trade ya.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #58

Quote:
Great minds, Pat. Keys, of course, useless on the backwoods trails. Whistle though, could be a savior.
Going to put our military whistle on right now from the son-in -law. Pat
Old 06-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Acme Thunder. Roadrunner approved.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Acme Thunder. Roadrunner approved.
Does it go "meep, meep" instead of whistle?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote