Bringing a dog into the USA. Important info for international travelers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2024, 08:21 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bringing a dog into the USA. Important info for international travelers

What your dog needs to enter the United States until July 31, 2024:

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...rt-permit.html

Starting August 1, 2024 at 12:01AM ET: https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...ates/dogs.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
From what they say, it will be required even if you took your dog out of the US the same day.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Can't get the second link to work but the first applies to dogs coming from high risk rabies countries, which Canada isn't.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Can't get the second link to work but the first applies to dogs coming from high risk rabies countries, which Canada isn't.

Ron
I fixed the link. The information is more for the really serious traveler. I know we have some South American travelers. This info would be more inline with what they need.

Here's a link to the high-risk countries: https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...high-risk.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 10:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am not certain on the minimum 6 months of age, but the microchip is new I believe. Proper rabies vaccination has always been in place and actually the only thing we ever worried about.

We are picking up our new pup on May 27 and it will be at least next year before we enter the US, probably more.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
10 years ago I was looking at buying a puppy from a breeder on Vancouver Island. For as long as I can remember all dogs needed current rabies vaccines to enter the US but puppies were exempt.
Two weeks before I put down my deposit they changed the requirements and included puppies which can't get a rabies shot until they are 12 weeks old. The breeder decided to no longer sell to US buyers.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

The information is more for the really serious traveler.
Definitely international travelers have much more strenuous regulations.

One time when we were sailing from Sicily to Tunisia we couldn't stop at Malta because of their quarantine rules. Another time coming back from Turkey they put our dog in quarantine at the airport in London until our connecting flight to Vancouver. They missed getting her on the plane on time and we had to take off without her. Hated that. She arrived the next day.

The price of traveling with dogs. But I'd rather have them with me then left with a dog sitter. And I think that they'd rather be with their pack then with a dog sitter.

Ron
Old 05-12-2024, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am not certain on the minimum 6 months of age, but the microchip is new I believe. Proper rabies vaccination has always been in place and actually the only thing we ever worried about.

We are picking up our new pup on May 27 and it will be at least next year before we enter the US, probably more.
Hopefully by then it will shake down and they'll have clearer information on whether it really affects every dog or not on short trips to Canada and not going anywhere else. The six month thing USED to be in effect for pups but was removed.

I like the microchip part except I believe it will create even longer border delays unless they make it so hard to travel with pets that nobody does it anymore.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
10 years ago I was looking at buying a puppy from a breeder on Vancouver Island. For as long as I can remember all dogs needed current rabies vaccines to enter the US but puppies were exempt.
Two weeks before I put down my deposit they changed the requirements and included puppies which can't get a rabies shot until they are 12 weeks old. The breeder decided to no longer sell to US buyers.
And then they changed that again. My sister got both her goldens from BC but in between the two was a period of time when the dog had to have rabies shots to come in.

This is aimed more at sick dogs than actual rabies, i think, and the microchip part so you can't sneak a dog in with another dog's info, but it's crazy since the last five years or so they weren't even checking rabies certificates anymore. Not to mention a border where wild rabid animals can cross freely!
Old 05-12-2024, 12:21 PM   #10

I ran through their "Dog Bot" to see what it would say for bringing my dog into the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/TemplatePackage/...l/summary.html

What's unclear is whether there is any length of stay allowed before that's required. What happens if I go to Point Roberts, Washington?

But then it says

"If you don’t follow CDC’s rules, your dog won’t be allowed to enter the United States. If denied entry, your dog will be sent back to the last country of departure at your expense." That country would be the US. So that makes no sense if it applies to short trips.

But in their frequently asked questions:

I travel frequently to Canada or Mexico. What are the requirements to return to the U.S. with my dog?
CDC’s importation requirements apply to all dogs, including dogs that leave the country for short trips, such as to visit family or friends, or to receive veterinary care. Both Canada and Mexico are rabies-free countries. People bringing their dogs to the U.S. from these countries have many options to meet CDC’s requirements. Please see our website for the list of requirements for dogs that travel frequently between Canada, Mexico, and the U.S.

I do find that the rabies form is good for as long as the vaccination is good, so it appears that although you have to do a day of form you don't have to do all the paperwork every time. But I'll let someone else find out!

I have a friend who travels about every two weeks to Canada for agility training so I guess she can be a guinea pig.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

"If you don’t follow CDC’s rules, your dog won’t be allowed to enter the United States. If denied entry, your dog will be sent back to the last country of departure at your expense." That country would be the US. So that makes no sense if it applies to short trips.

Truly mind numbing how bureaucrats could come up with this. I can understand that there may be an increased need with the number of animals rescued from war torn or disaster areas and brought to Canada and the US. But given that both Canada and the US are both low risk and have the same kind of rules it's amazing that they lump Canadian or US born dogs in with ones coming from other parts of the world.

I'm not sure what they'd do with our dog if we didn't comply with the rules. She was born in San Bernadino. Does that mean she wouldn't be allowed to enter the US with us and would get sent to San Bernadino?

We were going to head down to the Black Hills after the rally. Not so sure about that now. Maybe the best plan is to wait and see if folks start having grief at the border.

Ron
Old 05-12-2024, 04:00 PM   #12

it doesn't start until August so you are good now as long as you return before the date it starts.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Since I moved to the US in 1983 I travel back to Canada on a regular basis to see family. I have crossed the border with my dogs many many times and I always have current rabies certificates in my truck. Not once in all those years did anyone ask for proof of my dogs being current on their shots. This CDC requirement is not for your everyday let's take our dog into the US on vacation, it's for people living aboard with a dog and now moving back to the US. It just looks like they are tightening up the import rules a little.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:12 AM   #14

My vet had some CDC info sent. It appears that dogs from the US with the rabies form current and the up. to date chip will be subject to possible health exam but should not need the 30 day health form from the vet. But it is still unclear as the CDC info bounces you from one site to another and they are contradictory in places.

If the main info is right you will need to get the form certifying the rabies shot and it will be valid until the vaccine expires. (This for dogs who got their vaccines in the US and only wet to Canada.)

If you don't currently have the right chip, you must have it inserted before the vaccine is give. This could be an issue if you have had a vaccine for rabies recently as doubling up on that one is not advised. (I just checked that both my dogs have the right ones; you are more likely to have the older one if you have an old dog.)

You are good until August so no worries if traveling (both ways) before that.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
New rules coming for dogs entering US

Just read a news report on this and then checked it out on the government website,

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...-august-1.html

Something to plan for if crossing later in summer.

We used to sail with two dogs, to clear customs into the Bahamas we needed an international pet health certificate signed by a vet within 24 hrs of arrival ! They charged $100 each, and left the date blank. We filled in the date as we were arriving.

We just have one now, Tiller, I’ll be looking more closely these new requirements for our next border crossing…

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0219.jpeg   the two salties.jpeg   IMG_0199.jpeg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Our vet has been looking into this for us. The last time we spoke with her there was no further information and no forms available to Canadian vets. The vets seem to be left as in-the-dark and confused as the rest of us.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:42 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
In the past our vet has provided a health certificate like this for travel,

https://inspection.canada.ca/sites/d...316023_eng.pdf

This seems to have the information required for a dog going into the USA.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:48 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
In the past our vet has provided a health certificate like this for travel,

https://inspection.canada.ca/sites/d...316023_eng.pdf

This seems to have the information required for a dog going into the USA.

Bob
I haven't seen that particular form but we do get a vaccination certificate from her. I'll ask about that form.

We are lucky our dog is young enough that she has the new, accepted microchip.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:43 AM   #19

The most irritating thing is that you have to go through the whole process and then the permit is good for 30 days.

Ron
Old 06-18-2024, 11:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The most irritating thing is that you have to go through the whole process and then the permit is good for 30 days.

Ron
If the vaccine is US approved it is good for the length of the vaccine. You can also get a vet statement that will allow acceptance of a titer but not just because of not wanting to vaccinate- there has to be a medical reason and they ask for vet records.

The whole thing is annoying but it is because they were getting foreign imports and puppy mill dogs that were coming in sick.