Build Sheet - a few more decisions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

We have a USB charging area underneath the dinette and hate the position. Too many wires where our feet/legs go. If I was to do it again, that 12v/usb would have been installed in the upper cabinet next to the refrigerator wall and another on the other side upper cabinet next to the rangehood wall. This next summer I'll be adding that 12v/usb to the upper cabinet next to the refrigerator, where you can neatly hide the phone/computer devices/wires in the cabinet and not have them in the way when using the dinette. Once that 12v/USB is installed I doubt we'll ever use the one under the dinette.

Just a thought.

Perry
Perry, those are good thoughts. With the standard dinette table going to the back wall, I figured we'd corr the wires nicely under table. But we need to think more about that.
Also, you can indeed have two 12 v outlets added above bed, according to ETI. We have two CPAPs and will probably get an outlet for each. Hopefully one in above bed cab on bathroom side and other in the driver side cab on side wall above bed, next to the 120 if there is room. OR we've thought about putting in one outlet and splitting it for both CPAPs. Not sure though about the power being enough if we split. Still figuring that out.
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have usb 12v charge outlets front n back, but we totally charge all phones/iPads etc now with portable chargers. https://amzn.to/33T5u59
This keeps all the recharging off our trailer battery’s. The portable chargers are recharged in the car when sightseeing or running errands or at the trailer charging plugs when solar is at full output and we’re outside.
Works great, very efficient and the portable chargers can go with on hikes, etc to keep phones charged if needed for emergency use.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryandEllen View Post
Thanks, maybe we will use that one to rig up our little charging station. I didn't see mention in the paperwork anywhere of the USB in the controller. I hope they still have it. I've learned a lot in the forum. I do know things can change, but it helps when asking questions of ETI. Thanks!

We had asked for 12V DC drops in each corner of our 17, in the overhead cabinets. We used one to power a charging shelf under the overhead cabinet over the bed. It is a 12VDC to 5V USB , that we use for recharging cellphones and 2way family radios. The 12V also powers our wifi VPN.
Attached Thumbnails
USB charging shelf.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #24

Thanks everyone, for your input. One more question.... if I (Ellen of the duo here) want to have those nifty lights inside the upper cabinets one day (a project for Gary), do I need to have the 12V drop on each side, in each cabinet? Or just do one side and that may work for the back and sides? Don't wanna be caught short (I really like the lights I've seen).
Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you put a drop in the rear center o/h then you can feed one down both sides and kitchen. Then one on the bed o/h, one under the bed at the minimum.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you put a drop in the rear center o/h then you can feed one down both sides and kitchen. Then one on the bed o/h, one under the bed at the minimum.
Thanks, Jim. We have a phone appt with our salesperson tomorrow and we are finalizing our 12V needs.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #27

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We also placed a 12V/ USB outlet outside the trailer, that way we can run a 12V compressor to top up the tires. We add water to the water tank via a spare 12V water pump we carry.

Jim (cpaharley) I have never found a vacuum cleaner with enough suck in 12V, my beloved instant pot does not run on 12V, and now I am thinking of adding a small blender. We did have a 12V blender on our sailboat but it was gynormous. I am in the camp of an inverter is exceedingly helpful. Over the 22 years cruising with our sailboat we could only power a 300 watt inverter, it just wasn't enough for a decent vacuum cleaner. And I was way too cheap to install the 1500 watt inverter after we left the US in 1997.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:46 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
We also placed a 12V/ USB outlet outside the trailer, that way we can run a 12V compressor to top up the tires. We add water to the water tank via a spare 12V water pump we carry.

Jim (cpaharley) I have never found a vacuum cleaner with enough suck in 12V, my beloved instant pot does not run on 12V, and now I am thinking of adding a small blender. We did have a 12V blender on our sailboat but it was gynormous. I am in the camp of an inverter is exceedingly helpful. Over the 22 years cruising with our sailboat we could only power a 300 watt inverter, it just wasn't enough for a decent vacuum cleaner. And I was way too cheap to install the 1500 watt inverter after we left the US in 1997.
There is always a wisk broom or remove and shake....the rug, not yourself....
Old 10-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #29

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:

After 6mo months of use with solar/ Honda generator without the inverter, I can tell you that having the inverter is very handy! I installed the same setup that would have been optioned if I had ordered originally. Not that I would have returned to ETI for installation, but ETI said that they would not install the transfer switch and all plug inverter setup after delivery. I found the install of the Inverter, Transfer Switch, and Sub panel fairly simple. I used the Inverter last weekend after returning home from camping to run our vacuum cleaner.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #30

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:

Jim (cpaharley) I have never found a vacuum cleaner with enough suck in 12V
We also had ETI install 12v/USB outlets next to the door on our 5.0. Use them all the time.

After having similar problems with 12v vacuum cleaners that didn't really suck and the battery would be dead after 5 minutes use, we purchased a Black & Decker 20V Max Flex Vacuum. It really, really sucks! We just returned from a six week trip, where it was used frequently, and I still was able to clean out the camper with the charge we left home with. This vacuum is the first one we've ever owned that matches the suck of a home unit. We use it in our condo when not camping.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The solar controller, mounted under the dinette, includes a USB charging outlet as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Here's the USB outlet that's on the solar controller, to the left of the display.
Bear in mind that the USB port integrated on the Go Power solar controller is only rated for 800mA or 0.8A. This might be too low to charge a device in an acceptable amount of time. In comparison the USB on the Magnadyne combo 12V outlet/USB ports used by Escape is 2A per port.
Attached Thumbnails
Go Power USB.JPG   magnadyne spec.JPG  
Old 10-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #32

Trailer: New
Quote:
We also had ETI install 12v/USB outlets next to the door on our 5.0. Use them all the time.

After having similar problems with 12v vacuum cleaners that didn't really suck and the battery would be dead after 5 minutes use, we purchased a Black & Decker 20V Max Flex Vacuum. It really, really sucks! We just returned from a six week trip, where it was used frequently, and I still was able to clean out the camper with the charge we left home with. This vacuum is the first one we've ever owned that matches the suck of a home unit. We use it in our condo when not camping.

Enjoy,

Perry
This is a good vacuum cleaner but whichever one anyone gets make sure it’s a lithium battery in it like this one. Some brands sell the same version with old battery tech and new battery tech. Lithium or Ion in the name is always worth the extra money.
Vacuums are the one of the few products that the more it sucks when we get it the happier we are
MichaelJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Dyson stick battery powered vac works very well
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
FWIW. I fear the USB standard will go away sooner than you think. I got the 12V sockets and use 12V USB charger stuck in them. They come in different amperage and don't draw anything when unplugged. Plus the adapters are less than the $25 dollar difference. Whatever they come up with to be the next (USB C?) standard will just require a different adapter.
Steve NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve NY View Post
FWIW. I fear the USB standard will go away sooner than you think. I got the 12V sockets and use 12V USB charger stuck in them. They come in different amperage and don't draw anything when unplugged. Plus the adapters are less than the $25 dollar difference. Whatever they come up with to be the next (USB C?) standard will just require a different adapter.
Most likely, whatever new system that comes out, thinking usb c here, will only require a outlet change and no wiring. There’s only so much power that can be pushed through a 12 volt charger. Also, the technology will overlap 10-15 years as a guess. Example dvd is here still in use while blue ray has been around for a decade.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJS View Post
Most likely, whatever new system that comes out, thinking usb c here, will only require a outlet change and no wiring. There’s only so much power that can be pushed through a 12 volt charger. Also, the technology will overlap 10-15 years as a guess. Example dvd is here still in use while blue ray has been around for a decade.

Car cigarette lighters used to be fused at 15 Amps, but I don't think the modern wimpy 12V outlets are fused at that.

All the hard wired usb oulets I know of including the ones Escape sells are always on, drawing power which is a show stopper for me as I mostly boondock. You can spend 6 bucks for a 12V to USB C adapter (they are 20 now but will fall when standard) and be done with no wiring. Also....not judging but are DVD's still a thing?
Steve NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
This vacuum is the first one we've ever owned that matches the suck of a home unit. We use it in our condo when not camping.
That's what I say about our Dyson's. We've used just about every type of portable vacuum over the years for boating and trailers and none were worth the effort.

But the Dyson is amazing. My wife prefers our "big" one instead of using our built-in vacuum system and the "small" one is fantastic for things like stairs at home and in the trailer cleaning up mod debris and on the road.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve NY View Post
Car cigarette lighters used to be fused at 15 Amps, but I don't think the modern wimpy 12V outlets are fused at that.

All the hard wired usb oulets I know of including the ones Escape sells are always on, drawing power which is a show stopper for me as I mostly boondock. You can spend 6 bucks for a 12V to USB C adapter (they are 20 now but will fall when standard) and be done with no wiring. Also....not judging but are DVD's still a thing?
Ahoy Steve, I work at Wally World, dvd is a thing lol. 4 years ago you could still buy VHS players. Yep, I know!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:58 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJS View Post
Ahoy Steve, I work at Wally World, dvd is a thing lol. 4 years ago you could still buy VHS players. Yep, I know!

Several years ago I bought a VHS player at Wally World and a DVD player / burner from Future Shop. Transferred all the home birthday videos and Xmas shoots to DVD.

Apparently, those DVDs are destined to disintegrate as well, the data will no longer be readable, even if you have a player.
The only reliable media is paper.