Build Sheet questions: Down to the wire - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21. 2016 Kia Sorento EX+ V6
Send a message via Skype™ to travdes
gbaglo: No worries there, I don't fish or hunt .

Rubicon: Love the widget for the tap though, I originally suggested that to my wife Desiree as a selling point to having on the passenger side, and she doesn't understand wanting to do dishes outdoors when there's a perfectly good sink inside :-) . I didn't have a rebuttal, other than not dirtying the trailer. I'm leaning towards passenger side, and just use the hose out the back on the dogs if they get muddy. We have a Golden who seems to find and lay in every puddle.
travdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
An outside shower might be nice. We prefer to just use a quality container with a spout which works fine for cooking. We also prefer to get our drinking water in that container rather than use the onboard tanks, not that we need to re-hash that particular thread again. It fits nicely over our sink for water during the night too.

https://www.amazon.com/Tolco-Heavy-D...M2FYVVVBYMMD3A

Showering would be a different matter, but I suspect a lot more people use these for dishes than showers.

But if I wanted to clean fish.. then yeah, outside spigot for sure.

Everyone has different needs.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecatstar View Post
We just confirmed our build sheet for our 19' on Friday, 1/25 - and instead of 2 built in panels we got the Zamp port installed ($100) instead of prewired which costs same price($100).
We will be buying out portable "suitcase" solar panel from O'Conners that is right down the street from Escape. They are great, very knowledgeable and have worked with many Escape trailer owners. There portables come in 80W and 120W and their price beats Amazon!
I'm so relieved to be finally done with the build now!!!
I was originally thinking of doing that, but we tend to leave our campsites a lot for adventures elsewhere and I was paranoid it would get stolen. Congratulations on your trailer!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 19’
Thumbs up Just picked up 21’

You pretty much got everything. We were more modest, but we are happy w our choices. We declined the bath and front windows, thinking more about the long term strength of the shell. The front window would mostly face the vehicle and we really like the shelf over the bed. I’d say skip the front window. We went w the bench and not the u dinette as w two that’s all we need and the cost w added upholstery didn’t make sense for us. We got the E2 hitch n sway control for our 2018 Nissan Armada tow vehicle, really a solid stable ride and easy to hook n unhook n back up. Love the power awning, quick easy. We tried to stick w simple as possible w safety and cost as top preferences. We are very impressed w the quality of everything - you should be too.
Ksambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksambor View Post
You pretty much got everything. We were more modest, but we are happy w our choices. We declined the bath and front windows, thinking more about the long term strength of the shell. The front window would mostly face the vehicle and we really like the shelf over the bed. I’d say skip the front window. We went w the bench and not the u dinette as w two that’s all we need and the cost w added upholstery didn’t make sense for us. We got the E2 hitch n sway control for our 2018 Nissan Armada tow vehicle, really a solid stable ride and easy to hook n unhook n back up. Love the power awning, quick easy. We tried to stick w simple as possible w safety and cost as top preferences. We are very impressed w the quality of everything - you should be too.
We did go a little overboard, originally I was looking to spend about 10k less but after much discussion and also realizing how good the resale market is we choose to buy exactly what we wanted from the outset at the cost of spending an extra 18 months paying it off. Many of the upgrades we added were to allow us to camp more often and allow me to bring my gear and work remotely. We actually had the standard dinette on our list until last week, then I showed my wife the lagun mount, and we switched it so we could put the dog bed under the table. Glad to hear you like the E2, our tow is basically borderline adequate (Kia Sorento). We're going to see how it goes before we decide if we want to upgrade, I was really hoping to hold out buying another car until some decent electric TV's start coming out so we're crossing our fingers its good enough.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:34 AM   #26
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Nice build sheet! We just submitted our build sheet last week, very similar! We also ordered an oven because we had an oven in our last 2 RVs and now... we are hooked. The day before we leave on a trip I normally make some sort of casserole so that when we get to the campground the next day, all I do is turn on the oven and pop in the casserole. While it bakes we finish setting everything up and then viola, dinner is served. Not to mention fresh baked cookies for dessert is always a hit. There have also been times we plan to BBQ but if it starts to rain, having an oven to use instead has been a very welcomed plan B. In that case, I usually have ingredients for homemade pizza on hand. On a different topic, we also ordered the additional front window for the same reason - love the views. Since it's not a thermal window but we plan to lower the front rock guard at night, if we want to shield it from unwanted light and/or condensation. Other threads on this forum explain how to install even more insulation on the rock guard, if needed. We also ordered frameless thermal windows in the bath and over the drawer stack, as well. We did not order the back up camera. Instead, we plan to get a wireless camera that talks to our iPhone. When we arrive at a campground, we would attach the camera on a suction cup and use it just for parking. The camera we are considering is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNBJBQQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it) Cheers to our new 21s!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:25 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I did not have the outside shower on my first 2 Escapes for several reasons, mainly the style back then comprised of a hole in the shell to push the hose inside. Not wanting such an opening I passed. Then Escape started using the sealed wall unit hose bib style that did not allow any cold air inside and I opted for the curb side kitchen set up with the spigot. We used it a lot and I then used the hose to clean the front of trailer from bugs. Hot water seems to help. But I could only reach part of the front. So, we are getting two outside showers on the new Escape, port and starboard which should allow 360 degree bug hosing with hot water and the kitchen set up for morning coffee right out the door.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by travdes View Post
We did go a little overboard, originally I was looking to spend about 10k less but after much discussion and also realizing how good the resale market is we choose to buy exactly what we wanted from the outset at the cost of spending an extra 18 months paying it off. Many of the upgrades we added were to allow us to camp more often and allow me to bring my gear and work remotely. We actually had the standard dinette on our list until last week, then I showed my wife the lagun mount, and we switched it so we could put the dog bed under the table. Glad to hear you like the E2, our tow is basically borderline adequate (Kia Sorento). We're going to see how it goes before we decide if we want to upgrade, I was really hoping to hold out buying another car until some decent electric TV's start coming out so we're crossing our fingers its good enough.
Actually, the Husky Center Line TS is a better choice than the E2. Better built and has four points of anti sway vs two. It's a clone of the original Equal-i-zer but at a much lower cost.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Center Line TS.jpg  
Old 01-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, looks like we're going with the bathroom window :-)
Yup, good decision, it's one option that I wouldn't do without.

Being able to see out front; priceless. I wouldn't own any RV that I couldn't see out all 4 directions. And with that I wouldn't have an RV that I couldn't flip a switch and have all sides lit up. When we're in remote areas and hear something outside I prefer to look out the window first rather then open the door.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Actually, the Husky Center Line TS is a better choice than the E2. Better built and has four points of anti sway vs two. It's a clone of the original Equal-i-zer but at a much lower cost.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, I hadn't heard of this one, seems to have really good reviews too.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Like your build sheet, will be a great trailer that you will be able to make many memories in.
As far as TV ready my wife and I had thought about it on our build sheet, thinking it might help with resale in the future if we didn’t use it. Then we started to down load movies to our I pads from Net Flix. This has worked well for us and we also have a portable bluetooth speaker and play the movies though that for our mini theatre. Side note Net Flix only lets you have the movies for 30 days then you have to renew.
Cheers and welcome to the Escapies.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
The four items I wish we had ordered were: reinforce the refrigerator wall, add a TV outlet, 12v/USB receptacle, and a 110v receptacle just under the upper shelf on the refrigerator wall. For us it's would have been a perfect place to recharge phones, etc, and would have been there for a TV.

For those adding a u-shaped dinette, we were happy we added 4" to the seat of the rear bench and changed the rear bench back cushion from 2" to 4".

We also had two extra cushions made that are half the length, but the full width to fill in the center of the u-shape. Unfortunately, we figured out when we originally ordered our Escape we explained what we wanted incorrectly and just got two more cushions like those provided to fill in the space. Hope this made sense. We will be getting the correct cushions after we return from Arizona/New Mexico/Texas this winter.

Others have pretty much covered the other items we had added.

Had we known how crappy the foot flush toilet was going to be we wouldn't have ordered it. This one either fully flushes or doesn't flush with your foot and is noisy. Others we have had in the past had decent modulation, so it was easy to gently flush at the rate we wanted with reasonable quiet. I keep waking Terry up at night with that poor, loud toilet flush.

We like to sit outside in the rain, so we ordered the conventional awning. Sitting outside in the rain while camping is important to us and the electric awning just won't work well in that situation. We sat outside 3-4 times in the rain on our maiden voyage already and are happy with our decision. Others want just shade and I understand their wishes too.

I'm currently writing this in the Valley of Fire Recreational Area in New Mexico, and we will be in our Escape for the next eleven weeks.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Like the foot flush vs. reaching back for the hook lever. Living in CA we've been saying for years: If its yellow, let it mellow.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #34

Fun&Sun: That's what we intend to do, about 15 years ago we dumped all of our DVD's to a hard drive and gave away the dvd's. Now we do that with any Blurays we buy or just buy the digital format, so we'll just bring along the hard drive for movie watching.

Perryb67: Is the back bench too narrow? I should have sat in the dinette when we looked at them a couple weeks ago. Do you remember how much they charged to extend it? I wish we could do an extended trip after we pick it up, we're planning a 3-4 day trip to test it out in mid May. Have fun on your trip, I'm jealous!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For the same reason the extra window over the nightstand would be for the bath, extra light plus ventilation in that tiny room, the door is vented so a window in the bath should help dissipate any odors as well as help dry anything wet in there. The surge protector protects your electrical system from surges and misfiring and the a/c from over/under voltage operation.
We have both the window over the drawer stack and the front window on our 21 and love the extra natural lighting and view in all four directions. It is simple to just not open the front window when it is not desired, and on cold nights I close the cover (I added reflectix insulation under the cover and have not had any condensation there). We use the outside shower on the passenger side all the time to wash dishes outside under the awning, using a little flexible spout with the quick disconnect and a small portable table. As far as a WDH, Reace told me I should definitely get one, although sway control would be optional on the 21 (we tow with a half ton Silverado). We got the E2 from Escape and it has performed well.

I expect you are going to really enjoy your trailer!
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Extra outlets

We added a number of extra outlets. I can't remember which were standard and which we added, so I will list all we have:

120volt: Under the front of the kitchen counter. Under the passenger's side dinette bench. Under the driver's side dinette bench. Just above the drawer stack. High above the drawer stack for the TV. Above the front driver's side of the bed. Below the bed on the 45 degree angle piece.

12volt/USB: Under the front of the kitchen counter. Centered under the back dinette seat (U shaped dinette). Above the drawer stack. Above the front passenger's side of the bed. (This is the only one we have not made use of. I put it in for a 12 volt fan, but found I could hard wire the fan through the wall to the bathroom light.)

12 volt outside: On either side between the wheel wells for pumping up tires.

We also added a second door for access under the bed beside the bathroom door.

We had the bathroom door raised slightly, so the opening was only at the bottom. That looks a little nicer and brings the fresh air from the bottom when the vent fan is running.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:04 PM   #37

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Perryb67: Is the back bench too narrow? I should have sat in the dinette when we looked at them a couple weeks ago. Do you remember how much they charged to extend it? I wish we could do an extended trip after we pick it up, we're planning a 3-4 day trip to test it out in mid May. Have fun on your trip, I'm jealous!
You can see our build sheet by clicking here.

The standard rear portion of the u-shaped dinette is 18" deep, and the standard rear seat back is 2" thick, so you have 16" to sit on. Sixteen inches is too little. We had ours built to 22" deep and had a 4" thick seat back giving you 18" to sit on, much better, and the 4" seat back keeps you from hitting the knobs and blind posts on the window. Looking at our build sheet the 22" rear dinette seat was an extra $235, cushion modifications $200 extra, and the 4" cushion $65 and I'm sitting on it right now. It was worth every penny!

We spent six weeks last Oct/Nov/Dec on our maiden voyage and will spend more in the next few weeks. We purchased the camper to use for our retirement travels.

Looking at our build sheet you can see the other items we purchased. As I said earlier, the only thing I would delete would be the foot flush toilet.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #38

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
I have the Lagun mount as well. I order the U Shaped Dinette but requested that they not install the table. Is that how you handled things too?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i love my oven use it every trip. and i also like the foot flush never liked leaning over the toilet to flush. happy i got the window in the bathroom. i haven't yet used my TV antenna /satellite thing but someday i will....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I have the Lagun mount as well. I order the U Shaped Dinette but requested that they not install the table. Is that how you handled things too?
Me too. The mount has been sitting on my work bench for a couple of months. I’ll install it when I get home. Not sure how much use the table will get, considering we might keep the bed down most of the time, and use the fold up tables that are on each side of the dinette dividers. I might even play with 1x4 slats, to mock up different seating arrangements; like Jim did.

Tags
build sheet, escape 21