Built-In Microwave or not on an Escape 21? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Built-In Microwave or not on an Escape 21?

We are debating the option of the built-in microwave on our Escape 21. It's not an expensive option, so it's not a money issue. It's a question of the convenience of always having it available vs. giving up that cabinet space. If we don't get the built-in microwave we would buy a small one that could fit in that cabinet and bring it on those trips where we expect to use it. We are getting the oven option so the built-in microwave would have to go above the wardrobe closet. With our current trailer we do use the microwave at times but I'm thinking we will use it less because we are getting an oven, which are current trailer does not have.
Any suggestions or things we should consider would be appreciated.
Matt & Mary
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
We are debating the option of the built-in microwave on our Escape 21. It's not an expensive option, so it's not a money issue. It's a question of the convenience of always having it available vs. giving up that cabinet space. If we don't get the built-in microwave we would buy a small one that could fit in that cabinet and bring it on those trips where we expect to use it. We are getting the oven option so the built-in microwave would have to go above the wardrobe closet. With our current trailer we do use the microwave at times but I'm thinking we will use it less because we are getting an oven, which are current trailer does not have.
Any suggestions or things we should consider would be appreciated.
Matt & Mary
We got a small one at Walmart for less than $50 that we can take in and out, which seems the best of both worlds. So far we haven't taken it out much as the 21 has so much storage that we have extra room, but we do not full time. If in the future if we need more storage, or find we don't use it much, it will be easy to remove
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We have a $50 Walmart that we keep in the back of the microwave cabinet. We have a cleat mounted in front of it to keep it from moving around. There is enough room in front of it to keep our toaster. Mostly use it to reheat things. We use it in place.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
microwave

We did not get built in microwave decided to keep the cabinet door . instead bought a small 700 watt (1000 watt power needed)and had ETI put in an extra 12 ga. wire to run to battery box for our 2000 watt inverter .We can now use it boon docking or hooked up to elec power . Jim from Naples
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 1721
We have both an oven and the built-in microwave. So far we've found that we can store non refrigerated groceries in the two cabinets above the kitchen counter top with room to spare unless we are camping for a week. Those scenarios require going to the grocery store again. We like having both the oven and microwave because it allows us to bake a casserole and then reheat leftovers in the microwave. I can see both sides of the street on having ETI install it and putting one in yourself. Both options will work great. We struggled with which route to go and felt having the mounted microwave would ultimately be less work and we didn't have to worry about it moving around. Though, others have accomplished the same result with mounting it in the cabinet with a door. You really can't go wrong either way. Enjoy your Escape. Camping in them becomes addictive.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One of the reasons I moved from a 17 to a 21 rather than a reversed 19 was so I could have the larger refrigerator, built in microwave & oven, and still have storage & counter space.

While I don't use the microwave all that much, the times I most wanted it was when I wanted to make a quick dinner & digging it out from under the bed, clearing the counter, etc just didn't cut it when you were tired from a hike & wanted something quick & simple.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have always used it as a bread box/storage when not using it in my 17 now with all the space i have in the 5.0 i probably wont need to do that.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i have always used it as a bread box/storage when not using it in my 17 now with all the space i have in the 5.0 i probably wont need to do that.
That 's what we do also we use microwave all the time at home and always have had a oven in our RV's . So we have both . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
My micro has a sticker on the door that says ... "Remove Plate while Driving". Now I need a new plate. Don't ask me why.

Tom

Where do I get one?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:12 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
My micro has a sticker on the door that says ... "Remove Plate while Driving". Now I need a new plate. Don't ask me why.

Tom

Where do I get one?
We broke ours on our last trailer, cost as much as a new MW.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
New plate

We never had a problem towing with the plate in place on our 2010 19 foot Escape. But we did have a little mishap and broke the plate. We called Tammy an she told us where we could order the " right" replacement. I can't remember how much it was but it was suprisingly inexpensive. The plate was about $6 and the shipping was about $6. Not over $12 total. We have a microwave in the 21 now and use it several times each outing. We have a small cheap toaster oven that we use all the time too. We use the toaster oven outside a lot when it's hot, we plug into the exterior outlet.
Iowa " cinnabons " Dave
Old 11-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I opted for the storage space and don't regret it at all. I figured if I needed to heat leftovers I could do it the old fashion way - on the stove top. I do have a toaster oven taking up space below the stove top, but since I started using my thermal cooker, I haven't used it much, so it might not stay in there.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I opted for the storage space and don't regret it at all. I figured if I needed to heat leftovers I could do it the old fashion way - on the stove top. I do have a toaster oven taking up space below the stove top, but since I started using my thermal cooker, I haven't used it much, so it might not stay in there.
Hey Laura remember you asked to heat your leftovers in our microwave ?We would not be without one . Both the oven and the microwave are used . Like they are installed and not have to haul them in and out . Can store things inside like bread, chips etc. so not missing any storage at all. Have always had a oven and microwave in all our RV's . Do barbucue outside but we like to cook , especially our own food . I would say to follow what you do at home . Pat
Old 11-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We dry camp a lot, so we rarely have power to operate a microwave. And because we are off the grid a while we need to pack a lot of groceries into our 21. The nearest store may be an hour's drive away. We don't miss the microwave and value the pantry space we have instead. However, if you plan on doing equal amounts of dry camping and more civilized camping with shore power it might be a difficult decision.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have an inverter to use the microwave but have not boondocked the way we expect to, maybe later. We cook all kinds of foods in the microwave, not reheat. We use it plenty.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My wife uses the microwave at home to cook broccoli and to warm milk for her tea. We put it in the attic for a while, but somehow it escaped.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We do not use a microwave in our trailer. The only thing it would get used for is reheating a cup of coffee abandoned when busy. The nice thing about camping in our Escape, is we can sit and enjoy our coffee without need for reheating.

One thing we have learned to do is good meal planning, ensuring the amount cooked will all get eaten, leaving no leftovers, thus no need for a microwave to reheat.

Some say just use it to store stuff in, much like an oven, but you would get WAY more in the cabinet space it takes up.

There are some that use a microwave a lot for cooking, and for them it is a must. Nothing wrong with this at all. Lots of different camping styles out there.

Besides, the plug wired into my trailer for the microwave is now in a cabinet above a counter, and is easy to access and use for a portable appliance there.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That roll top is about the snazziest thing I have seen in an Escape.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have an inverter to use the microwave but have not boondocked the way we expect to, maybe later. We cook all kinds of foods in the microwave, not reheat. We use it plenty.
Cathy we also cook with it too , Pat
Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Cathy we also cook with it too , Pat
And we like to have leftovers too! Pat