Camp Chef Stove and Oven Combo - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2021, 10:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Camp Chef Stove and Oven Combo

Does anyone have experience with Camp chef. Costco has this stove oven combo for $229 CAD. I have never been happy with my Coleman stove so at some point an upgrade? This may be it.
Attached Thumbnails
57112CAA-FA33-4E2C-8C4A-A393853BC3AEa.jpg  
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am with you on dropping the Coleman stove, I never liked them. I love my Camp Chef Ranger II.

I wouldn't get this combi myself, mainly due to the size. I have an oven in the trailer, but previously used my BBQ for baking with great results.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We have used that stove/oven combo for 7 years and it works very well. Ready to go out of the box with low pressure quick connect and also comes with adapter for small bottles as well
Old 03-27-2021, 01:55 AM   #4
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Does anyone have experience with Camp chef. Costco has this stove oven combo for $229 CAD. I have never been happy with my Coleman stove so at some point an upgrade? This may be it.
I've been looking for a Canadian source for this exact product. Great price compared to what I've seen stateside. Was this recently at a local Costco? Can't find it on Costco's online store.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
I've been looking for a Canadian source for this exact product. Great price compared to what I've seen stateside. Was this recently at a local Costco? Can't find it on Costco's online store.
It’s at the London South Costco right now.. if I’m going to get it, I need to pick it up today, still on the fence.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
FWIW, the Camp Chef stove/oven gets very good reviews on Amazon US. 95% rated it 5 (83%) and 4 (12%) stars. The only criticism I. Outed was that the oven thermometer could be inaccurate.

For me, to big and too bulky. I do most cooking on grill, and like Mr. Bennett, do any desired baking in it (after a learning curve). We occasionally use the smaller sized InstaPot. The only stove I have is in the trailer (used only to get propane flowing after long period of storage and to heat water three times in 5+ years) and a single burner butane stove with a disposable propane cylinder adapter, never used in 4+ years, only tested once to make sure it works.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
FWIW, the Camp Chef stove/oven gets very good reviews on Amazon US. 95% rated it 5 (83%) and 4 (12%) stars. The only criticism I. Outed was that the oven thermometer could be inaccurate.

For me, to big and too bulky. I do most cooking on grill, and like Mr. Bennett, do any desired baking in it (after a learning curve). We occasionally use the smaller sized InstaPot. The only stove I have is in the trailer (used only to get propane flowing after long period of storage and to heat water three times in 5+ years) and a single burner butane stove with a disposable propane cylinder adapter, never used in 4+ years, only tested once to make sure it works.
Ok, thanks, I checked Amazon Canada but didn’t think to check Amazon US, I think I’m going to grab this. I have a big truck bed so size isn’t a big deal.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
For Canadian folk...This item is back on costco.ca as a new item this week. Same price as OP listed ($229 CAD) which is quite a bit less than the same product on the CampChef website. Can't tell if it can be converted use an RV outlet, though.

https://www.costco.ca/camp-chef-delu...100724848.html
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBC View Post
Can't tell if it can be converted use an RV outlet, though.
It can. Camp Chef offers a RV Hose to Disposable Adapter, which screws into the appliance and allows the connection of a hose with a flare fitting; the appliance runs on the same pressure of propane as supplied by the trailer's low-pressure quick-disconnect port.

Since this adapter just screws in, in place of the supplied regulator/adapter for a disposable cylinder, there is no work and nothing permanent about setting the appliance up to use the trailer's low-pressure supply (except of course that the available adapter needs to be screwed onto the hose, once).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #10

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a high pressure stove, like the Everest, or low pressure like the Ranger II. I already have a Ranger II but good info for other prospective buyers. I see Rossue also clarified this above as well. Missed that on the first go round. Cheers.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It can. Camp Chef offers a RV Hose to Disposable Adapter, which screws into the appliance and allows the connection of a hose with a flare fitting; the appliance runs on the same pressure of propane as supplied by the trailer's low-pressure quick-disconnect port.

Since this adapter just screws in, in place of the supplied regulator/adapter for a disposable cylinder, there is no work and nothing permanent about setting the appliance up to use the trailer's low-pressure supply (except of course that the available adapter needs to be screwed onto the hose, once).
I followed your link, no problem. However, CampChef doesn't ship to Canada and their "Find a dealer" link shows no dealers in Canada. Any idea where/how I can get this adapter in Canada? I just bought the stove at Costco for $199 which seems like a pretty sweet deal. Unfortunately if I can't adapt it to run off my trailer's tanks it'll have to go back. The stove/oven comes with a regulator and attachment for 1 lb bottles that I don't want to mess with.
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #12

Hi Lawrence. You will have to remove he 1lb adapter for sure. I don't have the stove/oven combo but it should be no problem with a wrench. There are connectors on Amazon.ca that should work to connect your hose to the stove/oven. Likely you can also find the same adapters at your local Home Depot, Rona or Lowes as well. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Simple, get a 1/4" RV quick disconnect male to 1 lb adapter hose

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Conve...dp/B01N1H6LVD/
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post

The link is to a hose for tank-pressure propane; it has a threaded fitting on the outlet end to match the one on top of a one-pound cylinder, also called an appliance, or 1"-20 threaded or Disposable Cylinder Port fitting; it does not have a quick-disconnect fitting.

Yes, you can use it to run the oven without a one-pound cylinder, from it's own larger tank or a tee connection on one of the trailer's tanks, but it doesn't allow the oven to operate on the low-pressure supply from the trailer.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #15

Quote:
You will have to remove he 1lb adapter for sure. I don't have the stove/oven combo but it should be no problem with a wrench. There are connectors on Amazon.ca that should work to connect your hose to the stove/oven. Likely you can also find the same adapters at your local Home Depot, Rona or Lowes as well. Good luck.
You don't need a wrench. As with typical appliances supplied from a one-pound disposable cylinder, the part to be removed just unscrews by hand.

The adapter is specific to some specific Camp Chef models (including the portable ovens, and the VersaTop grills), and might be hard to find - it's not a generic part.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi Lawrence. You will have to remove he 1lb adapter for sure. I don't have the stove/oven combo but it should be no problem with a wrench. There are connectors on Amazon.ca that should work to connect your hose to the stove/oven. Likely you can also find the same adapters at your local Home Depot, Rona or Lowes as well. Good luck.
Thanks for the ideas but I've looked all over with no success. Cabelas, Canadian Tire, Home Depot ... all a bust. The part Brian B-P linked to is pretty specialized - has a long sliding sleeve that screws onto the stove connection. I called CampChef in the US and they confirmed they don't ship to Canada. They did say I could try BlueDog in Canada as they carry a lot of CampChef products. I called there and left a msg, but their website didn't look hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post

Well, I truly do wish it were so simple. The stove is low pressure and comes with a regulator that the 1 lb bottle attaches to. So the direct connection to a 20 lb tank wouldn't work. Did get me thinking though and I dug out the connector that my regular propane stove uses for its 1 lb bottle to see if that would screw in to the CampChef. Not even close, unfortunately.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence A View Post
I followed your link, no problem. However, CampChef doesn't ship to Canada and their "Find a dealer" link shows no dealers in Canada. Any idea where/how I can get this adapter in Canada?
I tried Amazon Canada, but didn't find it there. In a few minutes of looking, I can't find it anywhere except on the Camp Chef website.

Quote:
Unfortunately if I can't adapt it to run off my trailer's tanks it'll have to go back. The stove/oven comes with a regulator and attachment for 1 lb bottles that I don't want to mess with.
There is the option of running off of the trailer's propane tanks, with a suitable hose (such as the one linked skyfree), by disconnecting the pigtail to the trailer from the trailer's standby tank or with a tee fitting.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
The stove is low pressure and comes with a regulator that the 1 lb bottle attaches to. So the direct connection to a 20 lb tank wouldn't work. Did get me thinking though and I dug out the connector that my regular propane stove uses for its 1 lb bottle to see if that would screw in to the CampChef. Not even close, unfortunately.
You don't need to do that - the regulator that the oven comes with is intended to screw to a one-pound disposable cylinder and the hose from the 20-pound tank can connect to that. The pressure from an unregulated propane container is the same regardless of the container size, so with the right fitting a 20-pound tank is interchangeable with a one-pound cylinder.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
You don't need to do that - the regulator that the oven comes with is intended to screw to a one-pound disposable cylinder and the hose from the 20-pound tank can connect to that. The pressure from an unregulated propane container is the same regardless of the container size, so with the right fitting a 20-pound tank is interchangeable with a one-pound cylinder.
True, but I should have added earlier that my goal is to use the trailer's quick-connect to access the trailer's tanks. I was thinking of attaching a Y to the trailer's quick connect and then having two hoses- one to my BBQ (already have) and one to my new CampChef stove/oven combo unit (this would be for longer term set-ups, obviously). I must say this is all getting too complicated for me and I like the stove enough I might just give in and hang a 1lb bottle off of it like it's designed for (yes, it hangs ... never seen that before). Either that, or I'll get the correct part shipped to my wife's sister in the US and have her forward it on. Oh, bother!

Thanks for your help, everyone.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
The link is to a hose for tank-pressure propane; it has a threaded fitting on the outlet end to match the one on top of a one-pound cylinder, also called an appliance, or 1"-20 threaded or Disposable Cylinder Port fitting; it does not have a quick-disconnect fitting.

Yes, you can use it to run the oven without a one-pound cylinder, from it's own larger tank or a tee connection on one of the trailer's tanks, but it doesn't allow the oven to operate on the low-pressure supply from the trailer.
OK, I'm not familiar with low-pressure supply lines quick disconnect fittings on the trailer because mine doesn't have one. You are saying that those are regulated on Escape trailers? The Amazon listing suggests that just plugging into an RV gas supply line would work, but I guess that already has a regulator in the line somewhere and the pressure is too low?

This is a picture of what my popup truck camper setup uses. That is a portable camping stove running off a 5-lb propane cylinder with adapter hose, utilizing the existing regulator that came with the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0527.jpg  
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote