Camping suggestion near the factory? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #1

Trailer: N/A
Camping suggestion near the factory?

We're hoping to get up to the factory in the next couple of weeks to see the 21's. Traveling in our Lazy Daze 27', as we're considering a change and want to see differences side-by-side.

For those of you familiar with the area, do you have favorite camping spots nearby? We tend to prefer boondocking or nice State/Provincial campgrounds, not RV parks.

Thanks!

syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Try Deer or Hicks lake at Sasquatch Provincial campground , itís not to far from ETI.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/sasquatch/

Cheers
Doug

Old 02-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Try Deer or Hicks lake at Sasquatch Provincial campground , itís not to far from ETI.

Sasquatch Provincial Park - BC Parks
Thanks Doug, looks nice. I'll add it to the list for future visits - but according to the link, they're closed due to recent storm damage.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
There is also Cultus Lake Provincial Park nearby ( oops, wide spread storm damage ) and the Fort Camping at Fort Langley. Personally, I'd go with the Fort from what I've seen and heard. On the Fraser River and you can walk to Fort Langley and browse antique shops.
https://www.fortcamping.com/

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA
Several hundred Escape trailers are sold each year to US residents Since those trailers are normally delivered to their new owners in Sumas, Washington, just across the Canadian/US border from the Chilliwack factory US new owners may be interested in camping opportunities in Whatcom County, the Washington State county just south of the border.

There are many happy Escape trailer owners in Whatcom County who enjoy camping at state and county parks in the area.

Bellingham is the county seat of Whatcom County and is located on I-5, the main north-south interstate highway along the US west coast. Information about state parks, county parks, national forest camping, and some private campgrounds in the area can be obtained from Bellingham Whatcom County Tourism:

https://www.bellingham.org/places-to...in-bellingham/

The two state park campgrounds closes to Sumas in Whatcom County are Birch Bay State Park and Larrabee State Park. Reservations and other information about these parks and others in the northwest Washington region can be found on the state park web site: https://parks.state.wa.us

Information about camping at Whatcom County parks can be found on the Parks and Recreation section of the county's web site: Whatcom County, WA - Official Website | Official Website . Silver Lake County Park is quite close to Sumas, has recently been renovated, and offers many good sites for trailer camping.

Venturing only a bit farther away in Washington takes campers to three national parks: Mount Rainier National Park, North Cascades National Park and Olympic National Park.
HawkeyeEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeEZ View Post
US new owners may be interested in camping opportunities in Whatcom County, the Washington State county just south of the border.
I'm familiar with several of those as we frequent the Bellingham area pretty routinely. In particular, Olympic National Park is right in our backyard.

However, we're planning to stay on the Canadian side where we've yet to venture. All my visits north have been to Vancouver Island and Canadian points a little further east.

Canadian camping is preferred for this trip, primarily because one never knows what delays might be encountered at Customs. Especially when travelling in a motorhome...tales abound of spending hours while things are inspected. We do have NEXUS cards, which usually helps when crossing - but I'd prefer to get that out of the way at least a day prior to our visit so as not to delay any appointment we set at the factory.

Still, thanks for the info Hawkeye! Perhaps it will help others.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Now don't be put off by the name of this thread. There is some good information in it.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ton-14154.html

We are going right to the San Juan Islands and are going to stay at Deception Pass S.P.. Without any hookup at all. Just a plain old campground in very breath taking scenery. I think I learned about it in that thread I linked to.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
This time of year, Cultus or the Fort might be your best options in the lower mainland. Cultus is closest to the factory and on a lake. The Fort Campground is located on Brae Island and you can walk/drive across a bridge into the village. The campground itself is treed and you can do a 40 minute walk out to a point on the Fraser River. From what I can see walking the trail all the time, the campground is fairly quiet. They host a fibreglass egg/Boler rally once a year. Fort Langley is fun to visit, it has the Fort, a national historic site, as well as many neat shops including a book store and coffee shop.
A lot of the provincial campgrounds around here are closed for the season, some until as late as May. Another neat location to visit and less than 30 minutes to the factory is Harrison Hot Springs, itís a quieter little village on the lake that is a popular tourist destination but more sleepy in the winter. They have a public hot springs pool. We donít love the trailer parks in town as the spots are very close together, but they might spread you out more in winter.
There is also the Sunshine Valley in Hope, that campground is open year round and quite beautiful. Sometimes that section of the highway can be a little snowy.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #9

Thanks, AnJ - those sound like great options. I'll look into them.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Now don't be put off by the name of this thread. There is some good information in it.
All on the US side, but yes - great info. I've been to most of the areas listed.

Only thing I take exception with, is staying in Sequim. Nice town, perhaps a good place to stay overnight and stock up - but for me personally, I'd not make it a destination when camping/RV'ing. Living on the Olympic Peninsula, I find far more beauty and solitude to the west.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
We are going right to the San Juan Islands and are going to stay at Deception Pass S.P.. Without any hookup at all. Just a plain old campground in very breath taking scenery. I think I learned about it in that thread I linked to.
'Tis a gorgeous place indeed - especially from the water. I've cruised under that bridge and through the pass many times.