Camping without reservations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Camping without reservations

Hi,
We haven't camped with our trailer a lot and are planning to camp in Oregon this July. Without reservations do people have problems finding RV parks? Last summer we had a few days where this was a problem. I like to make some reservations, but I don't like to have to plan every day. My wife really does not like to plan every day out. I don't like not knowing where we will stay. How does everyone else do it?
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I make reservation's for weekends, holidays, and popular campgrounds in popular areas. Also watch out for school breaks.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I live here. I make reservations every time I want to camp at the beach no matter the month. I might be willing to wing it Tue-Thurs. But if I really want to stay in a particular park on a particular date... make reservations.

If you'll be in Oregon in July, you should try to attend the Oregon Coast Gathering, July 20-23 in Bandon, OR
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I live here. I make reservations every time I want to camp at the beach no matter the month. I might be willing to wing it Tue-Thurs. But if I really want to stay in a particular park on a particular date... make reservations.
Same goes for Washington State but I don't think I'd wing it even during weekdays.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19'
Last summer we drove from CA to WA through eastern OR, starting the day before July 4th and I think with exception of the first night and last night (weekends) we didn't have too much trouble finding camping spots (even stayed at crater lake campground for two days). I think it depends on what kind of campsite you want, do you always want proper campground? or does the BLM/NF dispersed camps good enough? I would imagine with a hard sided camper you have a little more options than we did last year.. (we have a fold out tent on the trailer). carry BLM maps and National Forest MVUM might help.

(First night we camped at a semi crowded NF dispersed area, last night the folks at one of the WA state park campground along the Columbia river sent us a bit more inland to another WA state park campground)
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
The only way to get a spot on my two favorite campgrounds is to make reservations: Watchman Campground at Zion National Park and Clear Creek Campground, Golden, CO. On our upcoming trip, we will be driving by both of them, but can't into either.

Basically, most state and National Park Campgrounds with hookups you need reservations. Now I've camped at the South Campground at Zion with no reservation, 100% success finding a site any time of year. The key has been to arrive early, say 10AM. Show up at 3PM and they are full. South Campground has no hookups, and Zion is hot in the summer. So electricity so I can run the A/C is a must.

We really, really like the freedom of traveling without reservations. Unfortunately, reservations are a must when camping in prime time.

When we lived in Seattle, we camped a lot at FS campgrounds. Most were primitive, outhouse only. We were camping in the mountains so the lack of AC was not an issue.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
One thing that we found when towing from BC to North Carolina was don't believe the "campground full" signs. When you see them, proceed to the campground hosts to find out if there is something still open. Can't count how many times we saw those "fake news" signs!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
). carry BLM maps and National Forest MVUM might help.
Where can you get the BLM and National Forest maps?
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19'
[QUOTE=hrewer;191090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
). carry BLM maps and National Forest MVUM might help.

check the BLM or National Forest website for the ones you plan to visit or will be on the way...most of them have a camping section too (that has campgrounds and dispersed) also check their dispersed camping rules and sometimes they will list the popular dispersed sites too. For national forests they usually have the motor vehicles use maps (MVUM) that will show you the forest roads (but not road conditions), also if you will be driving by any of the ranger stations or BLM offices during business hours you can usually ask them for camping info.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #10

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
NFS maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
hrewer,

Here is link to NFS online maps.

https://apps.fs.usda.gov/TravelAccess/
Old 04-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Calling for reservations a day or 2 in advance

Many times, while we are traveling, we will call/get on line a day or 2 in advance to make reservations. This way we have the freedom of changing our plans while we travel, we know a little in advance if there is no room and look for an alternative, and we are one step ahead of a walk in.

We are fortunate and have access to military bases, so we use those campgrounds when available. Even so, each seems to have it's own set of rules about making or not making reservations.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #13

Thank you Mike and Donna!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We are fortunate and have access to military bases, so we use those campgrounds when available. Even so, each seems to have it's own set of rules about making or not making reservations.
Indeed. For example, Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque does not take reservations. It is a great location for visiting ABQ, though. And yesterday I discovered that Lackland AFB FamCamp in San Antonio doesn't take reservations, either. Their recording said they don't take reservations, but the campground is full, anyway. Hmm.

A good reference for military campgrounds is the Allstays CRV Military app, but their main camping and RV app also has military campgrounds.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote