Canada travel advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2023, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Canada travel advice

We are going to Banff and Jasper this summer, will be in Canada for only about 10 days. Can we get by strictly using our credit cards or will it be necessary to exchange some currency?
ousooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Probably if you're staying mainstream, not going to private places that might not take a credit card. We travel a lot and most times I never use any currency.

Bring some US$ as a backup. Worst case if you have to use it is the exchange rate might not be ideal.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner View Post
We are going to Banff and Jasper this summer, will be in Canada for only about 10 days. Can we get by strictly using our credit cards or will it be necessary to exchange some currency?
Hi: ousooner... Our Banks are somewhat friendly and for a fee will supply an exchange if needed. We even have the ability to take debit cards.
My advice would be to bring a tank full of fuel. It's very expensive here and sold by the liter!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
On my trip to and from Alaska last year, 30 days were spent in Canada. The only cash I used was for laundry and one campground took cash only. (And they were happy to accept US dollars!)
Old 05-04-2023, 09:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Take the bear spray And, keep it handy - no more than 5 seconds draw! We had 6 encounters while hiking in that area. They were friendly Canadian grizzlies but not everyone is friendly, even in Canada.

As for money saving tip - escape artist's suggestion to get gas before getting into CA will save you more than any currency exchange fees.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
In our experience most places in Canada will take your credit card or debt card (when out of the US put the debt card through as credit or it often will not work).
Get yourself a travel credit card that does not charge the foreign transaction fee...they can really add up! Make sure you have the credit card fraud alert set up and let them know you will be out of the country(many don't do this anymore but worth checking).

Like others have said enter Canada with a full tank of gas as it is expensive there. You can often bring some Canadian cash with you but you don't need a lot. Go to your bank at home and ask them to get you some or use your ATM in Canada to get some.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Take the bear spray And, keep it handy - no more than 5 seconds draw! We had 6 encounters while hiking in that area. They were friendly Canadian grizzlies but not everyone is friendly, even in Canada.

As for money saving tip - escape artist's suggestion to get gas before getting into CA will save you more than any currency exchange fees.
Second on that bear spray. Very large black bear in our campground, mama griz and cub, all kinds of bear scat on a 5 mile hike to some falls. Enjoy!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
You won’t need much Canadian $$. I just go to an ATM and withdraw a small amount. I add up any left over and use it at the last gas stop. It’s a good way to use up coins in particular.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:

We always hike with bear spray but don't panic if you see a grizzly in a campsite. This guy wandered through our Jasper campsite munching dandelions and ignoring us sitting less than 20' from him. We slowly moved slightly further away close to the trailer door.

The park wardens had showed up and sat in their vehicle nearby and watched the bear meander through several campsites. No doubt if there had been a conflict they would have intervened but eventually the big bruin wandered back into the forest. Fortunately no one was stupid enough to try and pose for a selfie or feed it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
26-07-2021 8-30-57 PM_0582_resize.jpg   26-07-2021 8-32-41 PM_0585_resize.jpg  
Old 05-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Remember to top off your propane tanks before you enter Canada or make sure they're new enough not to require requalification. Our experience has been that Canada propane tank refillers are much more strict about refilling expired tanks than in the US.

Canadian Federal Regulations dictate that portable propane cylinders “expire” 10 years after their original date of manufacture. After this date, they must be “requalified” by a Certified Professional before they can legally be refilled.
At a minimum, requalification involves replacing the pressure relief valve, testing the function of the other valves, documenting an external visual inspection, and performing a mandatory leak test. Not cheap. That's why there are lots of expired propane tanks lying around in Canada.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post

Canadian Federal Regulations dictate that portable propane cylinders “expire” 10 years after their original date of manufacture. After this date, they must be “requalified” by a Certified Professional before they can legally be refilled.
At a minimum, requalification involves replacing the pressure relief valve, testing the function of the other valves, documenting an external visual inspection, and performing a mandatory leak test. Not cheap. That's why there are lots of expired propane tanks lying around in Canada.
I agree, I don't think that my tanks have ever been checked before filling in the US but are pretty much every time I fill up at home.

I've had tanks re-certified but you're right, it is expensive and barely break even for a 20# tank. The only tanks that I have re-certified are the 10# tanks, still cheaper than replacing the more costly 10# size.

Ron
Old 05-04-2023, 01:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Normally the person filling my tank will check for the date stamp and look for rust, and that's it. But yesterday the woman filling my tank couldn't find the date stamp and was put off by paint flaking from the tank. I found the stamp "6-16" for her and told her that I had repainted the tank and that paint was flaking off. She told me that I am not supposed to repaint propane tanks. Is that right?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Take the bear spray And, keep it handy - no more than 5 seconds draw!

A few years ago a ranger in Jasper told me a colleague was swiped off a bike by a grizzly. His bear spray was in his backpack, out of reach. He survived the attack only because the bear bit into the backpack and set off the spray.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Normally the person filling my tank will check for the date stamp and look for rust, and that's it. But yesterday the woman filling my tank couldn't find the date stamp and was put off by paint flaking from the tank. I found the stamp "6-16" for her and told her that I had repainted the tank and that paint was flaking off. She told me that I am not supposed to repaint propane tanks. Is that right?
CAN I PAINT MY PROPANE TANK?

https://lingas.com/hot-topics/can-paint-propane-tank/

Large or small, a propane tank can sometimes be an obvious addition to a home’s landscape. It’s only natural that a homeowner would want his landscape to be attractive, and a propane tank can seem quite an obstacle in this instance.

Because of this, one question we frequently field is “can I paint my propane tank?”

The short answer is YES, you can paint your propane tank. It’s important to remember, however, that you can’t paint it just any color, nor can you use just any paint.

What colors?
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has set standards for the color of propane tanks. At the most basic, these standards state that tanks should be painted a light, reflective color. In fact, there are several restrictions on the color and type of paint that should be used. Not only does the NFPA set standards, there are also federal and state laws (the latter of which depend on where you live) that also figure into safety and serviceability of your propane tank. Common colors used for propane tanks include silver, white, and light gray. Other light colors such as beige or pastel colors may also be acceptable; contact your propane supplier for guidance on this issue.

Why?
Think back to science class. You likely learned that dark colors absorb heat, while lighter colors reflect it. As a compressed gas, propane is affected by expansion and contraction based on temperature. A dark-colored tank surface absorbs heat and causes expansion of the gas, the pressure of which can lead to the safety valve on your tank opening, causing gas to escape. Another issue is the combustibility of propane; exposing the contents of a propane tank to high temperatures through the absorption of heat due to a dark paint color can create a significant risk for combustion.

What type of paint should I use?
Only paint designed specifically for metal surfaces should be used to paint your propane tank. This paint includes a rust inhibitor, which is important for the structural integrity of your tank. Keeping your tank rust-free or arresting the development of rust on your tank will go a long way toward the safety and longevity of your tank.

What if my tank has rust?
Rust on a propane tank should be addressed before you paint. Rust is a dark color and will contribute to the absorption of heat, as well as lead to pitting of the tank’s surface, which can damage the structural integrity of the tank. Rust should be removed with a wire brush or sandpaper before painting. An excessively rusted tank may need to be replaced – consult your propane supplier if you have any question about what constitutes too much rust.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I go through my life without using cash even once in a typical month, so you are unlikely to need cash in a ten-day visit.

There's the occasional odd thing such as a public transit system that takes cash fares and not credit or debit cards, but you can usually purchase a ticket or day pass for them with a card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
You won’t need much Canadian $$. I just go to an ATM and withdraw a small amount. I add up any left over and use it at the last gas stop. It’s a good way to use up coins in particular.
This is the practical way to avoid exchanging currency or dealing with trying to use a foreign currency. That's what I have done for decades in the USA and Mexico - just take out local currency where I need it, or when I arrive to have some emergency cash. I wouldn't want to take out too much, because I don't want to convert it back (and currency exchanges typically don't handle coins at all).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... But yesterday the woman filling my tank couldn't find the date stamp and was put off by paint flaking from the tank. I found the stamp "6-16" for her and told her that I had repainted the tank and that paint was flaking off. She told me that I am not supposed to repaint propane tanks. Is that right?
I don't know about legal requirements, but do-it-yourself painting is not advisable because it can hide damage (such as corrosion). If anyone ever checked the condition of my propane cylinders (I think only Costco has ever checked) I wouldn't be surprised if they challenged a repainted tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:56 PM   #17

As usual, different folks, different experiences. With 40 years of having propane tanks in boats in salt water I've painted a few tanks. I use a beige paint not very much different from factory paint. Never any problem doing that.

Ron
Old 05-04-2023, 05:55 PM   #18
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
We went to Jasper and Banff last year and it was epic! From our experience here's our 2 cents:

Our recommendation is once you cross the border into Canada, find an ATM and take out enough Canadian currency to fill your gas tank at least once.

When we were in Canada last year, a traffic accident took out a power pole that also carried the main fiber-optic for all cell phone data and internet for a large region of northern BC. All the credit card machines were down because of it for 3 days. Thus, gas stations would only sell you gas if you had cash. Grateful we had the cash.

Another reason to get some local currency is that it makes it easy to get $1 and $2 Canadian coins (Loonies/Toonies). These coins are used for laundry machines, vending machines, parking meters, etc. We found that many stores, campground offices, etc. would readily exchange Canadian paper currency for their coins.

On your last day or two in Canada, you can check how much local currency you have left. We used our last remaining cash on filling up our gas tank before crossing back into the US.

One more recommendation – check your credit/ATM cards. It is likely some may charge an additional “international fee” if you use the card in Canada. However, many other cards do not charge this fee. In my wallet, one card did, and the other did not. This could save you 1-2%.

Happy Jasper and Banff trails! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:06 PM   #19

Quote:
A few years ago a ranger in Jasper told me a colleague was swiped off a bike by a grizzly. His bear spray was in his backpack, out of reach. He survived the attack only because the bear bit into the backpack and set off the spray.
We had a ranger tell me that typical reaction time available for a hiker in a bear attack is about 6-seconds. That's why I recommended 5-second response time to the OP

As the story goes - we encountered a large bear (think it was a black bear but not sure) half an hour after the chat with the ranger. We had plenty of time to get the bear spray out but were disappointed that the bear wasn't following the script in the training manual It was less than 50 yards away when we both saw each other - and sauntering towards us - and the distance was dropping fast. Thankfully it decided to veer off about 20 yards away. It wasn't showing any outward aggression - so we held back from spraying (to the point it was probably useless).
Old 05-04-2023, 08:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is the practical way to avoid exchanging currency or dealing with trying to use a foreign currency. That's what I have done for decades in the USA and Mexico - just take out local currency where I need it, or when I arrive to have some emergency cash. I wouldn't want to take out too much, because I don't want to convert it back (and currency exchanges typically don't handle coins at all).
Only true cashless country I have come across is Iceland. Anywhere else, I'd follow what Brian B-P says and keep some local money in the pocket. There is never an ATM around if you end up needing it in an emergency.