Canadian Border Crossings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Canadian Border Crossings

Hello Everyone,
I'm starting to plan a trip to bring my trailer home to Alaska. Wanting to travel North towards the end of this month. Yes, I'm packing my long underwater.

Does anyone have suggestions on being allowed to cross the Canadian border? My truck and trailer are both registered in Alaska and I will be returning home. Wishing a straight through passage.

Thanks ahead for any help!

Tom
Old 10-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
A ferry ride from Bellingham? Probably costs 3 months wages maybe.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd go here for accurate, up-to-date information:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
Old 10-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
My sister and her husband were able to drive through Canada to go home to Alaska in June. And then in September my brother in law and my nephew were allowed to drive through Canada to Washington with his boat since he had moved to Washington in 2020. So my guess is- yes. But they follow you closely. You aren't allowed to do anything but drive straight through, and they know how long that should take you, and call while you are on the road and when you should have reached Alaska. Big fines if you are found doing the stuff that isn't allowed (though I forget what all that is.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
But they follow you closely. You aren't allowed to do anything but drive straight through, and they know how long that should take you, and call while you are on the road and when you should have reached Alaska. Big fines if you are found doing the stuff that isn't allowed (though I forget what all that is.)
Yup, that's pretty much it. Those with a legitimate reason to transit Canada can. The reason for the tighter rules is that the situation was badly abused at first. Things like a car in transit to Alaska spotted in downtown Vancouver sightseeing.

Hmm, too bad that I can't get a pass to transit the US on my way to Baja.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I am hoping they relax things to the point of allowing legitimate business (like Dan picking up his boat - or me getting my awning!) eventually. I can't see the border opening to tourism any time soon.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd go here for accurate, up-to-date information:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
Thank you Glenn, that was the info I was looking for!

Tom
Old 10-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
A ferry ride from Bellingham? Probably costs 3 months wages maybe.
Hi Myron,
This time of year especially, the ferry makes sense. Unfortunately the ferries have become pretty expensive. Considering everything, I'm watching my pennies. Thanks for the suggestion.

Departure from Juneau to Bellingham (same price going other way):
Myself and 18' Tacoma (no trailer)on 10/31 = $2165.00
On 11/11 = $1839.00, on 11/25 = $1701.00

Hmmmm

Tom
Old 10-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
I am hoping we can transit Canada for my high school reunion in Anchorage next May.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm starting to plan a trip to bring my trailer home to Alaska. Wanting to travel North towards the end of this month. Yes, I'm packing my long underwater.

Does anyone have suggestions on being allowed to cross the Canadian border? My truck and trailer are both registered in Alaska and I will be returning home. Wishing a straight through passage.

Thanks ahead for any help!

Tom
To my knowledge with your vehicles registered in Alaska and it is your residence you are allowed to pass through Canada.

COVID-19: Stricter rules for foreign nationals transiting through Canada to Alaska

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is announcing that as of July 31, 2020, at 12:01 am PDT stricter rules and additional entry conditions will be imposed on travellers transiting through Canada to Alaska for a non-discretionary purpose. These measures are put in place to further reduce the risk of introduction of COVID-19 cases and to minimize the amount of time that in-transit travellers are in Canada.

More specifically, in-transit foreign nationals:

must enter Canada at one of the five identified CBSA ports of entry (POE)
Abbotsford-Huntingdon (British Columbia)
Coutts (Alberta)
Kingsgate (British Columbia)
North Portal (Saskatchewan)
Osoyoos (British Columbia)
will be allowed a reasonable period of stay to carry out the transit
will be limited to travel within Canada using the most direct route from the POE to the intended POE of exit, while avoiding all national parks, leisure sites and tourism activities
will be required, before entering the U.S., to report to the nearest CBSA POE to confirm their exit from Canada
In-transit travellers will be issued a vehicle “hang tag” to be attached to their rear view mirror for the duration of their trip to or from Alaska to support compliance while they are in Canada. The front of the tag will make it clear that the travellers are transiting and include the date they must depart Canada. The back of the tag will remind travellers to comply with all conditions imposed upon entry and the Quarantine and Emergencies Acts and a list of public health and safety measures to follow.

These measures also apply to foreign nationals transiting to the U.S. through Canada from Alaska. However, entry into Canada from Alaska on the northern border is not limited to designated POEs. Additional measures might be imposed at time of entry by a border services officer (BSO).

Upon arrival at one of the designated POE, in-transit travellers must satisfy a BSO that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. Travellers are encouraged to have documentation that will demonstrate their purpose of travel. The final decision is made by a BSO, based on the information available to them at time of entry.

Following admission into Canada, in-transit travellers are provided with a Public Health Agency of Canada handout. The document clearly states that travellers should:

avoid contact with others while in transit
remain in the vehicle as much as possible
not make any unnecessary stops
practice physical distancing at all times
pay at the pump if they need gas
use a drive through if they need food
wear a suitable mask or face covering while in transit
ensure good hygiene practices if they need to use a rest area
In-transit travellers are encouraged to use only those services that are open to travellers along the direct route on which they are travelling.

Travellers who arrive at a non-identified POE for the purpose of transiting to Alaska will be denied entry and advised to go to one of the five identified POEs.

No matter the reason for travel, all foreign nationals who have COVID-19 or exhibit any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada.

Providing false information to a BSO may lead to consequences such as being denied entry and/or banned from returning to Canada.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, that's pretty much it. Those with a legitimate reason to transit Canada can. The reason for the tighter rules is that the situation was badly abused at first. Things like a car in transit to Alaska spotted in downtown Vancouver sightseeing.

Hmm, too bad that I can't get a pass to transit the US on my way to Baja.

Ron
Baja?? I'm afraid to even go through Arizona.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Tom, if you are going to take the ferry from Skagway or Haines I would wait until spring 2021 to move the trailer back home. If you were leaving this week I would think that you would have no problems, but leaving at the end of October you could hit some cold, miserable weather when you head inland from the coastal mountains, (north of Iskut). Kind of a crap shoot that time of year.

The Alaska, Canada section on the open roads forum has a couple of relevant posts about recent travel: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/2.cfm

Scott
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK snowbiker View Post
Tom, if you are going to take the ferry from Skagway or Haines I would wait until spring 2021 to move the trailer back home. If you were leaving this week I would think that you would have no problems, but leaving at the end of October you could hit some cold, miserable weather when you head inland from the coastal mountains, (north of Iskut). Kind of a crap shoot that time of year.

The Alaska, Canada section on the open roads forum has a couple of relevant posts about recent travel: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/2.cfm

Scott
Thank you Scott. Good information there!
Old 10-09-2020, 12:27 AM   #14

Thanks for the info TT!