Canadians are suckers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Son-in-law bought one from Amazon.com and shipped to US post box.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Maybe we US citizens can purchase some of these exorbitant items for our friends up north and transport them to Osoyoos??
Only problem with that Jim is that you will probably be asked at the border if you are bringing in anything for someone else. I get asked that now every time at our home crossing, Fortunately when I had some lumber for my son they did not ask that question otherwise I would have paid taxes but just pretended it was ours covered under our exemption, without lying.

I mush prefer to shop Amazon.com over .ca for example I think my hitch was about twice as much plus I would have paid taxes on that amount, rather than the cheaper US price even with exchange and taxes I had to pay on the much lower price.

I bought online a battery for just over $200 US and picked up at a battery place right on our way home from KS in the spring, was covered under our exemption so paid no tax at all even at pick up in SD. A similar one at Crappy Tire here was $359 then would have had to add 13% tax!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Are we missing something here ? Just wondering why people don't just continue to buy from Amazon.com and have it shipped to there home ? When we bought our electric heater it was from Amazon .com not .ca . Had originally looked on .com for it and .ca was just coming. When I checked .ca and found the price higher I just ordered from .com . While we do not do much on line shopping we did buy several things recently from Amazon .com not .ca because the prices have been consistently higher on everything we looked at . As yet we have received everything as ordered and at the .com price and delivered to our door by UPS .
Old 11-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My experience is that you can't buy from a U.S. site if they have a Canadian site. Try Williams Sonoma US for instance. It recognizes your location and re-directs you to Williams Sonoma Canada.
It's all to do with the relationship between the companies and their agreements between themselves.
Buy a Nikon camera in the US and you will have to return it to the US for service and repairs. Nikon Canada won't touch it.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #25

If I type Amazon into search it automatically gives me .ca .....but if I put in Amazon .com - I get .com and asks me to sign in and there it is ......has not been a problem at all .....but as said we are not big online shoppers .....just last week had some solar Christmas lights sent from and at .com price with free delivery .....
Old 11-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Amazon police are going to catch you..... watch out Gabi....
Old 11-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo;
Buy a Nikon camera in the US and you will have to return it to the US for service and repairs. Nikon Canada won't touch it.
Nor should they if you're referring to warranty issues. It's the responsibility of the retailer in the country of origin. Often times an American product is different in manufacture than a similar Canadian product and the parts may not be available or fit.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #28

Speaking of warranty, I received in the mail yesterday from Dometic a quote to extend my 2 year basic warranty on my traded in RML 8555 another 3 years....
Old 11-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Speaking of warranty, I received in the mail yesterday from Dometic a quote to extend my 2 year basic warranty on my traded in RML 8555 another 3 years....
Hi: cpaharley2008... The big question is...Are you gonna do it? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #30

Quote:
The Amazon police are going to catch you..... watch out Gabi....
Lol........yeah I'm waiting for them .......
Old 11-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Are we missing something here ? Just wondering why people don't just continue to buy from Amazon.com and have it shipped to there home ?
As yet we have received everything as ordered and at the .com price and delivered to our door by UPS .
Often the Amazon.com retailer will not ship to Canada, or will ship for an unknown cost. UPS adds a "customs clearance fee" to shipments crossing the border, dependent on the shipment value (although their costs to do the paperwork don't depend on the value) which can kill the cost savings on some items.

This issue of shipping cost gives retailers in Canada an advantage, which they exploit to varying extents.

Combined with the refusal of some sole-source suppliers to ship from the U.S. to Canada, this can drive cost up substantially. I have checked online sources of Toyota, Ford, and Mazda parts - from legitimate dealers - and in each case the U.S. price (after considering exchange rates) is much lower than the Canadian price... but the U.S. retailer refuses to ship to Canada, giving the Canadian dealers a monopoly which they exploit to double the price.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Lol........yeah I'm waiting for them .......
Just wait until the next time you cross the border and they ask you to pull over to the inspection site and you remember all the times you shopped at Amazon,us in lieu of .ca----they may not let you return....... Welcome to the US citizenship class...
Old 11-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #33

;
Quote:
just wait until the next time you cross the border and they ask you to pull over to the inspection site and you remember all the times you shopped at amazon,us in lieu of .ca----they may not let you return....... Welcome to the us citizenship class...
;d
Old 11-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Just wait until the next time you cross the border and they ask you to pull over to the inspection site and you remember all the times you shopped at Amazon,us in lieu of .ca----they may not let you return....... Welcome to the US citizenship class...
Actually .....if we need to stay in the US .....I will want to buy "Bruno's" !!