Chemical Odour Query - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0
Chemical Odour Query

Hi

I’m beginning to panic a little now after reading comments from many stating formaldehyde/chemical odours that are strong and linger for a long time. We were at the RV Show last fall in Toronto and my wife had a heck of a headache after being in so many trailers (and it wasn’t because of the poor build / quality of most). We could notice the smell right away when we entered each trailer. (I believe the Lance was the only one that seemed to be fine). We toured a 5.0 from the an Ambassador this fall in Mississauga and didn’t notice any odours.

Am I panicking over something that may not be as bad as other trailers or is this also common with Escape trailers.

Thank you in advance for your comments

Doug
Safety Dougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Tho offgassing won’t bother most people, but it will bother some. Think about the new car smell. Could you hop in and drive 500 miles or would that cause you discomfort? For those it bothers, it can be serious, for most of us, it slowly airs out and we really don’t think about it.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Let me preface this by saying that I’m bothered for several hours after the housekeepers leave. I’ll usually kick the bathroom and economizer fans on for an hour or more unless it’s too cold outside, just to get ride of the smell from chlorine/bleach/cleaners.

I was bothered by the smell of our 5.0 from April until September. I left the windows open, ran fans, etc. to get rid of the smell. It’s gone now, but it did bother me for a bit.

My wife was never bothered by it. So, your sensitivity will probably tell you how to deal with it.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #4

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
For those of lesser means you will know the terrible off gassing smell from your friends mobile home.

Our 21C, picked up on 10/24/22, still smells. That’s what non-hardwood cabinetry smells like. It will take a while to off gas the stink.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 21
We never had any issues with “ out gassing smelled “ lucky I guess as it usually bothers me. As far as mobile homes didn’t have that issue either ours doesn’t have the paneling which causes the smell. All Sheetrock inside and not of lesser means !!!!!!!!! Not to be looked down on
Old 01-21-2023, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Dougo View Post
Hi

I’m beginning to panic a little now .................

Doug
It's a fiberglass shell (ever been in a surfboard/boat shop?) , with contact cement of some kind for the insulation, the vinyl "headliner" layer and the floor covering smeared all over the interior shell................it's gonna have a "smell".

Period.

Many will say they "can't smell it....no problem!"

Good for them...............but that doesn't help you.

I'm not sure "formaldehyde" is an item for an Escape. Doubt it.

How old was the 5.0? Age helps in this regard............

If that sort of thing is a problem for you / her though....stay away.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Tho offgassing won’t bother most people, but it will bother some. Think about the new car smell. Could you hop in and drive 500 miles or would that cause you discomfort? For those it bothers, it can be serious, for most of us, it slowly airs out and we really don’t think about it.

This....................
Old 01-21-2023, 10:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0 / Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi 5'7"
It sounds like everyone's had different experiences. I know the smell you're referring to as I've smelled it in other trailers before but we didn't notice anything like that when we picked up our trailer from the factory. Is it possible it's only coming from certain finishing choices like wall material or fabric?
kevin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:03 AM   #9

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
We never had any issues with “ out gassing smelled “ lucky I guess as it usually bothers me. As far as mobile homes didn’t have that issue either ours doesn’t have the paneling which causes the smell. All Sheetrock inside and not of lesser means !!!!!!!!! Not to be looked down on
My apologies.

Yours would be what I call a modular home. My friend has one on a concrete foundation with a basement. You would never know it wasn't hand built on site.

Those are very nice and much different to those cheap "mobile homes" I was referring, with 2x2 walls, paneling on all the walls & ceilings, plastic toilets & sinks and a non-shingled arched roof. Those are basically big stick built Jayco travel trailers.

I had a few friends who had them back in the day. Most even came furnished with not so high quality furniture. They were so bad they would make your eyes burn.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
It's a fiberglass shell (ever been in a surfboard/boat shop?) , with contact cement of some kind for the insulation, the vinyl "headliner" layer and the floor covering smeared all over the interior shell................it's gonna have a "smell".
That’s exactly what bothered me, the contact cement curing. It takes a while.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:35 PM   #11

Cushion fabrics............interesting

I just swapped out all the cushion fabric, and removed all of the valences, went from Tenancity Harvest to Chinchilla Ultraleather.

The strong "new" (gag) smell in the trailer decreased by about 85% almost immediately. Pleasantly surprised.

The foam cushions hardly had any odor at all, though getting them in the new covers was like wrestling a bear! Think I'll just leave the new valences off for now..........kinda like the look better.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0
Hi - that IS interesting. We will have the bench type seating arrangement (although we'll have the valences) so we will see how it goes.

Thanks for your reply and SAFE & HEALTHY travels!

Doug
Thunder Bay
Safety Dougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Dougo View Post
Hi - that IS interesting. We will have the bench type seating arrangement (although we'll have the valences) so we will see how it goes.

Thanks for your reply and SAFE & HEALTHY travels!

Doug
Thunder Bay
I did the swap for looks, as I hate the Tenacity Harvest look, (inventory trailer), but was pleased with the unexpected odor reduction with the Chincilla Ultraleather.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Unloading your old covers?

I bought used, and the original owner had a custom fabric used for the cushions. I kinda get an "ice cream headache" looking at them. I tried dyeing a pillow done in that fabric, and it didn't turn out too well.
I don't need different covers, but I will inquire what you intend to do with them. Got a price?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
When we picked up our 21C a month ago we noticed a slight odor, but it went away quickly. A couple of weeks later we had a guest that commented on it, but I guess we got used to it, no problem.

Or maybe WillyB has the answer (quoted out of context):" you will know the terrible off gassing smell from your friends"
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
When we picked up our 21C a month ago we noticed a slight odor, but it went away quickly. A couple of weeks later we had a guest that commented on it, but I guess we got used to it, no problem.......

Which fabric?
Old 02-15-2023, 07:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
It’s going to smell strong after it’s built. If your picking up at the factory, try to plan a pickup date where you can leave the windows open if your camping on the way home. Don’t pickup in February and spend the night when all the windows are closed. That’s a problem. New house, new car, new trailer, new mattress, they all smell when new.

My 2007 still smelled new if it was closed up for weeks, crack the windows and it was fine.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
I just swapped out all the cushion fabric, and removed all of the valences, went from Tenancity Harvest to Chinchilla Ultraleather.

The strong "new" (gag) smell in the trailer decreased by about 85% almost immediately. Pleasantly surprised.

The foam cushions hardly had any odor at all, though getting them in the new covers was like wrestling a bear! Think I'll just leave the new valences off for now..........kinda like the look better.
One solution for stuffing foam into new covers is cushion wrap.