Chocks, locks, and maiden trip items - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Question Chocks, locks, and maiden trip items

Hi Fellow Escapees,
DH & I are getting ready for the drive up to ETI to pick up our new 19' baby in a few weeks!
The time has finally come; the long wait is over!

So, The last items to purchase are the wheel and hitch locks, along with wheel chocks.

1. Can anyone share which type of locks are the most secure, but also easier to physically handle since I have rather weak hands?

So far, as far as quality, sturdiness and reliability go, my research has come up with the hitch lock from Proven Industries. Also, we will use a tire lock, and so far, the Brahma brand looks quite sturdy.

Do you think these two brands are the best combination to have for trailer theft prevention?Any comments or opinions as to any other brands/types that would be secure, as well as best/easiest for me to handle?

2. Ditto for the chocks.. Some owners have opted for a two different chock system to hold the trailer study. What brands and sizes do you recommend, again keeping in mind strength and maneuverability?

3. We want to keep weight at a minimum for our first hauling trip. So besides a couple of kitchen items, and the very basic bedding, clothing and personal items, could you recommend any other items you found to be indispensable for your maiden trip?

4. I have a little lap dog who will be coming along for the adventure. Has anyone had difficulty or issues transporting their canine friends back-and-forth across the border? We have all the documentation including health certificate, updated shot records, etc. Is anything else needed? ( She cannot tolerate boarding at all, so she must come with us . )

Thank you in advance for responding and for your advice. You all have been so incredibly helpful to us newbies along the way, and we appreciate it very much!
Artlady
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We took two dogs with us for our pickup trip. No problem at the border crossings, although you should read up on transporting the pet's food - there can be restrictions on that (Keep it in its original package, if you keep it at all).

We had some credit with ETI from the favorable exchange rate on our purchase, so while there for orientation we added chocks and blocks and a hitch lock to our list. (ETI has a good selection of things that are very useful.) We also bought a new water pressure regulator, a telescoping broom, and the set of suction/cup towel hooks and soap dish/toothbrush holder that they sell.

I can't remember if we purchased our X chocks beforehand or if we got them from ETI, but we do use them whenever the campsite isn't perfectly level, along with the regular under-the-wheel chocks.

We traveled as light as possible on our way to Chilliwack, because we shlepped everything in and out of the motels we stayed in, not wanting our stuff to get swiped out of our tow vehicle; and as soon as we picked up and parked the trailer at the Lynden KOA, we provisioned at the closest Fred Meyer.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Jim Bennett's list in this older posting may help with your own needs Artlady

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...ing-162-3.html
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Thanx, Mary. Certainly seeing the equipment at ETI is a good option. I can physically handle the items first-hand, and see if they would work. Great idea!
Hearing about the food ingredients was something I hadn't considered. So this was very valuable to hear!

BCNomad, I appreciate your response with the link. Yes I had seen this great list, A must-see for initial outfitting, and very comprehensive.
I pared it down significantly for our first trip, but will reference it again as we travel more.
Thanks so much!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote