Choosing the correct Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We had the opportunity to sit in and even camp with both a Casita 17 and a Scamp, but not an Escape. While the two we sat in were plenty big for us, the layouts were cumbersome. I remember telling the wife if there was a front dinette and the bathroom was along the side, how much nicer the layout would be. When I discovered the Escape, it was like Reace and Tammy were reading my mind...lol. Add to that the quality and appearance differences,and we didn't hesitate to buy one, sight unseen.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Exactly our feelings. Reviewing the specs can only get one so far in the decision process - attending a rally and having the opportunity to flop in Dave&Kathies bed in a 21 led us to conclude that was the model for us.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm a single traveler and am buying the largest trailer Escape builds... go figure!

However, I'm also fortunate enough to have owned an all molded towable for 12 years. I love that "little" 16 foot Scamp, but for my future hopes for traveling the layout just won't work.

I know how I've camped for 12 years. I live in the Pacific NorthWET and have camped from the last week of April (Spring NOG) to the second week of October (Fall NOG). But now... I want to experience more. Longer stays and in not so stellar weather. Okay Spring NOG was WET. But as a group we spent most of our time outside, creeping from PahaQue to EZ-Up to someone's awning!

Camping with a group is totally different than camping as a couple and that's really different when camping as a single, especially when the weather is crappy. No one to talk to or eat dinner with inside the trailer, etc. Hence, two televisions and two DVD players are being added.. gonna watch movies when it's stormy out.

My plan is to now camp year around. I hope to get out with my 5er at least one long weekend every single month. I'm fortunate I live about 35 miles from one of the best Oregon State Parks. (Discovery season full hookups $21.00 a night).

So you see... I'm buying based on my future, not my past. I've been there before. As is said, don't look in the rearview mirror, that's already gone by.

I have to admit, the purchase has caused me all kinds of stress and heartburn. I don't turn lose of money easily. I paid less for my first sticks 'n bricks home AND a new car. I want this one to be the last trailer I buy. I believe I've made the right decision. In the future, there will be room to take my granddaughter or even a couple of friends. But, if I find I continue to camp alone, I have everything I need in a fairly small package.

My best advice is to think... really think about what you want/need for your own future, not your past or your current. You'll know when you've made the right decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Bravo Donna, well said. Also our methodology

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm a single traveler and am buying the largest trailer Escape builds... go figure!

However, I'm also fortunate enough to have owned an all molded towable for 12 years. I love that "little" 16 foot Scamp, but for my future hopes for traveling the layout just won't work.

I know how I've camped for 12 years. I live in the Pacific NorthWET and have camped from the last week of April (Spring NOG) to the second week of October (Fall NOG). But now... I want to experience more. Longer stays and in not so stellar weather. Okay Spring NOG was WET. But as a group we spent most of our time outside, creeping from PahaQue to EZ-Up to someone's awning!

Camping with a group is totally different than camping as a couple and that's really different when camping as a single, especially when the weather is crappy. No one to talk to or eat dinner with inside the trailer, etc. Hence, two televisions and two DVD players are being added.. gonna watch movies when it's stormy out.

My plan is to now camp year around. I hope to get out with my 5er at least one long weekend every single month. I'm fortunate I live about 35 miles from one of the best Oregon State Parks. (Discovery season full hookups $21.00 a night).

So you see... I'm buying based on my future, not my past. I've been there before. As is said, don't look in the rearview mirror, that's already gone by.

I have to admit, the purchase has caused me all kinds of stress and heartburn. I don't turn lose of money easily. I paid less for my first sticks 'n bricks home AND a new car. I want this one to be the last trailer I buy. I believe I've made the right decision. In the future, there will be room to take my granddaughter or even a couple of friends. But, if I find I continue to camp alone, I have everything I need in a fairly small package.

My best advice is to think... really think about what you want/need for your own future, not your past or your current. You'll know when you've made the right decision.
We agree Donna. You're going to love your 5er!
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Thanks for all of your answers. Now if Escape could put a 21 ft. interior into a 15 ft. exterior, we would be set.
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #27
Commercial Member

If Escape could pull off a condensed camper like 15 into 21 ft (just sprinkle water on it) I'd want to invest serious $ in them!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Well, the summer flew buy and we are back from Chilliwack. Had a real good time and Tammy and Reace answered all of our questions and then some. We were leaning toward the 19 ft. but after see the 17, 19, and 21 we kind of surprised ourselves. We ordered the 21. I think the deciding factors were not having to crawl over in the bed and the extra room. Cathy's mind was made up the minute she saw it and my thoughts were, "oh wow". Anyway, the way this year flew by we will be headed back up there before we know it. PS, Rush hour in Seattle stinks. Loren
Old 09-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
PS, Rush hour in Seattle stinks. Loren
Which is why one should fly into Bellingham. Use Kayak to find flights. Wife is flying up next week to meet me: SLO-SFO-PDX-BLI; 5.5 hrs. Also,(not on Kayak) Allegiant flies non-stop from LAX to BLI at 10:30 AM 2-3 times a week for around $100.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Which is why one should fly into Bellingham. Use Kayak to find flights. Wife is flying up next week to meet me: SLO-SFO-PDX-BLI; 5.5 hrs. Also,(not on Kayak) Allegiant flies non-stop from LAX to BLI at 10:30 AM 2-3 times a week for around $100.
Flying into Bellingham depends on where you live. In order for us to fly there we have to connect through Seattle. For us, Portland is hundreds more. With the average 2+ hour layover in SeaTac (hey, I didn't make the schedules) I think it's actually quicker (for us) to fly to Vancouver instead. Also, no border crossing, but a quicker customs entry at the airport. We're headed up sometime in early October to do a detailed tour of the trailers and finalize our build sheet.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
From what I remember you're using AA miles. I have miles too, but sometimes its better to buy the tickets. Did you look at going to LAX then going Allegiant? It is 85 miles from Seattle to Bellingham. But just like its only 100 miles from Manhattan Beach to Del Mar, its a long 100 miles.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having owned both a 19' and a 21' Escape, you will appreciate the spaciousness of the 21 over the 19. Regardless of how it is used, you have counter space and a lot more storage. If you like to winter camp, the bed in the 21 is warmer. The queen vs double bed size is only 6" but ease of egress is worth it. You can sit on the bed and put your shoes on, something hard to do in the 19. In addition with the rear dinette, it is all about the view!! But this is your personal choice, mine maybe different.

After comparing both the 19 and 21, that is about how we ended up seeing it. Loren
Old 09-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
After comparing both the 19 and 21, that is about how we ended up seeing it. Loren
I knew I had some Kansas in my blood.....
Old 09-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 "Flight Risk"
Having never seen a 21', I'm really hoping the 19' works out well for us (due Nov. 2014). All this talk of the 21' makes me wonder. Ah well, we can always upgrade later!
JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The 19 is a fantastic trailer, Jaime. Don't listen to the bashing done by others. We have none of the issues of being cold when sleeping, and we have plenty of storage without using the front box. If I want to sit when putting shoes on, there is a dinette right there. Better than using a bed. When we eat, we get a fully unencumbered view, as we are outside almost all the time.

I am one that much prefers the layout of the 19 over the 21, mostly because I like the bed away from the door, and out of the way. After touring the 21, we were very quick to decide that upgrading to it would not be in our future, the new 5.0TA now, that is a different story.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The 19 is a fantastic trailer, Jaime. Don't listen to the bashing done by others. We have none of the issues of being cold when sleeping, and we have plenty of storage without using the front box. If I want to sit when putting shoes on, there is a dinette right there. Better than using a bed.

I am one that much prefers the layout of the 19 over the 21, mostly because I like the bed away from the door, and out of the way.
I tend to agree Jim. The only thing that bugs me about the 21 is the bed as soon as you come in the door. But, I don't think anyone's 'bashing' the 19 -- just discussing pros and cons.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
But, I don't think anyone's 'bashing' the 19 -- just discussing pros and cons.
You are right, a bad choice of words.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You are right, a bad choice of words.
I don't know. I definitely do pick up the feeling that the "little guys" are looked down upon as Escape builds bigger and bigger units (so much for small and lightweight) and buyers say they are "upgrading." I'm just glad there's still a lid for every pot. Or is it pot for every lid?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I always thought upsizing was a better term than upgrading. YMMV

Now, when I traded my old truck for my new truck THAT was upgrading.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #40
Site Team

Donna's right Karen. It's upsizing - not upgrading. Your 15 is one of the best trailers I've seen.