Clam or no Clam - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
... If no see ums are your issue, you need to find out if the screen used in the clam is fine enough. Odds are not good if my experience is any indication.
From the clamoutdoors.com website, at least on some of their models: "Complete with no-see-um mesh and an extra wide skirt will keep all the bugs out!"
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
From the clamoutdoors.com website, at least on some of their models: "Complete with no-see-um mesh and an extra wide skirt will keep all the bugs out!"
Sounds good. Setup looks really quick and easy as well. Might end up on our longer term list...
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #23

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I don't have, and have not used a clam, but I have lots of experience with no see ums. Normal mossie net doesn't even slow the little buggers down, and I have never seen netting fine enough except on higher end backpacking tents. I replaced all our camper screens with proper no see um proof netting - it is far finer than normal screen.

If no see ums are your issue, you need to find out if the screen used in the clam is fine enough. Odds are not good if my experience is any indication.

I have not picked up a clam yet but it is on the list. My wife is a mosquito magnet while I seem to be the last person on earth they want to bite. Sand gnats on the other hand love me. We found both are repelled by Thermacells. The 15 foot repel zone around one would work fine in the biggest Clam and would be perfect for the smaller one we are looking at.
If they can't get through the screen great! The Thermacell will keep them away from the door too.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Quote:
Odds are not good if my experience is any indication.
I dunno. Clam advertises "no-see-um" screens: CLAM Portable Gazebo | Canopy Tent | Screen Popup Tent

We have the large Clam Quick Set, and love it, in our back yard. However, we've taken it camping with the Escape thru fourteen states, but never set it up!
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #25

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Our clam was a 1440 when we bought it, but I don't think they're described like that anymore. It's big enough to put over a campground picnic table.

It will go with us to Huntington Beach State Park in SC in a month. Getting the trailer ready today.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Love our clam. Super easy to put up/down. Got ours at Cabelas because they have one specific to them that has a few extra features.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
My better half likes my solution to no see-em ....bad habit I know but when outside me has to have me pipe see love the smel. that n Lavender plants are great at keeping them away also
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
My better half likes my solution to no see-em ....bad habit I know but when outside me has to have me pipe see love the smel. that n Lavender plants are great at keeping them away also
One drawback to the no see-um screen, breeze is cut back. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
We have the large Clam that I have treated with permethrin spray....
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...methrine+spray

Insects leave the area when I set it up.
It's a pain to carry, but I wouldn't dare leave it at home as Norma & the Girls hate bugs.... fortunately my truck has the 6.5 foot bed which is just long enough.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 E19
I have had a Clam Quick Set Escape (6 sided) in green for 3 years, and I've used it once each year. Seems like most of my trips lately are to places with relatively few mosquitos or other such bugs, and I'm not getting much use out of it. If you happen to be driving through the Tulsa area on your way west and want to save some money on a 'pre-owned' Clam, PM me.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My daughter and son in law have the next to largest clam. They haul it in their Nissan Pathfinder which tows their 1974 boler. We set it up when they camp with us. It will fit 6 lawn chairs, a snack table, cooler, a 40 and a 5 lb dog and if cool, the campfire in a can. They have three rain panels which work well if it's raining. No bugs, very little rain, easy to deploy and strike, third season, good as new. I have an easy up I've quit taking.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We love our Clam but it takes up a LOT of room in our Highlander. We didnd’t end up putting it up last summer unless we were staying a week or more in one spot. But when we did put it up iit was great. Terry is a bug magnet no matter where we go, and he was able to sit out in it in the evenings. That said, we were not in places like Cape Hatteras or Maine where the mosquitoes are intense,
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Hi all,
We are headed out in about a week to make a big loop from St. Louis, MO to the west coast, up to Vancouver, across Canada , down the East coast and back home. We will be in Canada during May through mid-July. Opinions on whether a Clam shelter is advisable with no see-um netting. The biting insects love me , so this is important info to me! Thanks in advance.
We have this one and love it. Has the no-see-um mesh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:43 PM   #34

Trailer: August 2017 17b
When the Clam Corporation Quick-Set Escape Shelter is collapsed/folded up, how big is it? Am trying to imagine how much space it would need, to come along for the ride
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #35

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
When the Clam Corporation Quick-Set Escape Shelter is collapsed/folded up, how big is it? Am trying to imagine how much space it would need, to come along for the ride
Ours is 140" X 140" and fits on the floor of our small Parkliner (15' overall, 12' body). Easy to do even with a small trailer.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #36

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
140" x 140" Orig. green Clam I think it was the 1660 model at the time. "Includes six deluxe tent stakes, tie down ropes and oversized carry bag, Pack size: 72" x 8" x 8" " quoted from Amazon.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:34 AM   #37

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:41 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
It fits in the rear storage of our 19. Can also lay it on the floor inside the trailer.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #39

...can probably strap it to Highlander roof rack.... Am not putting the rack to use yet anyhow.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Quote:
A little over a foot square by about six feet long in the original shipping box, which is how we pack it.
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote