Clam or no Clam - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
It fits in the rear storage of our 19. Can also lay it on the floor inside the trailer.
Does it fit in through the side hatch, or do you have to put it under from inside the trailer?

If it is sold as 8"x8", I assume when it's unpacked and re-packed, getting it back to 8" is a challenge, and that small side hatch on the 19' doesn't leave you much room...

Getting stuff in and out through that side hatch has always been a burr in my Escaping...

Thanks...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #42

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
At 31 pounds (according to our bathroom scales), it would be a bit of a challenge to maneuver through a small hatch. Luckily, we've been able to just lay it down in the back of our Highlander (rear seat folded down) or bed of our F-150.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #43

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Does it fit in through the side hatch, or do you have to put it under from inside the trailer?

If it is sold as 8"x8", I assume when it's unpacked and re-packed, getting it back to 8" is a challenge, and that small side hatch on the 19' doesn't leave you much room...

Getting stuff in and out through that side hatch has always been a burr in my Escaping...

Thanks...
One of the few camp items that is actually easy to fit back in its carrying bag. Also it fits on the floor of our 16' Scamp just right. Sometimes I don't set it up if we are only staying a day, I just take it out and put it on one of the picnic bench seats. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Ours is 140" X 140" and fits on the floor of our small Parkliner (15' overall, 12' body). Easy to do even with a small trailer.

Frank
Do you not find it in the way a lot when not setting it up?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
The Clam is a commitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I'm glad we have our Clam, but honestly, if I'd been thinking clearly we wouldn't have purchased it. So I'm glad I wasn't thinking clearly.

We took way too much stuff last summer. You would think it was our first time going anywhere. Somehow the packing got a little chaotic and I didn't pay much attention to what Terry was loading into the Highlander and the trailer -- the two cases of wine, the humidor for his cigars, the extra fishing gear (one rod didn't have a case and had to be packed really carefully so as not to destroy it). I had my nearly full size guitar and we had three chairs for two people. I'd also insisted on taking a barbecue grill (which we used a LOT) Oh and don't forget the electric fan that I thought would keep the mosquitoes away outside. Hah! Terry mumbled something about reorganizing once we got on the road.

When we got to our first campground and I took a serious look I nearly passed out. When I started to complain about the fishing gear he just pointed to the Clam, nestled thickly against the side and extending from the rear hatch to the back of the passenger side seat. It was a pain. Cumbersome and heavy.

Terry just laughed. I got so annoyed that I told him that when we finally got to the Tetons we'd use it and sell it. The funny thing is that so many people came by to admire it that I think we really could have sold it.

But once we started using it no way was Terry ever going camping again without his beloved Clam. We ate in it every day. Even when it rained it stayed mostly dry. And it really was easy to set up and take down. It was like having a private outdoor space.

Next time we'll take the Clam but other things will stay home.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That would be my problem. While I like the Clam when compared to an Easy Up, particularly in a buggy campground, I travel for months at a time. The Clam is too long to fit in the truck bed, and while it would fit on the floor of the 21, it sure would be in the way if I didn't need to set it up.

Great for weekend trips, but not so sure for long time travelers with short bed trucks.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #47

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
That would be my problem. While I like the Clam when compared to an Easy Up, particularly in a buggy campground, I travel for months at a time. The Clam is too long to fit in the truck bed, and while it would fit on the floor of the 21, it sure would be in the way if I didn't need to set it up.

Great for weekend trips, but not so sure for long time travelers with short bed trucks.
Perhaps the smaller one would work for you, since you are one. 53" x 7" x 7". Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #48

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

We take it out if we're not going to use it and slide it under the trailer! Easy to do.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
One drawback to the no see-um screen, breeze is cut back. Carl
We found the clam significantly cuts down on the breeze. We bring a box fan and set it up inside when it is hot.

Our Casita didn't have an awning, so we used the Clam. We really liked it and carried it on the 4Runner roof rack. We now have a Tundra and carry it inside the bed.

The Clam also makes a good garage for my bicycles and my wife's trike.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Thanks...
Yes, it can go in through the side hatch at an angle. Whether or not this is workable for you really depends on how much stuff you need to pack as it does impact the amount of floor space under the bed available for storage.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
This is what we have. It’s heavier but not as long. Would definitely fit in a 5 foot truck bed. When we first put it up, it took 10-15 minuutes. We can get it up in less than 5 now. Can remove screens and use as canopy and the solid walls that go over the screen were included. Also, two entry points. Very solid screen room.

Coleman Instant Canopy with Screen Walls, 12 x 10-ft | Canadian Tire
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Same item on Amazon is $180 USD, or around $230 CAD. $200 CAD more in Canada. Wow. I thought this whole free trade agreement thing meant the free flow of goods between north American countries and similar valuation. Seems to a Texas observer that Canadians are often getting the short end of the stick.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Same item on Amazon is $180 USD, or around $230 CAD. $200 CAD more in Canada. Wow. I thought this whole free trade agreement thing meant the free flow of goods between north American countries and similar valuation. Seems to a Texas observer that Canadians are often getting the short end of the stick.
Hi: rbryan4... It always costs us Canadians more "Clams" no matter what it is!!! Our brass buck is less than a green back and gas is a whopping $1.35 a litre. Everything is way outta wack. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Gas in Vancouver was $1.58.9 a litre last week, so quit your complaining.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Gas in Vancouver was $1.58.9 a litre last week, so quit your complaining.
Hi: gbaglo... But you guys got those high priced homes to live in!!! It's all relative Eh?
Headin' west to the rally we'll stick to the interstates and just pop up into BC, with a full tank, at the last minute. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I was just speaking to trademasters about 7 pin wiring for my new highlander and a new brake controller. i had the option of purchasing in usa or ca. even after the conversion rate, it was almost $100 usa cheaper here. that's a lot!
Old 04-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gasoline in southern Iowa is 2.59 a gallon and ice cream at the Old Dutchman’s
Store in Cantril Iowa is $.75 a bowl. This sucker weighed exactly a pound when I put my spoon in it on the candy scale.
Great birding and wildlife watching, cold beer and a hot campfire. Camping, water and
Electric $17. Minnows are $ 2.34 a Scoop ( about three dozen).
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
397761B5-DFAC-4B61-B19D-729699F540EA.jpg   6CD051DB-7591-4B66-BC25-A55DDAD143B3.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #58

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Same item on Amazon is $180 USD, or around $230 CAD. $200 CAD more in Canada. Wow. I thought this whole free trade agreement thing meant the free flow of goods between north American countries and similar valuation.
"Free trade" is a great thing (which allows Escape to sell in the U.S. without excessive expense) but it just means a lack of government restrictions and tariffs, for qualifying goods. It doesn't address the cost of shipping (including the extortion of "brokerage fees" by courier companies), or require any company to sell across the border, so Canada and the U.S. are certainly still distinct markets. In the smaller market, many things are more expensive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I know. My comments were tongue in cheek. Except for the fact that it seems Canadians have to pay exorbitant prices for lots of things they shouldn't. And you named that whole brokerage fee thing appropriately: extortion.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Gazelle

Picked up a gazelle, bit smaller than the full size clam, 5 minute setup.

Bought it through ebay auction, resonable. Picked it up at the border on my way south.
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote