Cold cold cold - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Cold cold cold

Just wanted to send out warm wishes to all of the Escape community as the temperatures drop. Stay warm. Beautiful camping weather will be here before you know it. Iowa Dave it's going to be a 3 dog, 4 dog,5 dog, well a whatever dog night.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Next week they are calling for near 5o degrees here on Tuesday.....I'm ready for spring and May can not come any sooner.....
Old 01-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wooly bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Just wanted to send out warm wishes to all of the Escape community as the temperatures drop. Stay warm. Beautiful camping weather will be here before you know it. Iowa Dave it's going to be a 3 dog, 4 dog,5 dog, well a whatever dog night.
Jakey sleeps with me when it gets real cold. I have a big Hudson Bay blanket and do pretty well with that. Put new windows in the cabin this summer and they are making a difference. The Geo thermal is keeping up real well and I put a new blower fan motor on the gas fireplace about a month ago so am moving a lot more air. Even with the power out, the fireplace puts out pretty good and the thermal mass in the logs holds the temp real well too. I have 6 twenty pound propane tanks so I can always get a boost from a propane heater like my Buddy heater. I’ve only done that once in 12 years when the power was out for three days. Living the motto I am
Iowa “Scoutmaster” Dave
Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Here's another than came up on my Facebook timeline. All I could think, is I was grateful Ian Giles planned the 50th Boler event in Winnipeg in August and NOT January.

I'm not sure I could survive this kind of cold. I'd be in a corner of the house, covered in blankets and probably sobbing. And that's with the heat turned on!

Be safe everyone, truly.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The coldest temperature I ever saw was 56 below zero . I was working on the load out racks on a new taconite plant in Northern Minnesota . They finally sent us home cause it was too cold to work and nothing was getting accomplished . We went and bought a couple bottles of snowshoe grog and went snowmobiling .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
By the way, not to tick anyone off too much, in Vancouver we have early flowering crocus bulbs coming up! Normally they bloom mid-February, but not usually quite this early.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here's another than came up on my Facebook timeline. All I could think, is I was grateful Ian Giles planned the 50th Boler event in Winnipeg in August and NOT January.

I'm not sure I could survive this kind of cold. I'd be in a corner of the house, covered in blankets and probably sobbing. And that's with the heat turned on!

Be safe everyone, truly.

Yikes! Me too.

I've seen super cold twice. Both times, I had turned on the truck defroster full blast to let the windshield "warm up slowly". I remember breathing into the cold air blasting in my face and it turning into mini snow "flakes" (true story!). On one of these fine mornings, the transmission was froze too so I could not get the truck in gear (manual transmission) so I got to stay home and sip hot chocolate all day. That was a hoot.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Cold...

First time I went to Upper Michigan, from Chicago, to ski, it was -40F the first night. The hotel manager told us to plug in the car near the house. What plug? Had to start the car every 2 hours though the night to be sure it would start in the AM. Every time I opened the motel door to the outside a fog would drift from the door across the room. Didn't keep the door open long! Warmed up to -10 the next day so we bought lift tickets. Three runs down the hill then it was into the lodge for an hour to warm up. We were a lot younger then, and maybe, not as smart. That is, I hope I'm smarter now.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
You have to watch those "temperature" reports... sometimes they are wind chill numbers. For instance, a couple days ago the overnight low temperature in Winnipeg was -29 °C; the report of -52 °C was presumably the "feels like" temperature resulting from a wind chill calculation. It's colder there now, but still nowhere near -52 °C.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
The hotel manager told us to plug in the car near the house. What plug? Had to start the car every 2 hours though the night to be sure it would start in the AM.
I was in a northern (way north of here) community overnight on business once, and had a company truck. I was a little disturbed to hear the truck start up by itself as I was going to sleep - no one had told me that the remote start system had a mode which keeps the vehicle warm enough by automatically starting it up occasionally. I asked a local the next why they didn't just plug their vehicles in, which is when I learned about power costs in isolated northern communities.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Living in Fairbanks and working for the railroad gave me many experiences working at -30F and much colder. Odd thing was that it wasn't working outside for hours on end in those temps that bugged me, it was the off duty activities like going to the grocery store, movies, gym, etc that was just no fun. For the most part we just didn't shut our vehicles off if we couldn't plug them in (before auto starts became available & reliable).

Never thought a few days of extreme cold was bad but after 5-7 days, things just started to fail...

I can say I'll take -40F with little to no wind anytime over 0 degrees with wind gusting 20-30 mph.

Hope you all stay warm down there It is a balmy 34F in Anchorage
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I remember a night in Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania (33 miles south of Erie) back in 1962, when it got to fifty degrees F below zero. Walking down the middle of Main Street at 10 PM, on our way to get a hambolie at the little diner beside the Erie Lackawanna tracks - we sensed our nose hairs were breaking off.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
I lived in Fairbanks from 1972 till 1984. We had several winters that -65° F would hit and stay for 2-3 weeks. We heated with wood and would head into winter with 10 cords. At -65°F we went through a cord every 4 days, it was scarey.

One winter I took a dispatch through the union to Prudhoe Bay for 1 week. Was up there for 6 weeks. It was -40°F with winds of 40 mph. -100°F with wind chill. I was a construction surveyor so had to work in the cold and dark for a 10 hour shift. Wore every bit of clothes I owned, and that was about $1000 worth of clothes in 1976.

Anything below -40°F is life threatening, not fun, nor romantic. After 34 years of Alaska i happily moved to AZ. If i am never cold again, that is perfect. Personally, i prefer 110°F to anything below 0°F.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a good friend that lives outside of Green Bay, WI. He said yesterday, he bundled up well, walked down the lane to get his mail. By time he got back to the house, he was well tucked and his nipples had fallen off. I laughed so hard, my ribs hurt. I just appreciate anyone that can laugh about this kind of weather.

Be safe!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You have to watch those "temperature" reports... sometimes they are wind chill numbers. For instance, a couple days ago the overnight low temperature in Winnipeg was -29 °C; the report of -52 °C was presumably the "feels like" temperature resulting from a wind chill calculation. It's colder there now, but still nowhere near -52 °C.
Brian those reports are what the temperature "feels" like with the wind, and you may know that the wind blows well on the open prairie. Donna posted that -52 or -62 in Winnipeg overnight Monday. Here it stayed all day at -33C actual with -51C to -52C windchill. This morning the wind is down so it "feels" like only -45C BUT the actual temperature is -38C. This is not breaking until Friday so likely the kids will be off school for three days. Unfortunately our son and daughter in law both have to go to their schools, our son will have no pupils but our daughter in law teaches at a Hutterite colony and they send the kids across the yard to the school no matter what! We live an hour and a bit south of Winnipeg.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
-32 deg F this morning and about -50 below windchill
Supposed to be slightly colder tomorrow morning
Cold but certainly nothing earth shattering or anywhere near a record
This weather is a free gift from our Canadian neighbors who are generous enough to share
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Steve I'd rather have this cold weather rather than those nice Colorado lows you send us which can dump a lot of snow!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Seems to me sometimes it is too cold to snow, snow likes moisture and without such it is bone chilling dry. sometimes the snow warms things up.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Brian those reports are what the temperature "feels" like with the wind, and you may know that the wind blows well on the open prairie. Donna posted that -52 or -62 in Winnipeg overnight Monday. Here it stayed all day at -33C actual with -51C to -52C windchill...
Yes, I know what windchill is; we're on the west end of that open prairie here in Edmonton. If people are going to report the windchill, they shouldn't call it the temperature, as the posted graphic did, since it not the same thing.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #20

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
cold I don't care for

For our honeymoon we left SF area and headed to Minot, ND for a couple of years, no 1 week in Hawaii for us. That was where we learned about trailers and the cold. Of course a 1954 trailer didn't compare with current trailers but we did cope very well, remember this was our honeymoon and we were young. The coal oil furnace worked very well and the gas lights helped some. We didn't plan on any more cold and headed back to sunny Cal but some how we spent a lot of years in Utah, Co. and OK before we landed in AZ. We are here to stay.
Azjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote