Cold weather camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Cold weather camping

There are a few members of this forum who use their Escape trailers all winter. The various options which render these trailers more or less winter capable are what drew us to the brand in the first place, and are rare in the industry. My hope is that folks will share tips, strategies and stories here as we move into colder weather.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

"Drag Chains"

You are required to have these chains for your trailer in Washington, California, and perhaps several other states. The complex details are here. Chain Up Information

I totally got into the weeds when I began research into this topic as I assumed "drag chains" somehow dragged on the ground. Well it so happens you can buy "chains" which drag on the ground for other wheeled equipment but not for trailers. It took a phone call to a Washington State tire dealer to explain to me that drag chains are simply tire chains for the trailer wheels. We now have three sets of these. Peerless Chain Auto Trac Light Truck Snow Chains – 0232405-Tire Chains-Winter-GEAR - Sport Chalet

We found them in sizes to fit both trailer and Rav4 and were able to install in about one minute, at least on bare ground and 60 degrees. Hope the ratchet holds up.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It depends on if you can get hookups. I use a heated water supply hose and with the Escape furnace or back up electric heat it is very comfortable. I have the extra insulation, thermal package and spray foam. Also the hyper vent pad under the bed. Keep you blinds open to allow any condensation to dry off the window frames. Some petroleum jelly on the rubber around the door should keep it from freezing shut. Also carry a can of lock de-icer.
If no water hookups then winterize the unit via a pump bypass set up and leave the anti=freeze bottle hooked up. That way you can use the toilet if there are none available.
Other than that enjoy the solitude.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

We are going to dry camp for the first winter as we have enough to do learning all the other systems plus driving the thing. Next winter I'll want to experiment with using the fresh water system in cold weather. I wonder if just keeping the tanks at 40 degrees via the heat tapes will be enough to keep the entire trailer above freezing while we are away for a few days. I hate to have to drain the system every time we want to leave the unit for a long weekend.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #5

I do not believe the tank heaters come on until 32 and off at 40, check with ETI. But with solar and your furnace on low it should be fine.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Do the heating tapes cover all 3 tanks or just the black and grey tanks ?
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #7

Just the fresh and grey as the black tank in most models is inside. You can get the fresh installed inside on the 19', under the bed as an option.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
At minus 2 deg C in Jasper and minus 8 deg C at Lake Louise and snow 2 weeks ago we turned the tank heaters on, topped up the propane tanks and kept the furnace on low, made sure the outside shower was drained, and checked front box to ensure nothing there could freeze. If you have access to power at the site I suggest carrying a small space heater. Had two locks freeze and used a lighter to heat it up. Had the cover for the black/grey tanks snap a small plastic clasp. A little more condensation at cold temps particularly the front window and found keeping the trailer warm with good air circulation helped.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 19ft
How did you drain the outside shower?
donehrlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Just drained the hose by unscrewing it.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #11

I would put a piece of reflectix between the front window and the awning rock cover to give it better "insulating value" in the winter's nights.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
There are a few members of this forum who use their Escape trailers all winter. The various options which render these trailers more or less winter capable are what drew us to the brand in the first place, and are rare in the industry. My hope is that folks will share tips, strategies and stories here as we move into colder weather.
Winter is such a relative term. For those living far south in areas where summers are unbearably hot, winter is the time of year when the Escape trailers come out and the camping season is in full swing. Where I live in northern Alberta, the winters can be unbearably cold for months at a time. I find that it is usually cold enough by mid to late October such that it is necessary to drain all of the lines and tanks and winterize with RV antifreeze. My Escape has the extra insulation and the dual pane windows, which helps to stretch out the camping season for me. Although some do use their trailers all winter long (often not using any of the plumbing in the system and having their propane furnace run continuously), I prefer not to be towing my trailer on icy roads or on wet slushy roads, particularly with all of the road salt used in the cities and on the roads around here. By end of October, my Escape will be winterized and will sit in my yard all polished up and covered, ready and waiting for spring. Depending on how good the spring weather is, April will typically be the month where I take off the cover and get ready for that first camping trip of the year.

Am still hoping to get out with the Escape for 1 or 2 more weekend trips before the winter season hits.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Winter is such a relative term. For those living far south in areas where summers are unbearably hot, winter is the time of year when the Escape trailers come out and the camping season is in full swing. Where I live in northern Alberta, the winters can be unbearably cold for months at a time. I find that it is usually cold enough by mid to late October such that it is necessary to drain all of the lines and tanks and winterize with RV antifreeze. My Escape has the extra insulation and the dual pane windows, which helps to stretch out the camping season for me. Although some do use their trailers all winter long (often not using any of the plumbing in the system and having their propane furnace run continuously), I prefer not to be towing my trailer on icy roads or on wet slushy roads, particularly with all of the road salt used in the cities and on the roads around here. By end of October, my Escape will be winterized and will sit in my yard all polished up and covered, ready and waiting for spring. Depending on how good the spring weather is, April will typically be the month where I take off the cover and get ready for that first camping trip of the year.

Am still hoping to get out with the Escape for 1 or 2 more weekend trips before the winter season hits.
Correct. It's all relative. Using my trailer "all winter"? Of course. Winter is PRIME camping season in South Texas. January in San Antonio is usually highs in the 50's and 60's, lows in the 40's. A cold snap or two can make that go lower, but it's a nice time of year. While northerners are shoveling snow, I'm deciding which way the putt breaks....
Old 09-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
im trying to figure this winter camping thing out. We PNW(Olympia)dont get a lot of super cold days but we get some. Not sure if winterizing means shutting down and blowing out the whole syestem or just doing the water lines /water heater /grey white tanks and keeping the black tank functional with addition of anti freeze. My trailer is fully insolated with the dble windows and under foam.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
. Some petroleum jelly on the rubber around the door should keep it from freezing shut.
Are there any other ideas to keep door from freezing shut, other than petroleum jelly?
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
im trying to figure this winter camping thing out. We PNW(Olympia)dont get a lot of super cold days but we get some. Not sure if winterizing means shutting down and blowing out the whole system or just doing the water lines /water heater /grey white tanks and keeping the black tank functional with addition of anti freeze. My trailer is fully insolated with the dble windows and under foam.
I think "winterizing" means shutting down all the systems and getting the trailer for storage. It is discussed extensively elsewhere in this forum. Personally, I am interested in hearing about folks strategies for USING their trailers in "cold weather" however you wish to define it. We have already had several helpful comments in this regard.

An earlier poster mentored that the fresh water tank was "outside the trailer" which is true structurally. However if you have the foam insulation on the bottom it is within the heated space of the trailer. It will be interesting to see how resistant this is to freezing. I am wondering if I wasted a couple hundred bucks on the tank heaters as the furnace, even on low may keep everything liquid.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Are there any other ideas to keep door from freezing shut, other than petroleum jelly?
Jamie, what are your concerns about petroleum jelly?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 19'
yes, after a superficial search, some say the rubber may be damaged. may depend on variables such as natural or synthetic rubber, and the composition of the petroleum jelly. I also think it may tend to be potentially messy.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Silicone spray (or in a tube) lubricant is the common product for this situation in motor vehicles. I use it on my van door seals and it helps reduce freezing. An example is MotoMaster Silicone Lube at Canadian Tire; its Features includes:
Quote:
Prevents sticking and stops squeaks
Protects rubber mouldings and weather stripping
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
An earlier poster [mentioned] that the fresh water tank was "outside the trailer" which is true structurally. However if you have the foam insulation on the bottom it is within the heated space of the trailer.
Well, its on the edge. The temperature at the bottom of the tank will be much lower than on the surface of the floor... and the floor may not be so toasty warm. The first thing I would expect to freeze is the plumbing from tank to pump, so if I were putting in tank heaters I would want that line heat traced.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote