Cold weather travel - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Beware of anything like that being free!
A school in N VT got some free gravel from a mine nearby....years later they found that the free gravel from the Asbestos mine also had asbestos in it!

Another example...a public water system got free gravel from some nearby road blasting and put it around the access to their well....later during testing for perchlorate they found it in the well...likely from the blasted rock since perchlorate is an accelerant commonly used in, among other things, blasting powder....

Nutting is free...
The uranium refining operation in Port Hope, Ontario, produced waste soil and rock, some of which was used to backfill around newly constructed foundations. As a result many buildings have high radon gas levels in their basements due to decay of the radioactive waste. The massive cleanup operation has been underway for decades.

You don't always get what you're supposed to, and what someone wants to sell you might not be what you would want if you understood what it was.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I totally agree with Brian’s post number 40 on this. I have had a little buddy heater for many years. I have only used it in two applications/
#1 As a leg and ankle warmer while setting outside in lawn chars, tailgating at a big ten football game in the late fall.
#2. In a fabric ice fishing shelter that I owned which had a double Zipper that I could open up at the bottom where the heater sat and at the top, to let air out of the enclosure. I never zipped everything up tight.
Even though it’s supposed to have a low oxygen shutoff, I always rationalized not trusting it by asking”If the whole unit only cost $69, how much could they have spent on the shutoff device”.

The only reason I had it was to keep my hands warm as I like to fish without gloves. Every so often I’d catch a nice fish that flipped off as I was bringing him up out of the hole. I could usually grab him before he got turned around and got away. But my arm got wet up to about my elbow. So I would towel my arm off and take my flannel shirt off and pin it above the heater to dry the sleeve.
I used the heater many times. The heater never let me down but I never trusted it with my oxygen supply. YMMV
Iowa Dave