Coleman A/C Quieter??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Coleman A/C Quieter???

Getting ready to place our 5.0 order. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are now that we've had some time to process the new options for 2021. Do we think the new Coleman will be significantly better than the Dometic? Will it be quieter? That seems to be the biggest issue with the Dometic. We do camp for quietness, so a crazy loud unit seems contradictory :-)

Keep cool!!!
Jackie
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Cool

The price difference is $240 for USA buyers. Yeah, every little item adds-up, but in the long-term big-picture that doesn't seem like much (I assume that most buyers of the E5.0 look at it as a long-term proposition).

Will it really be quieter in a way that's meaningful for you (i.e. worth $240 over the ownership of the trailer)? Maybe, maybe not, but what's the chances it would be worse than the Dometic in terms of noise?

Nope, no direct answer / suggestion in that, maybe just a way to look at the decision that will be helpful.

We 'pays our money and takes our chances' as the saying goes; amortized over the life of a trailer, that doesn't strike me as much money to 'gamble', especially if A/C noise is a concern.

Good Luck with your decisions!

Noting you maybe have no trailering experience, I'd offer that a huge number of folks who camp in hot weather are very happy to have a 'traditional noisy' A/C in their trailers. IMO while we'd all gladly take something quieter, it's a misimpression to characterize what we live-and-sleep-with as "crazy loud". Just sayin'
Old 08-26-2020, 11:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 NoBo
I personally enjoy some white noise while I sleep so "loud" A/C units don't bother me if they're not rattling or something. In my mind, I don't really see much value in a bluetooth-operated air conditioner for a trailer; and I say that as probably one of the youngest of the demographics ordering an Escape!

My biggest question in regards to the premium expense would be is the unit physically smaller or lighter weight? That might be of value if you're trying to cut weight without sacrificing niceties.
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can you find out if the new Coleman is the Coleman-Mach 10 NDQ? This video is interesting if it is.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
During the 2021 pricing Escape live stream last week, Karl mentioned that they haven't tried a Coleman inside an Escape to see whether it is quieter in practice or not.

These 2021 options were "rushed out" so they could get 2021 pricing to people since there were no more 2020 construction slots left.

Finalizing the options list can wait until 90 days before construction starts, so we and Escape all have until the end of September to finalize exactly what is being provided for each option (e.g., Lithium batteries) and can choose what options we will get.

All very exciting though!!!
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I can’t hear the current A/C on our Escape when it’s running so if the newer style is quieter , I will never know .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Jackie: If you want something quieter check out this thread. Don’t be fooled into thinking any unit Dometic or Coleman is currently producing is anything even approaching quiet.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post338351