Commissions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Commissions

I don’t know if the new owners are going to remunerate persons who show their Escapes to a person who successfully shows to a prospective buyer. Meaning that viewer later buys a new Escape. It may be worth a call to find out!
Old 08-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I don’t know if the new owners are going to remunerate persons who show their Escapes to a person who successfully shows to a prospective buyer. Meaning that viewer later buys a new Escape. It may be worth a call to find out!

Sorry, Sandra: I had to read that again to follow your meaning, so to restate: Is Escape Trailer Industries continuing the former ETI owner's (Reace and Tammy) practice of paying a 'show the trailer' fee to existing owners who do so? Good question!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Sorry, Sandra: I had to read that again to follow your meaning, so to restate: Is Escape Trailer Industries continuing the former ETI owner's (Reace and Tammy) practice of paying a 'show the trailer' fee to existing owners who do so? Good question!

If the potential customer buys an Escape and if that potential customer names the owner who showed the trailer.

Don't know answer, just adding that qualification.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Does Escape still give out consensual Information?

Does Escape still give out consensual Information?
If Escape has referred a person to you, I believe they know if that person subsequently buys, especially if they inform you. However I don’t think it hurts to let the viewers know that they will reward you, if they do in fact buy.😁
Old 08-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
In the past the buyer had to tell ETI that they want you to get the commission.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
If Escape has referred a person to you, I believe they know if that person subsequently buys,

ETI may give several names of customers willing to show. They wouldn't know which the potential buyer contacted.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
In the past the buyer had to tell ETI that they want you to get the commission.
Wouldn't call it a commission- likely a referral fee. I recently received a phone call asking if I was willing to still be an "Ambassador"- i.e. show the trailer. Said yes; had two inquiries the week before from potential buyers that ETI had given my phone number to.

Personally have never stated to anyone touring my trailer that there is a referral fee. If it happens it happens. Has happened about six times.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Not that I'd mind getting one, but it's pretty small considering the value of the sale. My mattress company will give me $100 referral fee on a $1000 mattress! (Anyone want to buy. Nolah?) If I were trying to make money I'd do better pushing mattresses.

But they ask who if anyone referred you.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I would guess that the answer is no.

I have had three referrals from people that bought an Escape since Reace left and none of them resulted in a referral fee.

I still like to show my trailer and help anyone who wants to buy an Escape with their build sheet - but I also realize that the only compensation will be the good feeling that comes from helping others.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Personally have never stated to anyone touring my trailer that there is a referral fee. If it happens it happens. Has happened about six times.
Same here. I'm not comfortable bringing it up, so I don't. I did just tell Escape to drop me from the list. Too many differences between my trailer and a new one and there are many owners in New England now with newer units then I. I did always enjoy giving tours though, nice meeting the people.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have received a number of referral checks when Reace and Tammy were the owners. Some were the full amount and some were split with another trailer owner.
We were very grateful either way. W haven’t shown the trailer for some time and the fact that it’s generation 1 and an early production model at that might be indication that potential buyers want to see the current design. In addition there are many more Escapes than there were a few years ago. We continue to tout our love for the Escape to potential buyers, current owners looking to upsize or whoever. The referral check is nice but meeting all the nice folks is a real plus too.
One person who looked at our Escape at the Land Between the Lakes, memorably called out to his friend, “Hey Jerry, come look at this Escape, it’s like a hotel in here.” That memorable quote meant a lot to me too.
Honda scooters in the 60s had a memorable slogan that was something like “You meet the nicest people on a Honda.” Escape would do well to repurpose that slogan. “You meet very nice folks when you meet Escape owners.” You’re welcome Karl.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Bob
You out typed me. I’m slow and verbose.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #13

You had to type more.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Our build sheet completed last December had a line near the top to list a referral person. It's certainly my assumption that they sent a check to the name I listed (name I received by calling Escape and asking for a trailer to view). Also they just sent me some business cards to use if I show our new Escape -- I am curious though as to what the commission is!
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #15

Historically gas been $200 CAD.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #16

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I would guess that the answer is no.

I have had three referrals from people that bought an Escape since Reace left and none of them resulted in a referral fee.

I still like to show my trailer and help anyone who wants to buy an Escape with their build sheet - but I also realize that the only compensation will be the good feeling that comes from helping others.
Since Jim Norman has been out of circulation I have been getting calls from interested parties. It turns out that showing our trailer is a combination of a 'labor of love' and time out of our schedule. Wearing masks also is a pain in the ass. I made several attempts to reach out to the new ownership with respect to the referral fee - something previous ownership dispensed. Received zero zip back from 3 emails and left at least two phone messages. It's not so much the piddling money that is sent as much as it was the principal for me. I wanted to hear back from a person. Finally I got through to someone today. She confirmed that that new ownership has the same policy in place. If a trailer sells and the buyer mentions you on the final contract, you'll get $200 CAD.

After drinking nearly a half fifth of Jack Daniels I did a few calculations. If Jim Norman stretches his convalescent period out about 6 months I might score about $400 in commissions. I know as soon as Escape gets whiff of the fact that he is up and running I'm chopped liver.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Finally I got through to someone today. She confirmed that that new ownership has the same policy in place. If a trailer sells and the buyer mentions you on the final contract, you'll get $200 CAD.

After drinking nearly a half fifth of Jack Daniels I did a few calculations. If Jim Norman stretches his convalescent period out about 6 months I might score about $400 in commissions. I know as soon as Escape gets whiff of the fact that he is up and running I'm chopped liver.
Ha! They charge you in Dollars nowadays(better for them) and pay you in Loonies(again- better for them). Hmmm, really seems like they're a bit tone deaf up there..
Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
As of July ETI still had a referral fee payment plan in effect. But note that the rules may have changed since T & R in that the payment is sent quarterly AFTER the trailer is picked up, not when final payment is made. We had a close friend pick up his trailer in early April and we did not receive a referral check until early July. Really no big deal to us but it is nice to get some mail money!

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #19

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post
As of July ETI still had a referral fee payment plan in effect. But note that the rules may have changed since T & R in that the payment is sent quarterly AFTER the trailer is picked up, not when final payment is made. We had a close friend pick up his trailer in early April and we did not receive a referral check until early July. Really no big deal to us but it is nice to get some mail money!

Steve
Please don't remind that USPS is involved...
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I have no problem telling the prospective buyers that ETI does award a small fee if they purchase a trailer and I make sure to give them the card provided by ETI when we bought. I think its win win.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote