Competitive Analysis - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Competitive Analysis

A couple of weeks ago at my wife's family reunion I was talking to one of her cousins about the reasons we ordered an Escape 21C and what we plan for travels. I told him we were getting solar so we could boondock and did not order an oven etc... Basically told him we really liked the small size of the Escape.

The idea of traveling in something small intrigued him as he called us yesterday to come over. He bought a 2022 Keystone 174RK. It's on the same size as the 21C but has a slide-out, appears to have the same 6 cubic foot Dometic refrigerator, heater and hot water heater as the Escape. It also came with a Dometic (it said Mach and it was pretty loud) AC, plastic sink, a pretty nice kitchen faucet, one 20 lb LP tank, manual jack, 10' power awning, the nice folding from the interior steps, only two stabilizers on rear, TV, Stereo, Microwave, 2 burner stove, Murphy Bed/Couch, dinette on the slide out, one basic battery, Solar Ready (Zamp Port & Controller), it had some sort of WiFi thing in the ceiling, decent storage and a single axle. It is a metal sided unit and has Dry weight of 4044 lbs.

Overall, it was nicely assembled but it didn't "feel" nearly as solid or durable as the Escape's I've seen in person. It was "nice" except for the mattress which was miserable.

For right around $17,000 less than the Escape 21C we will be getting in October the price point was definitely noticeable and I would assume if he took care of the overall structure he would get several years of enjoyment. He and his wife are right around 65 years old and no grandkids would be part of their adventures so that should help with longevity.

I'm happy for him BUT we a very glad we decided to purchase an Escape.

I guess my gut feel is that the Keystone is a disposable unit unlike the Escape being something that could handed down to the next generation.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Congrats on your impending E21C acquisition and congrats to the distant cousins for their Keystone acquisition. I hope many happy sMiles for all in their RV'ing adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I'm happy for him BUT we a very glad we decided to purchase an Escape.
I think you are smack on target with both of those sentiments

Predictably most on this forum, myself included, are happy with our choice of the molded fiberglass Escape and it's many positive attributes. We feel IMO justifiably fortunate to have the wherewithal to have realized our choice.

But I hope we all, like Willy B seems to do, also recognize the positive things that 'stickies' bring to the marketplace ....

They often facilitate entry into the fun of RV'ing for many folks and families which otherwise would not have that opportunity. We all certainly observe in our travels that the vast majority of folks out having fun and enjoying the lifestyle are in 'sticky' RV's of one shape or another, and IMO That's Great!

Sure, there's a huge range of user experiences relating to problems and longevity with 'stickies'. FWIW my observation has been
  • When folks treat their RV equipment as 'disposable', don't stay on top of maintenance or repair, and don't take steps to mitigate equipment shortcomings (make modifications), most often they reap exactly what they sow.
  • But I've also known a large number of 'sticky' owners who do stay on top of their rig's maintenance, repair, and modification; most of those folks have enjoyed relatively trouble-free and hugely enjoyable adventures for many years and many miles with their acquisition.
IMO it's great that there are choices in the marketplace; 'one size' (so to speak) has never fit 'all'; the reasons that folks make the choices they make are many, often complex, and may not be relatable to our own personal situations.

IMO it behooves all of us, like WillyB, to recognize and be happy for whatever folks and families manage to acquire and use for their own flavor of RV'ing enjoyment and building the wonderful experiences and memories that go with that.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:21 AM   #3

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Having owned Harley Davidson motorcycles over the years there is definitely a click of owners who talk down about the other brands. I've always felt that if you're dumb enough to ride on two wheels then you're cool enough to ride with me.

We're fortunate enough be to able to, at least try, own an Escape.

On another note, I've not yet had the "fortune" to own Silver with Red Interior Porsche 911 Turbo. Maybe some day.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2023 E19
The decision to purchase a new Escape was not something I took lightly.

A friend recently picked up a preowned 21’ Jayco stick-built trailer in excellent condition for less than than a third of the price that I will be spending on a new E19. It’s quite nice for what it is, and I’m sure they will enjoy it for a few years. However, they know what they bought and don’t expect it to last long term.

However, I’m looking for a small trailer that’s durable enough to use as away-from-home living quarters 2-3 days/week through the summer in the short term. I also want something that has a reasonable chance to last for the next 25 years (with proper care/maintenance/upgrades) and support extended travel during the winter months (when I’m able to do so) in the long term.

I don’t think there are many competitors, even in light of the E19’s recent price increases, that would be capable of fulfilling these requirements.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21NE
When researching a travel trailer to buy I read that entry level stickies are only designed to last for about 40 trips. So they are probably fine for a family who takes around 4 trips a year. They will get around 10 years of memories if they take care of it.

Escapes on the other hand are designed to last at least a couple decades (many more if taken care of) and we know from these forums that there people going on more than 40 trips in one year (almost non-stop traveling). So Escapes are definitely a huge step up from entry level stickies. And I figure the more quality stickies still don't last that long compared to an escape and plenty more headaches

And when deciding on an escape we read a lot of useful posts on here about factoring in resale value. When you look at what you will actually spend if you decide to sell down the road, the Escape is a tremendous value.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After owning 5 Escapes, my take is they hold their value and at resale time you will not lose much. Also it is nice to be an "Ambassador" and show your Escape to prospective owners. It reinforces your decision was correct, particularly when they purchase one.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I work on the principle that "Nobody has an ugly baby." I am delighted with my 2009 Escape 19, and I am happy to see others enjoying their own choices.

There have been times in my checkered career when I have been poor and could not afford the best, but I could make do and enjoy my life with the best of 'em. I respect those who can see the brighter side of life.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Those stick built are made to look nice. never seen one that dint come with a TV .I like the price of them also . about 90% of rv's seem to be them. I keep thinking 90% of the buyers cant be wrong. Then Every time I look at one close up. I always find reason I would not buy. The big question is that $17,000 you would save what would you do with it? sit in savings? If so it might be better in a fiberglass trailer. I know my 2020 escape is worth about 25% more than i paid for it. Much better than my stocks or CD's have done.I know some people are canceling there orders due to the new prices. anyone could guess the future ,But I Don't see these prices ever coming back down. I will say if I couldn't afford A escape I would have just as much fun in a pop up camper. The important thin is you cousins is happy!!
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
I work on the principle that "Nobody has an ugly baby." I am delighted with my 2009 Escape 19, and I am happy to see others enjoying their own choices.

There have been times in my checkered career when I have been poor and could not afford the best, but I could make do and enjoy my life with the best of 'em. I respect those who can see the brighter side of life.
I agree wholeheartedly with you... My resources have ebbed and flowed my whole life... But I always manage to have fun...