Considering an Escape - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Posts: 736
Another Escape vs. Oliver comparison.

Oliver goes on and on about their quality, yet they offer a one year overall warranty vs the two years offered by Escape. Never spoke to them about this as we are currently leaning toward keeping our 17B and doing what we can to render it more winter worthy.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #42
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,225
I would consider an Oliver, were it not for the lack of a permanent bed, the sterile interior, small fridge, and extraordinarily high cost for a small trailer. It wows me from a quality perspective, but it also has to fit my needs. In this case it doesn't. Thank goodness people have choices. There's no one trailer that suits everyone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,124
Back when I looked at Olivers I was mainly considering an Airstream. The price of the Oliver didn't seem too high in comparison.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
The price of an Escape may be too high if you can barely afford a Scamp.
The guy sleeping in a tent on a cold rainy morning probably thinks a 20 year old FG trailer is pure luxury
It's all in one's perspective . The cost of a new Escape is greater than what the average yearly household income is for my area.


An Escape may be a great value but by no means is it cheap or inexpensive.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA being ordered, currently 2001 16' Scamp
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom and susan View Post
I did custom floors , counters, fabric, faucet and U shaped dinette with and pedastle 18 inch table with cushion to create a lounge. The trailer was very comfortable and I had a great time making it uniquely my own. And the lower price didn't hurt either! Which ever brand you choose, I think fiberglass is a great choice. Good luck. Susan

can you show a picture of the pedastle? does that mean you have full size table and swap it with a smaller one when not eating inside?
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 3,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The price of an Escape may be too high if you can barely afford a Scamp.
The guy sleeping in a tent on a cold rainy morning probably thinks a 20 year old FG trailer is pure luxury
It's all in one's perspective . The cost of a new Escape is greater than what the average yearly household income is for my area.


An Escape may be a great value but by no means is it cheap or inexpensive.
In my experience, which may not be applicable to everyone, my Scamp cost almost as much as my Escape given all the money I had to spend to correct factory defects resulting from what I perceived to be shoddy construction.

I would also add that Olivers are also way heavier than Scamps, Casitas, and Escapes which equates to higher fuel costs due to reduced MPG.
__________________
What a long strange trip itís been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ,, Oklahoma
Trailer: 17
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Back when I looked at Olivers I was mainly considering an Airstream. The price of the Oliver didn't seem too high in comparison.
Also with Oliver, you can delete options to lower the price, link here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post199609
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
In my experience, which may not be applicable to everyone, my Scamp cost almost as much as my Escape given all the money I had to spend to correct factory defects resulting from what I perceived to be shoddy construction.

I would also add that Olivers are also way heavier than Scamps, Casitas, and Escapes which equates to higher fuel costs due to reduced MPG.
One would be led to believe that if you can afford an Oliver then one could also afford a proper tow vehicle and that MPG's would not be that big of an issue. Scamp and Casita are designed built and priced for a totally different market than Oliver.
When I was working , I worked 3 jobs and had only one weekend off per month . We camped in a tent because we could not justify a trailer for 3 weekends in the summer plus one week of vacation.
Now that I am retired and have the time off , I still can't justify the price of an Oliver especially living in an area where Winter lasts from October through April.
If you don't have the resources even a used FG trailer may be out of your reach.
My point was that for many an Escape or Oliver is an expensive trailer even if they are worth every penny.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:31 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 3,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
One would be led to believe that if you can afford an Oliver then one could also afford a proper tow vehicle and that MPG's would not be that big of an issue. Scamp and Casita are designed built and priced for a totally different market than Oliver.
When I was working , I worked 3 jobs and had only one weekend off per month . We camped in a tent because we could not justify a trailer for 3 weekends in the summer plus one week of vacation.
Now that I am retired and have the time off , I still can't justify the price of an Oliver especially living in an area where Winter lasts from October through April.
If you don't have the resources even a used FG trailer may be out of your reach.
My point was that for many an Escape or Oliver is an expensive trailer even if they are worth every penny.
I understood that, Steve. My comment about higher fuel costs was not based on my finances; it was a general statement. Some people will finance an RV (or other high cost luxuries) without considering the ancillary costs (translation: people have been known to make purchases they cannot fully afford). I could have easily afforded an Oliver as well as the added fuel costs. During my working years I invested wisely/made good choices and if I decided I wanted a new vehicle today, I would buy it today and it would not have to be financed. I purchased the Escape because I liked it much better than what struck me as "a hospital operating room on wheels."
__________________
What a long strange trip itís been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.