Consolidated list to check upon pickup.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Consolidated list to check upon pickup....

With the recent postings of various issues that some have experienced with their new Escapes, I wanted to make a list for myself to inspect and insure operation during our pickup. In the past I never gave it thought as Reace seemed to have always gone over the unit to insure everything works. But with growing pains comes quality control issues and now there seems to be some things to double check.This is not an all-inclusive list, pay attention at orientation.
1. The hot water by pass valve installation, it is correct?
2. turn on water pump and check for leaks at the outside shower connections?
3. windows, are they properly sealed and the panes appear to be sealed-remember to not tighten too hard when closing?
4. remote for the power awning and proper wrench to manual retract?
5. high wind sensor on awning operation?
6. furnace operation?
7. refrigerator operation?
8. solar set to wet cells and single battery?
9. all lights operating, in and out?
10.check the door operation for rubbing?
any other recent issues?
continued........
Old 10-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Jim , are you asking for others to add to your list of things to check ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Yes, things that have appeared/happened more than once recently, not necessarily one of a kind but trends that may seem to be happening.....
Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
How can you check the high wind self-closing operation?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
How can you check the high wind self-closing operation?
Wiggle the awning with your hand.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Wiggle the awning with your hand.
Duh, that makes sense! I was picturing a wind tunnel.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
any other recent issues?

ETI is sending us a new bathroom faucet. The diverter wasn't working and allowed water to stream out of the shower head whenever you turned on the faucet. While you can't really check it without water, you can see if the diverter moves up and down (ours was 'frozen' in place).

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
any other recent issues?

ETI is sending us a new bathroom faucet. The diverter wasn't working and allowed water to stream out of the shower head whenever you turned on the faucet. While you can't really check it without water, you can see if the diverter moves up and down (ours was 'frozen' in place).
Our 2017 also had a bad bathroom faucet. A small crack allowed the diverter to pop out when the faucet was used. I changed to a different make and a more flexible hose and have not had a problem since.

Here are a few I noticed and fixed myself.

Make sure whoever welded your step arms on did it correctly.
We did not notice until we were home a few weeks that one side is 1 34 inches lower than the other side. I made a wood spacer to level it. Whoever mounted the step to it just jammed a bolt and nut in and managed to cross thread it trying to fit them together. I kept quiet but noticed at the Escape rally several other newer trailers also had leaning steps.

Take a quick look in the door jamb and make sure the door striker is not backwards. That was a real puzzle as the door was getting harder and harder to open as we traveled home.

Make sure they sealed the floor drain correctly in the bathroom as water runs under the wall onto the floor if they did not when you take a shower.
Excites the wife a lot too.

If they are still using a 30 or 40 amp fuse at the battery carry a spare.
I and others upgraded the wiring and increased the fuse size to stop the occasional blown fuse for no good reason problem. This has affected more than myself.

I think Escape orders the frames ready to go so the below is due to whoever assembled the brake system.

Consider doing an earlier than normal first bearing lube.
I found 2 leaking seals , luckily they had not damaged the brakes just leaked down the side of the mounting plates and one non functional brake because someone crimped the insulation instead of the wire. I do not add grease to the hubs with the zerk fittings. If I did the excess grease probably would have soaked and damaged the brake surfaces.
Iowa Dave also had a non functional brake on his and I think it was the same rear drivers side brake.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #9

11. make sure the step is mounted level
12. check the bath faucet and floor drain caulk
Old 10-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Where are the inline fuses?

Locations of check valves (water heater?) (City water line?) How can they be relieved?

Tire speed rating?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #11

Perry,
Since you will be receiving your new Escape within the next week, why not let us know your findings with the dirty dozen and your tire ratings, the other items are easy to find. Take pictures of your delivery and post them. Here are some of my 2 deliveries from Dave....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0819.jpg   DSCN0017.jpg   DSCN0818.jpg  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Brake wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Our 2017 also had a bad bathroom faucet. A small crack allowed the diverter to pop out when the faucet was used. I changed to a different make and a more flexible hose and have not had a problem since.

Here are a few I noticed and fixed myself.

Make sure whoever welded your step arms on did it correctly.
We did not notice until we were home a few weeks that one side is 1 34 inches lower than the other side. I made a wood spacer to level it. Whoever mounted the step to it just jammed a bolt and nut in and managed to cross thread it trying to fit them together. I kept quiet but noticed at the Escape rally several other newer trailers also had leaning steps.

Take a quick look in the door jamb and make sure the door striker is not backwards. That was a real puzzle as the door was getting harder and harder to open as we traveled home.

Make sure they sealed the floor drain correctly in the bathroom as water runs under the wall onto the floor if they did not when you take a shower.
Excites the wife a lot too.

If they are still using a 30 or 40 amp fuse at the battery carry a spare.
I and others upgraded the wiring and increased the fuse size to stop the occasional blown fuse for no good reason problem. This has affected more than myself.

I think Escape orders the frames ready to go so the below is due to whoever assembled the brake system.

Consider doing an earlier than normal first bearing lube.
I found 2 leaking seals , luckily they had not damaged the brakes just leaked down the side of the mounting plates and one non functional brake because someone crimped the insulation instead of the wire. I do not add grease to the hubs with the zerk fittings. If I did the excess grease probably would have soaked and damaged the brake surfaces.
Iowa Dave also had a non functional brake on his and I think it was the same rear drivers side brake.
When I did the brakes replacement on the 2010 Escape
19, I found one crimp had been made on the plastic and the metal Sleeve had not been crushed. When I took it apart, the wires were butted up but there was corrosion and that set of shoes was not as worn down as the rest. They were making but not at full voltage. When I installed the new assemblies, I was careful to crimp each wire to the trailer loom and I slipped a heat shrink tube down each wire and sealed the the wires and crimp fitting while buckling up. Then I checked each wheel for brake adjustment to make sure all were at the same clearance and all came on to the same “friction” when brakes were applied. This all takes a few more minutes but it sure gives one peace of mind descending passes or driving through Chicago on the Friday before the Fouth of July. And when I review the day’s activities, as the sun sets in the west, I reward myself with an extra bottle of beer or a shot of not very expensive hooch. Maybe both, for medicinal purposes only. Thanks Ken for the 75 or so Key Limes from your tree. Rose and her gimlet juice don’t have nothing on me. Camped tonight at Kentucky Horse Park north of Lexington. Very nice.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
E411805B-544E-4F43-A6E5-044ACF4AF40B.jpg  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #13

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I've been working on this question list for a few weeks and the last two were gathered from this thread.

Questions To Ask

I'm sure there will be more questions added on the drive across ND and Canada.

I will also be doing a complete walk-around and checking things I already expect to be working.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-22-2018, 04:58 AM   #14

Good start, #1 and #3 are the same, replace one with "check for leaks behind o/s shower"
Old 10-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #15

Trailer: None now
Another you can check is make sure the screws from the table post base do not penetrate the fiberglass on the bottom of the trailer. This can affect the 19 with the plywood against the shell. I'm not sure how others are setup, the 21 has a raised floor so it would not have the problem. On mine I had several screws that broke through completely and the rest just cracked the surface. My replacement Springfield did not do this because I ground the tips off the wood screws to shorten them to fit.
A dab of caulk over each hole in the shell fixed it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can see that Escape may have to start scheduling all day orientations soon.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With the recent postings of various issues that some have experienced with their new Escapes, I wanted to make a list for myself to inspect and insure operation during our pickup. In the past I never gave it thought as Reace seemed to have always gone over the unit to insure everything works. But with growing pains comes quality control issues and now there seems to be some things to double check.
1. The hot water by pass valve installation, it is correct?
2. turn on water pump and check for leaks at the outside shower connections?
3. windows, are they properly sealed and the panes appear to be sealed-remember to not tighten too hard when closing?
4. remote for the power awning and proper wrench to manual retract?
5. high wind sensor on awning operation?
6. furnace operation?
7. refrigerator operation?
8. solar set to wet cells and single battery?
9. all lights operating, in and out?
10.check the door operation for rubbing?
any other recent issues?
continued........
Jim , since this is your 4th or 5th new Escape , I believe you are a at a distinct advantage over the usual Escape customer . You know where a lot of the gremlins are hidden
When we picked up our trailer we noticed some things that did not look Kosher to us but we were not sure ( trim missing / alignment issues ) Other problems did not show up immediately but a while later ( Leaks / Bad wiring / poor cabinet construction / broken framing / Etc )
I think it’s a sad commentary when it becomes necessary for the customer to spend a whole day inspecting the trailer upon pickup . To my way of thinking that task should have been completed before orientation / customer pickup
My other question is that these issues are well known on this forum so why isn’t ETI aware of them . Bad electrical splices come to mind . I’ve already had to repair 3 on my 2018 , 21 ft
These defects are impossible to catch on the day of pickup while performing a cursory inspection

( They need to crimp the copper conductor and not the plastic insulation —- It’s not that difficult ! )

Just my opinion
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Jim, since this is your 4th or 5th new Escape, how many more til your punchcard is full and you get a free one?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Jim, since this is your 4th or 5th new Escape, how many more til your punchcard is full and you get a free one?
I'll answer that after tomorrow nights drawing....
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'll answer that after tomorrow nights drawing....

I thought tomorrow’s draw determines whether the rest of us get the free ones and you get a Prevost [emoji16]