Cost of replacement cover for awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Cost of replacement cover for awning

Build list is due in two weeks on a 19 and still deciding on the awning. Being that the manual awning is exposed to the elements when rolled up, has anyone replaced their awning cover after ? years and what was the cost of a replacement cover? Thanks!
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have not replaced my awning cover after ten years, but from posts I've read, I think awnings in the southern US suffer more exposure to sun and deteriorate faster than here in BC.
The instructions say to clean using a soft brush and soapy water. I think some use cleaners containing bleach and don't rinse thoroughly, which can rot the fabric and stitches.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Our awning is 4 years old and shows no sign of age. once or twice a year I put 303 on it as recommended by a guy I knew who made custom awnings for boats.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Has anybody tried awning covers for the manual awning?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Has anybody tried awning covers for the manual awning?

I seem to recall one post. All the cover did was collect moisture and dirt.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I seem to recall one post. All the cover did was collect moisture and dirt.
Hey Glen Like you pointed out, down here in the South we're subject to additional solar stress on the awning. I'm trying to figure out a way to protect the thing.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #7

The one referenced was commercially available. Try Google for Carefree of Colorado ( assuming that's your awning ).
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
The one referenced was commercially available. Try Google for Carefree of Colorado ( assuming that's your awning ).
It's what ever manual awning Escape installs on the trailer. I think it's a Carefree but I did not know Carefree made covers for the manual awnings. They have a crank out with a cover. Glen, leaving here in about 6 weeks and 4 days.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #9

Found this on Google:
https://ca.bestdeals.today/pro-tech-...&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=s&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=333334850367&google_params[keyword]=pro%20tech%20rv%20awning%20covers&google_params[adposition]=1t4&google_params[adgroupid]=67099650601&google_params[campaignid]=1651795397&bs=azRKIdaLVVrb1vWTTbfdTZEE82gYFf10NGm tv3EBe60KiOwF0PKr5jG6P-9LjGw15tS4N7KaiIvCo_8ocTU7J9ZKiIs7iaw_&google_para ms[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=kwd-296143935102&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9001580&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&dest=0&sys_id=0|677&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2IH44Or74Q IVkv5kCh20SgOVEAAYBCAAEgIky_D_BwE
Old 05-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #10

Glen Thanks for the info
Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I tried the manual awning covers, just giant pieces of plastic that slid on and off, either 3x4' sections or 3x6' for over lap. Anyway, come springtime the awning was covered in mold and dirt. I gave the covers away to another forum member. That is why the power awning with protective case is so nice....
Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have used the covers on our trailer now for about 5 years . They are invaluable for uv's which destroy the awning. Our awning is pristine . Think it matters where you live . We have to be concerned with uv rays . Very little dirt and no mold when we remove . We install just at home if trailer is sitting. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0533.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We have the Pro Tech Awning Cover, and found that while they protect the awning from the sun, they allow water in. In the spring, on our first camping trip, we end up spending time cleaning the water and mildew off the awning. We now leave the cover off during the rainy season. Next year, I plan to cover the awning (and roof) with a tarp to hopefully keep water out of the awning. We used to have a cover that zipped over the awning of a prior camper and sure wish there were a way to put one on our manual awning.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
PVC Awing Cover

Those storage PVC covers are pretty easy to make with a trip to the Depot. So far the treating with 303 twice a year has kept ours perfect. We do have one burn mark from a spark from the campfire, but that just makes it a legitimate awning.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #15

Thanks for the info folks. I think the 12' Protec A-12 cost about $100 plus shipping. It appears that if the trailer sits for a spell there might be a mildew issue. We live in a very humid area (South Carolina swamp) so this is something I have to take into consideration. Thanks a bunch for your input.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
Shadepro

We just sold our Casita which had an 8' A&E WINDOW awning we installed on the street side many years ago. The fabric was starting to wear out, so I contacted Shadepro for new fabric before we sold the Casita. It was about $118 delivered. It arrived and was 5" too narrow! I called them and they sent out a replacement right away, free of charge.

I am getting window awnings for our new Escape. I know where I am going to be buying them from! Nice folks! It is nice to see a company stand behind its products and fix something when they make a mistake (and we all make mistakes, on occasion).

I don't know about awning covers, but if the fabric wears out, Shadepro is an option for replacement fabric.

I like the electric awning we ordered, even though it isn't going to work out in high winds or heavy rains. The other type of manual roll-up awning works fine - we've had three in three previous campers (pre-Casita). The problem is the way it is mounted on the Escape, about 6" of fabric is extended, which looked odd to me. Plus, those bolts!

I wonder why Escape doesn't use the FIAMMA F45-s that is standard issue on the Casita - it folds up flat and would fit in the recess on the wall of the newer Escapes. They use them on a lot of those Class-B motorhomes as well (Pleasureway, etc.).

If we hadn't gone with the electric awning, I think I would have ordered with no awning and bought a FIAMMA. They roll up onto an aluminum casing, so there is no fabric exposed. Nice folks, too. Our Casita didn't come with one, but the folks there sold me the brackets and put me in touch with FIAMMA Miami.

Robert Platt Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #17

Fourteen and half minutes video about an awning??
I skipped ahead and see that there is gap between the awning and the trailer, which allows water to drip down the side of the trailer.
Not for me.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
That was quick.

Quote:
Fourteen and half minutes video about an awning??
I skipped ahead and see that there is gap between the awning and the trailer, which allows water to drip down the side of the trailer.
Not for me.
It took longer than 14 minutes to install, of course. And as you can imagine, if you owned a Casita, you might want to watch the whole thing, as the install is tricky because the camper is curved - in a series of compound curves, no less.

That is the whole point - on an Escape (or a Class B where these FIAMMA awnings are quite popular) they would bolt FLAT to the side of the camper, with no gap.

Maybe this would explain it better:

https://faroutride.com/fiamma-f45s-awning-installation/

As you can see, it mounts flat with no gap. With the indent for the awning on the Escape, it would mount flush. Best of all, no exposed canvas.

But then again, the same is true of the power awning.

Beats having arms hanging out in the breeze - and the 6" of exposed canvas between the roller and the side of the trailer. The Carefree and A&E awnings are fine and all - I've had three of them on various campers over the years. But even in a "flush" mount, the leave canvas exposed, which can rot in the sun, much as our A&E window awning did.

FWIW.
Robert Platt Bell is offline   Reply With Quote