Costly Beauracratic ignorance Rant - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The waiter would probably be penalized if you're paying a cheaper bill, because of the lower tip.
Even worse, when the other customer received a bill which was too high they probably would have refused to pay it, and the waiter likely would be out of pocket for at least the difference in the bills... not just the tips.

People do need to be accountable for their mistakes, but only a jerk would deliberately take advantage of an innocent error such as this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #62

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The rarity of this situation is the very reason that the clerk - if genuinely ignorant of the correct procedure - should have contacted a more experienced for staff member for assistance. This wasn't a matter taking a best guess and moving on - the problem was clearly identified and explained by the customer, and response was arguing rather than seeking assistance.
Yes, and what makes it worse is that the OP stated that the clerk got her supervisor involved. One would expect that a supervisor should have a greater knowledge of exchange rates and procedures but apparently not in this case.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Under the "no good deed goes unpunished" heading, when I was in high school, and a bit of an academic nerd, I pointed out to a teacher how he had wrongly added points when grading everyone's test - to the advantage of us students. He looked at my exam, agreed, corrected my exam by lowering my score, but stopped there. All my classmates got to keep their "bonus" points. The test points didn't bother me, but what did bother me was the teacher's attitude about me pointing out his mistake. I don't remember what the exam was about, but I do remember the lesson the teacher tried to teach me that day - that honesty doesn't pay. Didn't work! I still believed in honesty. I just didn't believe in him anymore....
The teacher was warped but in a way did you a favor because the other students would have resented you if they’d lost points. The teacher should have owned up to it and let everyone keep all their points. I, too, had teachers who resented it when it was pointed out they’d made a mistake. Worse yet were teachers who couldn’t answer a question raised and would try to humiliate the questioner. It’s probably the same across all lines of work. The confident worker will admit a mistake while the insecure one digs in his-her heels — afraid of admitting lack of knowledge.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #64

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
This is beyond ridiculous, there is no way you should pay for the incompetence of the people you are dealing with. When registering my trailer last year in CT the clerk was confused and she called her supervisor over. The paperwork clearly stated what I paid in US currency which I pointed out. The supervisor said no problem, it doesn’t matter what the trailer is worth in anyone else’s currency, the tax is on what I paid in US dollars.

If you don’t get this straightened out this will just condone the incompetence of the people working in your DMV.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #65

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We’re watching our 10 month old grandson this week. He’s just starting to form words. It’s our fervent mission to make sure his first real word is “bear” . My wife taught for 25 years, She is adamant that teaching begins at home. Whether it’s knowledge, ethics, behavior and the many other components of becoming a good citizen.
Iowa Dave
We took it to the extreme and just continued teaching our children at home into their teens. I like to think that in addition to academics they were well grounded in ethics and behavior. Each of them is making important contributions today.. I’m going to ask them whether it is hard for them to admit when they are ignorant on.a topic which is what started this whole thread. — a story of two clerks who didn’t want to admit ignorance.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Yes, and what makes it worse is that the OP stated that the clerk got her supervisor involved. One would expect that a supervisor should have a greater knowledge of exchange rates and procedures but apparently not in this case.
Not in our case , supervisors were also clueless about the trailer licensing process in 2013. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #67

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My wife taught for 25 years, She is adamant that teaching begins at home. Whether it’s knowledge, ethics, behavior and the many other components of becoming a good citizen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We took it to the extreme and just continued teaching our children at home into their teens. I like to think that in addition to academics they were well grounded in ethics and behavior.
I wish a lot more people thought like this. There would be far fewer problems in our society.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote