Crossing into Canada with stuff - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I usually recommend heading for Port Townsend via ferry from Whidbey and skipping the entire traffic corridor of I5 (Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia). But we are into windstorm season and you may not want waves or spray washing over the ferry deck onto your brand new trailer. Staying overnight before Seattle is not a bad idea, and then aim to hit Everett about 9 am. The only trouble with that is you might not make it through Portland by dinner time (you don't want to hit Portland after 4 PM).
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While you may want to get further south on your first day, when I picked up my 21, I stayed at Silver Lake Park in Maple Falls, WA. A couple of different campgrounds, some with water & electric, showers at the main campground. About 7 miles from Sumas, and a great starting point for a drive (without the trailer) to Artist's Point, but close enough to Chilliwack if you discover a reason to go back.

By the way, if you have a case of beer or wine, you may exceed the limits for importing into Canada without tariff (Last time I checked it was 24 bottles of beer or two bottles of wine per person). I left my "stuff" for the new 21 in a UHaul trailer at the Sumas UHaul location.
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV7882.jpg  
Old 11-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

By the way, if you have a case of beer or wine, you may exceed the limits for importing into Canada without tariff (Last time I checked it was 24 bottles of beer or two bottles of wine per person). I left my "stuff" for the new 21 in a UHaul trailer at the Sumas UHaul location.
If you are just going into Canada for orientation then back to Sumas to p/u trailer it make no sense to take any liquor across, especially if you buy it at the duty free, for on returning to the US you may then have to pay the duty, the idea of duty free is purchasing products which will not be returning to the country where purchased.

Believe it on not I bought a case of beer at our duty free heading south in September and still had a few cans left on returning to Canada in Oct (but had bought lots of beer in the US), the idea being to share some Canadian beer at the Mississippi rally. So I declared that Cdn beer under my exemption on returning to Canada.

I like Jon's idea of renting a unit in Sumas then not worrying about taking stuff into Canada that will be immediately returning to the US.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #24

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
The OP mentioned that you were concerned about traffic through Seattle. When we went up to check out ETI late this past summer, we ended up in line to cross the border into the US around noon. We had a wait, about 45 minutes to get across the border, and then we stopped for lunch at Bob's Burger and Brew. The upshot is that we ended up in rush hour traffic trying to get to Maple Valley (east of Tacoma). Not fun. One suggestion if you still want to get past Seattle the day of pickup is to consider the 405 which goes down the east side of Lake Washington. Still rush hour problems, but at least it isn't downtown Seattle.

I guess all that is to say that I think you are in a perfect setup to get to Seattle during rush hour if you stick to the original plan...

Nancy
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I honestly think if you do orientation and head south on the same day there is no way to miss the traffic going 405 or 5 unless you do an alternate route meaning either the coastal route mentioned above or eastern wa . Spending the night north of Seattle and hitting Seattle after 9 makes sense. Or if you really need to drive the same day hit Seattle late after 7 pm. Honestly some times ive driven that drive in the middle of the day and still hit horrible traffic both ways!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Bruce hosts his company's Christmas Party the evening of December 15th, so we have to make it back to Carson City by then or he will turn into Grinch. That is why he wants to make it as far south as possible on the 13th. I will check with ESI and see if there is any way they can move our orientation up. Our completion date is December 12.

Thank you everyone for your helpfulness!
Old 11-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
If you are just going into Canada for orientation then back to Sumas to p/u trailer it make no sense to take any liquor across, especially if you buy it at the duty free, for on returning to the US you may then have to pay the duty, the idea of duty free is purchasing products which will not be returning to the country where purchased.

Believe it on not I bought a case of beer at our duty free heading south in September and still had a few cans left on returning to Canada in Oct (but had bought lots of beer in the US), the idea being to share some Canadian beer at the Mississippi rally. So I declared that Cdn beer under my exemption on returning to Canada.

I like Jon's idea of renting a unit in Sumas then not worrying about taking stuff into Canada that will be immediately returning to the US.

Adrian
That is why I stored it. Since I was (still am) on an 8 month trip from upstate NY, If I wanted NY beer & wine, I had to take it with me. Since I was already bringing my "stuff" in a UHaul trailer, storing it at the dealer made sense (although they did charge me a storage fee based on the fact that they couldn't rent the trailer while my stuff was in it.

You would think that you could get some kind of seal for a box that is only going across the border for a day, and would not be opened, that would let you take it without duty, but I don't think either the US or Canada does it.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I honestly think if you do orientation and head south on the same day there is no way to miss the traffic going 405 or 5 unless you do an alternate route meaning either the coastal route mentioned above or eastern wa .
Heck, the Seattle corridor isn't much fun anytime during the day. We just put up with it when we're making miles. Slow going is still going and after gritting your teeth for a while it's done and you're South of Olympia. We usually stop at the last rest stop before Portland. Perfect when the objective is to stop, sleep and go. The rest stops South of Portland are good also.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I grew up in Olympia and boy has it changed! Now when I have to transit the Chehalis to Everett corridor on I-5, I do it at 3:00 am. There are good rest stops on both ends so I asleep / nap till its time to go. I find 405 just as obnoxious and avoid it too. I NEVER take Snoqualmie Pass heading east as there are constant construction or accident hold ups.... prefer Stevens Pass to the north much more or White Pass on the south end. Crossing into Eastern Washington in the winter may mean driving on miles of snow covered roads but at least its usually dry snow which gives you significantly more traction than Western Washington's wet stuff. I agree with those who suggested ferrying over to Port Townsend and heading south on 101. Its a great drive and snow is usually unlikely .... alternatively, head down Hood Canal, south to Shelton and Olympia. Typically, the difficult areas are behind you ... except for the 30 miles or so from Olympia to Chehalis. The reverse heading North works too.

If you already have your trailer ... whats the rush? If road conditions are a bit less than ideal ... find a place to "hole up" and wait for better weather. The only danger is that you might meet some really nice people.

My sympathy to anyone trying to pass through the Seattle - Tacoma area! The only worst place on the entire West Coast (maybe the world) traffic wise is taking 101 through San Francisco. Oh boy!

But then ... Life is but a journey ... eh?

Tom
Old 11-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

My sympathy to anyone trying to pass through the Seattle - Tacoma area! The only worst place on the entire West Coast (maybe the world) is taking 101 through San Francisco.

Tom
Well Salt Lake City and LA also come to mind. Heck, even our local traffic is now a nightmare. Like I said, I just grit my teeth and eventually I get where I want to. It's just the way it is now. I'm kind of leery about the Port Townsend by-pass. During winter storms it can subject to the ferries not sailing. Suddenly I wished that I was back on I-5 inching my way North.

Ron
Old 11-26-2017, 12:03 AM   #31

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I agree if I had the get there I would just grit my teeth and go through it I've done it many times. When traffic is getting to you stop and eat a meal.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I grew up in Olympia and boy has it changed! Now when I have to transit the Chehalis to Everett corridor on I-5, I do it at 3:00 am. There are good rest stops on both ends so I asleep / nap till its time to go. I find 405 just as obnoxious and avoid it too. I NEVER take Snoqualmie Pass heading east as there are constant construction or accident hold ups.... prefer Stevens Pass to the north much more or White Pass on the south end. Crossing into Eastern Washington in the winter may mean driving on miles of snow covered roads but at least its usually dry snow which gives you significantly more traction than Western Washington's wet stuff. I agree with those who suggested ferrying over to Port Townsend and heading south on 101. Its a great drive and snow is usually unlikely .... alternatively, head down Hood Canal, south to Shelton and Olympia. Typically, the difficult areas are behind you ... except for the 30 miles or so from Olympia to Chehalis. The reverse heading North works too.

If you already have your trailer ... whats the rush? If road conditions are a bit less than ideal ... find a place to "hole up" and wait for better weather. The only danger is that you might meet some really nice people.

My sympathy to anyone trying to pass through the Seattle - Tacoma area! The only worst place on the entire West Coast (maybe the world) traffic wise is taking 101 through San Francisco. Oh boy!

Tom
Have to agree about San Francisco . And don't do what we did and mistakenly end up on the Golden Gate bridge and don't worry they take a picture of your license and you get a nice bill in the mail . Then when you get off the bridge trying to get out of San Francisco pulling our trailer . Never want to ever do that again . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I don't know why they refer to this as "Rush hour"? We've taken as long as 2 hours just to get through Toronto, but then I'm retired so there's no need to hurry!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
bad for mpg's.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
Hello all,
We will be heading to Canada for our Escape 5.0TA orientation which takes place at 9AM on December 13! Since we will have a couple of days camping on the way back, we need all kinds of STUFF to get by. How big of a deal is it going to be to take a pick-up load of miscellaneous stuff into Canada overnight for the orientation and then transport the stuff back out again to put into our trailer when we take delivery on the US side?

Also, Bruce wants to drive a few hours south on I-5 before stopping for the night. If we leave Canada at noon, will we run into awful traffic getting past Seattle? And can anyone recommend a facility at which to camp south of Seattle?

Thanks so much!
Z
Make sure that you have a full tank of gas as its way more expensive in Canada than in the US.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:

Tom
I've forgotten what the cities can be like - I get frustrated when I have to wait 15 seconds at one of the two stoplights in the entire county!
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... I don't know why they refer to this as "Rush hour"? We've taken as long as 2 hours just to get through Toronto, but then I'm retired so there's no need to hurry!!! Alf
The Japanese call it, "rush awa"!

Yes, I remember those lanes in Toronto --- eight on one side maybe?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
The Japanese call it, "rush awa"!

Yes, I remember those lanes in Toronto --- eight on one side maybe?
Hi: float5... In the thick of it, 9 each direction... but they don't charge for parking!!! The new 407 ETR(Toll) http://www.407etr.com is about 40 bucks each way. It gets you out of the "Parking lot" but you get back in it again after 50 min. Takes us 8 hours from south of London to Ottawa no matter what time or day!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #38

After returning from Viet Nam, I was stationed at Fort Lewis & lived off base. Made the commute down I5 with all the crazy people that drove 70MPH in fog that's thick enough that you couldn't see the front of your hood. The first time I did the drive in fog I slowed down, got lots of 1 finger salutes, horns, etc. I guess the locals feel the lane marker bumps make it "OK" to drive that way, but I sure was uncomfortable. Do they still do that?
Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If any of my recent trips to McChord and Ft. Lewis are any indication Jon, I'd say yes. Weather seems to have very little influence on their speed.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If any of my recent trips to McChord and Ft. Lewis are any indication Jon, I'd say yes. Weather seems to have very little influence on their speed.
Yes, it can be pretty crazy. It also seems that truckers are much more aggressive both speed wise and staying in the left lane.

Ron