David Murphy - a change of plans - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2022, 11:19 PM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Still reeling from receiving this news when you called me, David, and of course I again join the other members in hoping the best for you, Mary, and the cats.

Some here may recall my several posts describing that that you were the person who first gave me a tour of your 5.0, and we all know where that led. We've had occasion to meet several times since, always a most enjoyable happening. I owe you so much and will continue to try to pay that forward in the same spirit you have assisted me.

I know we'll see each other in the near future and I very much look forward to that. In the meantime, hang in there dear friend.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:13 AM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
David,
So sorry to hear of your setback. We will be praying that your treatments will be successful and you have a speedy recovery. Hopefully you will be back on the road soon and posting more of those calendar worthy travel photos.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:54 AM   #43

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
David,

You were the first person to reply to my very first post on these forums. Thank you for that. Stay strong. You have lots of amazing support here.
MD-Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Always enjoyed and learned from your posts.
Prayers for a miracle
Old 03-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Always sorry to hear of members serious illness. Seize the day. David has always been generous with his time and knowledge. Words really are too poor of a vehicle to express sympathy.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #46

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
So sorry to hear the news. I truly hope that you are one of the miracles that helps to extend the life expectancy for this dramatically!
Old 03-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #47

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Sorry to hear this news David.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:31 AM   #48

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
You have always been so kind and helpful, David! Good Luck with your treatment and the wisdom of your providers!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:30 AM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
David, I always enjoy your posts.

I will be thinking of you both. My wish is that all who are on your treatment team are at the tiptop of their skills and compassion as your journey continues.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Best wishes, David. I truly hope you continue on for a good while.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:04 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 E19
So sorry to hear. I'm glad you stopped to "smell the roses", along the way. Hoping you smell a lot more.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:13 PM   #52
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I will throw a log in the fire ring for you, wishing you the best David.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Best wishes David. My close call was 53 months ago. Since then I practice Only Love.

Wishing you good thoughts, a sound recovery and an optimistic future (with us)!

Love, ONLY LOVE!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Peace!!!

Hi: davidmurphy02... "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans". Follow the Dr's orders. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
No way to sugarcoat this news, I have been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer which has already metastasized to my liver. Those of you who know about these things will understand that this is not great news and due to the advanced nature it has limited treatment options - just one, in fact - chemotherapy. The survival time overall is in the 12-14 month range, but some people do better and of course miracles do happen - just not very often. This is what Alex Trebeck had and he went on for a good while, so I hope to do my part to extend the average as well.

25 years ago I quit my corporate job, we bought a trailer, and hit the road traveling extensively for several years. At the time many of our friends and family thought we were a little crazy. But we love the outdoors and in our travels noticed that when we hiked to the top of a mountain we didn't run into a lot of 80 year olds. I figured that we should do as much of that as we could while we were young and fit, and that I could always sit at a desk and do accounting work later in life. That turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. I returned to full time work after several years but we kept the trailer and traveled whenever we got the chance. We have had many, many wonderful adventures and good times rather than working endlessly and putting off everything for our golden years.

When that first trailer wore out and we found Escape a few years ago we thought we'd be set for many more years of wonderful adventure and an actual retirement. We were able to take two long trips last year that convinced me I needed to retire for good and be able to travel freely. Next week we were set to head west on a 10 week trip. Instead I will be making much shorter trips to my oncologist for chemotherapy. So if you at all have the means to travel or do whatever it is you really want to do to enjoy life, don't put it off - DO IT NOW. I am certainly unhappy to be in my current situation at only 67, but I've been doing a lot of what I want for several decades and am unhappy mainly because I wanted to live forever and thought I was just getting started.

Over and above the wealth of technical expertise and advice I have received from forum members, even more valuable is the feeling of fellowship and support. The Escape family is one of the best things about having an Escape. Although our Spring trip is off, I will begin planning a fall trip in the hopes that I may be in between chemo regimens then and feeling well enough to travel - it's always good to have something to hope for and look forward to.

I will look forward to traveling vicariously through all of you for a while and hearing about your adventures!

David, I don't believe we have ever met but I have loved following your posts. Sending prayers, positive energy and healing thoughts your way.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:38 PM   #56

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
Sending thoughts prayers and positive healing energy your way
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:30 PM   #57

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Positive thoughts and wishes to you. Hoping for that "miracle".
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Very good advise David. You are truthfully a wise compassionate man!!!
JEFF KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #59

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
David

I always read your posts and appreciated the info you could pass on, one reason we have the ram truck and a 5th wheel was thanks to you and we always enjoy your cat pictures. We hope you have all the luck to extend your travels. Thinking of you.
AZjack and Nancy Allen
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #60

Trailer: 2020 E19 "Escape Haven"
Bless you, David, for the kind and generous gift you have just given us all with your words and wisdom. Thank you.

We are holding you in our hearts and in our prayers.

Penny & Charles
OneCentHillman is offline   Reply With Quote